Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Niall145

Cooling down next week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭appledrop

Cooling down, jaysus its freezing today how can it get colder!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Carol25

Agreed. Catastrophic weather so far, terrible March, bad April, May abomination so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Grand day in Cork, 15 degrees and sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I best keep quiet on how May is faring so far statistically in terms of temp going by the posts as it's not what some would agree with 😂

But yeah, there's been runs showing some notably "cold" weather occurring next week and it's not just a case of the GFS. Some have maxima of only 5-7C over parts of England & Wales. Ireland not quite that getting into low double digits but still cool and it's not far from here so could easily change to worse.

Awful pattern for May, cool north to northeasterly winds. The only saving grace is that if the high ridges far east enough and gets Ireland into those double digits, it will be relatively dry whilst parts of England could have a washout with mid single figures during the afternoon.

If only that high were to go even further east, we'd find ourselves in a much warmer setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Robwindstorm

This spring is gone beyond a joke at this stage. I have never seen land so wet here in Meath. I don't know is there any posters on here from Cavan as they seem to be pounded by deluges. How anyone is able to farm there at the moment, I don't know. I only have a few cattle and the damage or poaching as it's known, is horrendous. The question is, is it going to be a disastrous summer for most or is a drought around the next corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'll 2nd that!

Rainfall at Dublin Airport disgraceful for March & April and May not looking much better so far.

Today I had to dig out heavier coat again, I'm sick of needing clothes for bad weather in May!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Hang in there folks. Just around 6 weeks until the evenings start getting shorter again for 6 months😛

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭pauldry

Had 10mm of cold rain yesterday n we all got colds now. It was 10c at best most of yesterday. Drier weather in the offing but Met Eireann has max of 15 to 18c tomorrow so I said I'll go to Rosses Pt for a stroll. Looked at Rosses Pt weather and it says 11c is the max tomorrow. So whos fooling who. It'll prob be 13c so both wrong. Why can't Met Eireann write max temps 11c to 18c instead of writing as they do max 15c to 18c cooler on coasts. Are they afraid to write low numbers. The same at night they write 0 to minus 2c but then it's minus 5c in Mt Dillon so why don't they write 0 to minus 5c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Another very wet morning here in Meath and agree with all the above posts that this Spring has been awful, one of the wettest Springs I can remember in my lifetime. This time last year I had many outdoor lunches in March and April and early May. This year I have yet to eat lunch outdoors once as we've had rain almost every day since the end of February or it's been too chilly to eat outside to sit down and enjoy the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,964 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The only hope is that the reservoirs are full and we can look forward to a long hot dry summer without water restrictions.

You had a spark there near you Gonzo. I'm ready to set sail on my ark to Hawaii if this rain doesn't end soon. Some are giving cool next week, others warm. I suppose it depends where this high pressure sets up, or should I say 'IF'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very heavy rain and hail showers in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cool cloudy day so far in Castlebar with showers. Moderate NW'LY wind

• Registered Users Posts: 18,005 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hailstones, thunder and lightning here in D24

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭esposito

Is is the type of shower that just has one big clap of thunder and that’s it or has there been a few rumbles.

What I loved about Monday’s thunderstorm is that it had prolonged thunder not just a flash in the pan type one like we usually get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Wet overnight and this morning. Still overcast but glimmers of sunshine making an appearance every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Hailstones hopping of patio table earlier.

Desperate week. Humid and warm rain.

Two day reprise tomorrow and Saturday? may just take it.

12⁰ Meath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,005 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Not as prolonged as Monday but lasted probably half an hour.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭highdef

Was just a few flashes and rumbles, typical thundery shower, rather than a proper thunderstorm with dozens of flashes and bangs with no more than a few dozen seconds between rumbles/crashes/bangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭adocholiday

This is the first year I can remember still being permanently in long sleeves by this time of year. I haven't taken the summer clothes or the garden furniture out of storage yet, I know it's still Spring but most years I'm in short sleeves from April onwards. The only positive thing in my garden at least is the growth is good. My new lawn is flying along and the beds are all blooming nicely. A few weeks of sunshine and warmth would be welcome now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

ha, a couple of weeks of no rain and it'll be hose bans and fodder crises to beat the band. our water infra is awful, needs massive investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Dark grey pish as usual Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

I've looked through the weather threads and really don't know where to post this. I think dying in Ireland on 10th September due to sunstroke in Laois would be unusual?! Now maybe the person took ill in late August etc. Just one for posters interested in archival charts and weather conditions. I've removed the person's name. Very young too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Sunstroke in September, checked a few charts and there was high pressure to the west of Ireland giving a quite cool NE breeze I think. They hardly were in the canaries on holiday either. Anyway my ark won't be going to Hawaii, the little one was looking at geography book that says it's very wet and rains every day in places.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lovely clear evening now in Greystones. Can see cleary anvils to my east and north over Wales and SE Scotland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭BagofWeed

Vile wind again today in Cork. I jogged through the winter's wind and rain with the expectation of a better spring/summer but after the last few days I don't know if I should bother anymore, the wind is just too much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement