Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning..

Options
124»

Comments

I have to agree. If my land was burned I would be fairly keen to find out who was responsible. A campaign of arson should surely be a high priority for gardai and representative bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Packrat

This is exactly what happens. It happened us and 10 more in our area in 2018 when two young f**kers started a fire and burnt 900 acres.

I burn - (properly) in order to heft yearlings. (Google it if you're ignorant)

I burned about 2 acres last week and didn't cause a massive hill fire because I know what I'm doing.

At least 5 of my neighbours did similar here in Beara.

Problem these days is most of the mountains are undergrazed and its nearly impossible to burn the patch you want to without it getting out of control.

Add into that part time farmers lighting stuff after work and no training from youth on how to do it properly and this is what we're left with.

I expect all burning to be banned in the next couple of years, and then what we'll have is truly massive events every 5 to 10 years and people losing their livelihoods if not homes and lives over it.

Blaming all hill farmers for stupidity of a few is reprehensible though and shouldn't be allowed.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

There's no secret campaign. There's just **** clowns that would light a fire for the craic. Previous post has an article about a bloody fireman starting one to get paid for putting it out! My previous example would be the common man and woman starting them (most likely their kids) while climbing the hill for the yearly tradition. It's not secrecy - it's stupidity! Of course there are farmers starting fires too and I'd wager the majority have permission, and monitor it and do their best to control it. How many fires are lit that don't go out of control? IFA page - https://www.ifa.ie/forest-risks/. Though it would be good if the IFA, or the Kerry branch came out and commented on this. They were on Radio Kerry alright for comment - https://www.radiokerry.ie/news/kerry-fire-service-had-33-call-outs-for-gorse-fires-this-weekend-319528?fbclid=IwAR0mc8QCZX--vYCJ71seMwr7QwjL_Md7LC01uKc5y791VmO40Wph01oZFNM

Most people would. Who does that if it's state owned?

Post edited by roosterman71 on

My commonage has been burnt previously, more than once. Over ten years since it's happened now. Last time a woman home from England saw two young lads starting a fire and thought nothing of it. Burnt hundreds of acres. I happened upon a neighbour trying to put it out and joined him. Nearly had it until it hit a bank of withered molinia then whoosh. Shareholders all have entitlements, burnt land is ineligible for payment so none of us burn it.

My question to the "Durr farmers dunnit coz money" brigade, how do you prove who did it, and how do you prove who didn't do it. These are remote lonely places.

If you traveled my area maybe 5 years ago, 99% of attempted fires you'd have seen were directly adjacent to the public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I've not seen one post blaming all hill farmers. In fact I've said the opposite more than once.

I'm glad to see at least one farmer puttinvg it at the door of part of the farming community. Everyone else denies its anything to do with farmers, part time or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Packrat

Away with that shyte...

Almost every second post (including several of yours) has blamed hill farmers.

At least be truthful and own what you said.

Most of the w**kers commenting here don't own a single acre of land nor have they ever planted a tree in their tiny miserable lives.

Sad small people creaming their pants at the thought of denigrating those they are jealous of over what they have.

Enough.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod: I think all views have been aired. I don't see much discussion, just a re-statement of positions. This thread is closed.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement