Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pollution mask for commuting

Options
  • 01-03-2023 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Does anyone here use a pollution mask?

I find the traffic fumes are bad once I'm in the city centre and I'm wondering if it's worth getting a mask.

On the other hand, I don't want to look like McBain. And I'm not sure how effective most of the cheaper ones are.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Do you find them bad when walking around? If not it's probably a waste of time.

You're at greater risk sitting in a car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I have to admit in all the years cycling to work the other day I was thinking of getting one, some amount of really dirty cars of late.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

getting a mask can't do any harm - i used to wear one many years ago, which took carbon filters. one issue i found was that on cold mornings, they'd clog up with condensation after maybe half or three quarters of an hour (it was a 22km commute)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As already stated there's a greater risk if you are sitting in a car and don't have recycled air on especially in bumper to bumper traffic, as a cyclist your biggest issue is likely from buses/trucks as you pass. Otherwise you likely have less exposure then a pedestrian since you are passing through an area faster.

In saying that, wearing one of course won't do you any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Used to use a respro one when I commuted in England. Still have it. It was useful back in the day of leaded petrol. Sorted out my streaming nose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I still use mine in the shed for woodworking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Pick a less busy route even if its slightly longer. That's what I did.

Advertisement