Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest parkrun in Dublin? (South, preferably)

Options
  • 01-03-2023 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I’ve seen the thread for north Dublin, but wondered about south.

so far, I’ve done:

shanganagh

poolbeg

marlay

Cabinteely.

long time since I did Marlay, but with the turns, I am putting Shanganagh as easier /faster.

anywhere else I should try? I’ve run sub 20 a few times (woman) so that’s the aim :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Being a speedy female if you pick the right course then you get the benefit of people to chase. Straight lines, limited laps and if laps not too many pinch points when lapping people will be useful, but you can probably gain a bigger benefit from an event which attracts a good crowd of speedy blokes to chase even if it's not the absolute fastest course in other aspects

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

I've literally done all the southside parkruns, you'll struggle to beat shanganagh for pace. Pancake flat, quite sheltered, smooth surface and wide enough paths that lapping people isn't gonna slow you down.

Tymon is OK, but a bit of a hill and can be slightly quiet in the sub 20 timezone. I like it cos it's very buggy friendly.

Marlay is one of the slower ones if you ask me, a fair drag in the 1st and 4th km that drains the legs. Upside would be going toward front there'd be lots of people to hang on to.

Bushy Park is nice I think, first km is a narrow but once crowd thins out its a nice course.

I enjoy waterstown too, not really a PB course because of the last 250m but lovely parkrun along the liffey in the shadow of the Westlink

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Just wondering how Dodder Valley compares?

They've changed the course a few times but it's fine, a few little ups over sections. And a tad exposed at points. Thin enough field generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chrismean

So helpful, Crisco! The only thing negative at shanganagh is being a bit on my own, if there’s a smaller crowd.

but good to know it’s still my best bet! I just wanted to get my name on more sub 20 lists haha for ego sake

• Advertisement

No problem, wouldn't worry about being on your own at Shangangh; there's usually a cohort around 20min (have a look at past results and you'll see). They also usually do pacers on the 1st run of the month, and there is usually a sub-20 pacer if that's really your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Griffeen Park in Lucan would be pretty flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Brickfields is pretty flat, its 4 loops so you will end up lapping people

Thanks so much, Nutzz!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Slightly out of Dublin but it is south, Naas. Very quick course, 2 and a bit laps around at the racecourse. No real turns either, just a very gradual circle around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

If you want a fast course I wouldn’t limit myself to South Dublin. Poppintree in Ballymun is very flat, although a bit exposed if it’s windy. St Annes - flattish with a hill you have to weather on both laps, and always a few sub-20 people to keep you in the game, especially on pacer day (last Saturday every month).

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

No, some of them are only 4.5 km, every 20 parkruns you get the name of one, big secret. These are ones that ITK runners go to for sub 20 minute times

*may not be true, as far as I know yes

Tried st. Anne’s this weekend - I’m sadly not living in Ireland. Weather not the best for it (wind and cold are not my fav!). Trying to convince myself I’m in ok shape given the conditions with just under 20.30.

also, i felt that Hill hah :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Father Collins would be one to consider if you want to venture to the Northside. 2 laps and very flat. It's similar to Poppintree but flatter.

Malahide is a very good one, based in a lovely park. Gets good numbers and there's Avoca onsite for coffee and treats afterwards (10% off when you show your parkrun barcode). Lots of speedy people there including the likes of Annette Kealy). It and Marlay are my favourites in Dublin.

Thanks Ballyk. I know I’ll be visiting in June, so maybe Father Collins is the one for me to have a go at then :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Shanganagh Parkrun have the Bray Runners pacing team in operation next Saturday, 20 to 30 mins with 2 minute spacing. Usually a good few in the 17 to 19 min times if you fancied a bit of a quicker challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I've done all the Dublin parkruns and I'd say on the south side the two fastest are Shanganagh and Corkagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

!5 mins down the road is the Naas Parkrun, looped course around Naas racecourse, exposed so a windy day may slow you down and then speed you up 😁, but I found it a nice quick course, all ran on man made surface road surface. Check their facebook page as it doesn't run on horse race days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I started to create an overview of Dublin-ish parkruns in a Google Sheet.

Be great if anyone wanted to add comments/corrections etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭EnPassant

Just Donabate missing from the Dublin list, I think. I have only done it once but it is a fairly fast course. Not sure of the details so I won't try to edit the spreadsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

St Annes is not a PB course IMO, not since they changed course. The hills are not minor!

If I were looking for a time these days, I would go to Donabate or Poppintree. Fr Collins is very flat but a couple of sharp bends alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Poppintree is definitely quick but not a lot of speedys at the front to work off. Also you run into the back of runners towards the latter stages.

Dodder Valley has great potential but only on non windy days or if the wind blows from the north. Bit quiet at the speedy end too.

Marlay is a good course if you get your fractions right, don't go too hard on the first hilly kilometer. Final km is electric fast. Lots of speedy runners to pull you along.

Shanganagh probably has the best mix, they might not have the depth of Marlay but they do have enough, lovely tarmac and mostly flat. Only negative is coming around the finish area at 3k, messes with my head

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Donabate was changed about a year ago to make it even faster. Great course, parking, coffee and a really good range of runners.

It used to start on the grass, now it starts outside the castle and stays on the path for the entire 5k. The trees do a number on the GPS but its great for PBs.

Excellent - thanks for all of the inputs. Shanganagh seems to me like the clear winner here.

someone added runs for Cork too.

Advertisement