Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigaset DEC phone battery problem/fault

Options
  • 01-03-2023 2:33pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a Gigaset DECT phone (AS 405) that I have had for quite some time.

The original batteries were getting weak, so I replaced them with new ones. After a while, the phones would just die on a call with no warning. So I replaced them with a different brand, and they also started doing the same thing. Charging the batteries externally fixed the problem for a while, but then the same failure.

Checking the voltage of the newly charged batteries with the failed ones showed only a small difference.

Apart from this odd behaviour, the phone work well.

Any idea what is going on? Is it that new batteries are a different chemistry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Same problem happened to my Gigaset a few years back. At the time there used to be a huge thread on the Gigaset Community forum with people complaining about the same thing but it has now disappeared. I believe the solution was that you had to use batteries approved by Gigaset - see here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Did getting approved batteries solve the problem?

Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Did you try it with non-rechargeable batteries? obviously do not try to charge those

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The problem is with rechargeable batteries - they work for a few weeks, and the phone just dies without any warning - usually a few seconds into a call.

The whole point is to have rechargeables.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

I had the same problem - with the original AAA cells that came with the Gigasets. I assume they are overheating from charging 24/7? I had some old mechanical 24 hour timers that I wasnt using - I stuck one on each Gigaset cradle, an programmed them to charge for the minimum time possible - 15 mins/day. This keeps them topped up without overheating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Battery longevity defined not by volt . Capacity(mAh) what defines how long it can run supplying required amperage. There are other properties involved, quality of "chemistry" as well , but see for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kCfs4y--Kc

Hard to vouch, but i'd say photographers shops would sell better quality than pound shop. But it seam ikea beat them all :D

The Ikea ones fail just like the others.

I thought it might be a contact issue, but no - it still happens after contacts are cleaned.

I might try that. It would be a possible explaination.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭muffinhead

I ended up replacing the phone altogether. But from the responses on the community forum it was a mixed bag, from what I recall some people started experiencing the same problem again a year or so later.

Advertisement