Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of baled silage.

Options
  • 01-03-2023 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭13Ballymore

What is the price of baled silage making at the moment, if they transport it themselves. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

It really depends on the demand in your area. Maybe if you can say what part of the country you are in, somebody from that area might be able to give you a ballpark figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭13Ballymore

I'm in Westmeath

Gave 35 per fusion bale last week. Good quality silage, well well packed. Kilbeggan area. Collected myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

€35-€40 around Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

That's only the cost of making it on owned land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yea..we have a fair excess from last season 2022. Have 40 or 50 bales Haylage at 30 euro. Demand has been very poor. East westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

A couple of weeks of weather like this will shove the price up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Neighbour bought bales for €45 a few weeks ago outside Tullamore, and had to draw them the 25 mile home himself on top of that.

€35 sounds reasonable then if yer selling OP and don't have to deliver them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I am hearing of any amount of bales around North Meath here at €30 -€35 / bale and draw yourself. Can't understand lads selling them at that money as it wouldn't cover the cost of production last year if there was fertilizer on the land.

One lad who rented land for 2 cuts of silage last year (he slurred and fertilized it) but didn't get the €1,000 forage premium (owner got that) got 13 bales to the acre from both cuts, second cut was cut early August and was very poor, told me the bales stacked in his yard cost him €37 / bale, contractor would have done all mowing, baling & haulage.

Post edited by Anto_Meath on

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Paying 40 delivered here but would buy some off this fella every year so I prob got a few euro off because of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I find it will keep ok until the second winter so just feed it first if you can next back end, if its good stuff it will actually ferment better over the year.

A friend of mine has an add on Done Deal @ €35 / bale this two weeks (he would take less) and all he had was one call from a lad over the road who wouldn't have the best reputation for paying and he was saying he is buy in bulk for less then €30 / bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RockOrBog

I've baled silage here cost me €29 a bale to make including fertiliser. I Can't understand lads selling silage for 30 or 35, I'd rather keep it for next year, plenty wraps on them

If you pest proof the bales with say nets for birds and bait points for rats then silage will hold a long time in bales.

Advertisement