Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 3x03- 'Seventeen Seconds' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eadrom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm guessing the fact they mentioned the bio part of the nebula repeatedly means it'll come into play.

If they want Jack, are they going to rescue him from the gravity well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Bugger, I was only thinking today that Shaw is growing with me, and if they were going for a spin off, and the character goes well, that would be a great way to move Trek forward with a pass off from the TNG crew to Shaw and Seven on their own exploration mission in the 25th century. But I also thought Rios was a new character that had potential, so there we go...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Absolutely. My point being they could have expositioned it a lot better. Poor old raffi isn't well liked and the writing for her hasn't helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭pah

I don't agree, Crusher said she could figure out how to protect her son from danger just not how to protect his son. It seems that he went to school long enough in London and when he was old enough she told him about Picard. There is no suggestion she was flying him around the galaxy in any danger as a kid. As a grown man he then made his own choices about what kind of danger to get into and not to seek out Picard for whaterver reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I'm actually enjoying this more than season 2 so far. Albeit they're leaning a bit heavy on the gang getting back together vibe. Also, I must admit I used to have a proper teenage crush on Beverly, and she still looks good for her age I reckon. Patrick Stewart is just too old for his role now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

Yeah there's not timeline for how long he's been in danger, is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,930 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's still a nonsense reason though. She could - and given their long history, friendship and respect, definitely should - have still told Picard, and explained the situation and her wishes if she wanted it kept just between them etc. She's come out of it looking really poor - and worse, I actually just don't buy that it's a decision Beverly Crusher would have made.

(I also just totally didn't buy her run through of all Picard's dangers - this supposed sequence of separate attempts on his life every few days just felt so contrived, it's another weird attempt to reframe the TNG era as this all guns blazing dangerfest, rather than the predominantly exploratory thing it was).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭McFly85

Better than last week, but still, not great.

Jack being Picards son just doesn’t feel natural and they’ve had to turn Beverly into a horrible person to get it to fit with continuity. Her reasons for never mentioning him to Picard are incredibly weak. It even bothered me that they felt they had to explain the accent.

The show still really lays it on thick the the legendary status of the enterprise-D crew too(Geordis daughter popping into seven to mention that her Dad was one of the greatest engineers ever and Raffi immediately calling Worf a legend). I get it, they were brilliant, but I always assumed there were a lot of brilliant crews across Starfleet, but these people are held on such a pedestal that everyone else was probably unremarkable.

Still, a better episode. Picard is a dreadful first officer! Bit weird of Riker to take offence and throw him off the bridge just because he followed Picards advice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

She looks great but you can see the age in her hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,930 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They've an awful habit of reducing the whole universe down to around 10 relevant people. From everyone having the Ent-D crew up on this pedestal, to connecting Worf, to Rafi, to the Portal weapon, to Picard's conflict half a quadrant away - it's all just so much coincidence. It's the Picard gang's universe, the trillions of other inhabitants seemingly just live in it. (just wait for the loop to close itself, as we learn Picard and Michael Burnham are somehow related!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,920 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He is only in his 20s and has a bunch of aliases and he is a seasoned smuggler as is she.

It seems quite clear they have both been acting as devil may care rebels for most of his adult life.

She has certainly lived the life that she thinks makes Picard not parent material.

Picard and Burnham's father were good friends and he melded with her brother.

Not a joke that actually happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭corkie

Picard and Burnham's father were good friends and he melded with her brother.

Not a joke that actually happened.

Picard may not have been present during the events of Star Trek: Discovery's second season, but he did once cross paths with Spock. In the Star Trek: The Next Generation two-part Season 5 episode "Unification," Spock, now a Starfleet Ambassador, attempted to reunify the Vulcans and the Romulans, and he got a helping hand from Captain Picard and his crew. Picard and Spock worked together to help the Ambassador achieve his goal, and the two then got to talk about Spock's father, Sarek. Picard had previously met Sarek, in the appropriately titled Season 3 episode, "Sarek," where Spock's ailing father performed a Vulcan mind meld with Picard. At the end of "Unification," Picard offered Spock the chance to mind meld with him, in order to get closer to his now-deceased father.

By doing this, Picard allowed Spock to get to know his father better. But since both Picard and Spock shared the same mind at that time, it's possible that the Captain came to learn about the Ambassador's sister, Burnham. Picard, understanding the severity of the situation thanks to the mind meld, would have also kept the knowledge a secret all this time.

Continuity

• This episode seemingly draws a conclusion to the actions began by Spock in the Star Trek: The Next Generation namesake episodes "Unification I" and "Unification II", which were further explored in "Face Of The Enemy" and Star Trek. Indeed, events of this episode replay Spock's speech about "closed minds [that] have kept these two worlds apart for centuries" from "Unification II" and present them as part of a record from circa stardate 45825.

All trying to make a circle link through of shows, lets not forget the retcon of Gary Seven

Well ya that was part of the friend with her father bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You sir, win the internet today.

Agree wholeheartedly on the comments about Dr. Crusher. Looks like they made her a horrible person totally out of character with the Crusher we knew from TNG just for the sake of some cheap soap opera style drama. Also the kid's ham acting gets a bit much.

Aside from that, it's a massive improvement over season 1 and 2 so far. I like the new more gruesome changeling dissolving effect, flesh and blood oozing along the floor, eww. Wonder if that's what the two officers beamed back from the Enterprise in "the motion picture" came out looking like.

Yeah but that's more than just friendship would be.

Spock was friends with Kirk, can't remember if they ever did

It does seem like the entire galaxy resents Picard for being some sociopath who dragged them into bloodthirsty adventure.

Riker and Crusher were very willing participants in the adventures (which were not actually bloodthirsty in TNG)

• Advertisement

The thing which annoys me is that all the series have had their crews in danger. It's obviously not a rare occurrence so nothin that's happened to Picard is out of the ordinary for a senior Starfleet officer

Yeah it was triggering something that I couldn't say for sure. It's a bigger deal that just being friends though.

Not knocking your point. I feel it hammers it home even more

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭corkie

In Star Trek: The Original Series, we see Spock mind meld with Kirk a total of four times. In a mind meld, thoughts can be shared between two entities.

It wasn't a point. It was more of a joke to be honest.

I thought it was funny in a sad that it's true kinda way.

Fair enough but you're too right though. The Trek universe has always been small but with Burnham it's ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

Sometimes I think of Star Trek a bit like police procedurals. They have to make them have shootouts or interesting cases every week when typical police officers never shoot their gun outside of training and investigate the most mundane cases. It's the same for the main crews in Star Trek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Please stop with the Burnham connections to Picard - my brain can't handle it

Discovery is a ST (barely) show that isn't ST, everything else is ST

Wild meanderings that the two are evenly remotely connected is tantamount to the worst possible torture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

OK. Belay that speculation on my part at the end. I just rewatched it and the divide between Picard and Riker was clearly building from the moment that Shaw transferred command.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Regarding the bar scene with the questionable de aging SFX. It's television, I can go along with it to a point, but there is technology available that would have altered Patrick Stewart's voice enough to make him at least sound something closer to the Picard from Nemesis. He sounds croaky and old now but he didn't back then. Or dub over a decent soundalike if that's cheaper.

Advertisement