Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I was at home for the weekend that’s why I was surprised at what people were describing. Was at the coast in Waterford on Sunday it was windy showery and certainly not warm. Beautiful evening in Barcelona just sitting out watching the world go by. Acequion I could t agree more with your sentiments..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Actually a covered area using corrugated iron and corrugated plastic, nice and sheltered from any wind and a suntrap, ceiling high enough to have a BBQ, good to sit in any weathers with a mug of coffee be it pelting down or relaxing in the sun ( actually changed the roofing a bit as it proved too warm ( shock horror yes in Ireland 😀 ), took out two plastic sheets and replaced with iron ), no sun today unfortunately although mild and humid feeling getting up to 15.9C, breezy for a time this evening.

Pic: end Feb 2021 ,I had just finished it, have also added gutter and downpipe to drain water off the roof into the pond ( going to extend it about 6ft in the Autumn!).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Ah for Kerry in general it has been very dry over the last couple of weeks, yeah the odd bit of a local shower in parts but drying very well with good levels of sunshine and the light breeze doing it's bit also. No drought for sure but by Irish standards it sure has been a grand spell in Kerry. As for different perceptions of weather conditions, it goes without saying that on any given day people in Ireland or even the same county or locality will feel the weather differently. I stay well clear of getting into debates ( if at all possible 😁 ) about what is warm v hot, cool v cold etc. etc. , the fact is Ireland, although not extreme, does have varied weather from location to location and people including myself perceive weather differently depending on their own experience not to mind adding age, preferred clothing types, outdoors person v indoors person, male /female, fit or unfit, weight, mood, healthy or infirm, after a meal or hungry or hangry! In my work I have taken to turning down the heat as low as I can get away with much to the annoyance of my female colleagues! Regularly if I am in the office and people are out I will go around and open all the windows and doors to air the place, have often seen others gasp on return ' what in the name of God are you doing !🤣 and a mad dash to turn up all the heaters again.

I think for me I like variety of weather the most, good winters wrapped up for bracing walks and later a comfy chair with a nice fire, Spring days working in the garden, cool enough not to get too warm, enjoying the changing seasons and the resurgence of growth and wildlife beginning its yearly cycle, long warm summer days with clear blue skies ( and the odd thunderstorm! ), dry, fresh, warm to cooler Autumn days and wondering if we will get snow or any storms in the coming winter. But for me over this weekend just passed was so enjoyable with beautiful weather, no onshore winds or heavy showers , great light in the evenings, after a busy week at work the extra day off was so relaxing and reviving too, was even sun bathing 😀 .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭pad199207

A blustery night out there but mild after an increase in temperatures the last hour or so to 14°c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Beautiful bright moon. 12⁰ Meath. Shame forecast poor for next few days. Been enjoying dry spell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Managed to finally get the lawn cut yesterday evening. Can't believe it's only been the 3rd cut of the season and were already into the 1st week of May. This time last year I was on about cut number 7 or 8 by 1st week of May. Getting to the time of year where the lawn needs to be cut once per week until September, currently the lawn is only getting cut every 3 to 4 weeks the weather has been so wet since end of February with the exception of the past 3 days.

A very wet 7 day period coming up starting from later today, many areas can expect 50 to 70mm of rainfall over the next week with plenty of showers around or longer outbreaks of rain at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭OldRio

Cloudy and windy. Very strong winds reducing the temperature. Leitrim

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sun's out now in Greystones. 13.1c atm. Not windy however there is a fair old swish in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Breezy and some hazy sunshine. Decent day

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Nice job meteorite, mine is about the same size and braced to the ground like that too. I have decking on the floor and a full corrugated roof facing west to get the evening summer sun. Great for drying clothes in winter and spring, I am delighted with it. Can't post pics, haven't a clue. Nice day in Meath so far but a strong east breeze and I can just imagine how miserable it's going to be when the rain arrives.

• Advertisement

Good drying out. Very breezy in Meath. Only 13⁰ in that breeze. Wonder will the rain pass quickly when it arrives for kids outdoor activities this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lovely May day in Cork City today, about 9 degrees and raining, exactly the type of weather you expect in May and a month before summer starts.

/sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

From Met Eireann

The first-ever image from the MTG-I1 satellite has been released today

Once fully operational, MTG will allow us to monitor our weather and climate in unprecedented detail.

18th March 1150

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

heavy rain has started here in Meath, the dry few days was nice while it lasted. Back looking into the depths of FI searching for some dry weather.

Nice while it lasted indeed, moderate rainfall from around midday here in Kerry and going by the models there will be no let up here until maybe tomorrow morning, back to keeping a close eye on the charts to plan outdoor work and leisure activities but there should be clear spells tomorrow in places but showers for some at times also, back to sticking the head out the window to see will I chance it 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Heavy rain here in North Tipp, started around 6pm, but was spitting drops Since 4pm. Got the lawn cut and it's was only the 2nd cut this year. Some crop of grass. It was left on the long finger as I was trying to get some crops in on the farm before the weather broke. Lovely to have dust rising yesterday evening on tilled ground. And better to see the water now to drive growth

It always amazes me, the rate at which soils can dry out in the spring. A few days of sun and wind works wonders.

@Gonzo on the sticky lawn, we have had a disaster of a winter and spring for rainfall. Water tables have been high, soil moisture deficits in the negative territory, couple this with a heavy clay soil it's just a headwrecker having to wait and let nature take it's course. An option for lawn if you have space for a tractor to work is to look to get some gravel mole drains in. Quick, cheap and very effective

If the next 10-14 days are wet, let's take it, and remember the old saying "A wet and windy May, fills the barns with corn and hay"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It was a lovely dry week in Galway until this evening after a very pleasant long weekend. It is amazing how quickly the grass and ground dries out in May even after a shower. The growth now is exceptional, perfect weather for growth and gardening. The cherry blossoms are falling, I wish they'd last longer. Beautiful trees.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

13.7mm so far in Cork. We're sort of sitting under the static rotation part of the low pressure, so we are under persistant, heavy rain constantly. Can see another 10mm easily, certainly spot flooding in places tomorrow morning.

Quite wet here near Tralee tonight especially the last hour, no let up all evening, looks like we could end up with 25mm +

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

After the rain we had in Cork yesterday great to have a nice dry and partly sunny day today, feeling very nice in any sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

Absolutely gorgeous day in clonsilla D15

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Glorious evening in Galway after a wet start. So much green around again. Heat in that sun too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Absolutely woeful evening in the midlands...rain just coming up through it like a conveyor belt for the evening!

Warm and sunny on the M50 traffic at 330pm.

Beautiful evening in Wicklow. Outdoors. Great evening. Cant guage if escape rain again tomorrow in the garden county for more outdoor gatherings.

Lovely thing about this time of year is even when we get heavy rain, as we did here in Cork on Thursday, such is the warmth of the sun and the drying conditions, that there is no trace of it within hours of it clearing. Was out on the bike yesterday afternoon and the roads were lovely and dry again. The persistent dampness of the winter and early spring months are hard to take sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Absolute horrible morning with 6mm of rain after falling in the space of an hour,water running everywhere and ground very wet again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Whatever about the weather that Ukrainian crisis add that keeps popping up needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A bit of sea fog drifting into Cork Harbour at the moment. Welcome to the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

dirty morning again raining and very damp. Was dry when I got up so took a chance on hanging out some clothes the rain popping off the ground now. It’s mild or what passes for mild anyway at around 14 degrees.

• Advertisement

Fortunately lovely bright sunny morning here in Kerry, convection evident North of me, light breeze 17.2C.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement