Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GOMO €15 plan now includes 5G

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,213 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The website flagged me as Tesco as well (coming from 48) but the port went ahead fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Lostinspace

Hi,

So I've a few questions.

(1) I moved places recently and the new apartment doesn't allow for wired broadband. I am living not far from Baggot St in Dublin and i am thinking of using GoMo 5G for €15 per month. While i work from the office mostly, I'm wondering will that support working from home maybe 1 or 2 days max per week (Teams calls, Zoom calls, etc..) as well as streaming maybe 1 or 2 hours of TV at night and again some sport or whatever at the weekend?

(2) If i reached the 120 GB fair usage threshold in the middle of the month for example, I'm wondering what impact would that have on my work calls, etc..? Does anyone have any experience with that?

(3) I currently don't have a 5G device. Does anyone have any recommendations of a suitable new or 2nd hand 5G device that i can just leave in the apartment with the Go Mo 5G sim card in it? Does it need to be a router or would a phone work fine?

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭shmeee

Easy answer to your question is get a Three SIM and top up by €20 every month PAYG. I used it for well over a year to work from home, 2 users every day (teams calls and remote login) and then all the usual household internet through it, IPTV, Streaming , Sky Boxes etc. Never an issue with usage and it was some months a few TB's. So it is unlimited! 5G and not throttled either. If way of usage and GoMo throttling you, just go with Three.

Also, pop over to the MidBand board here for loads of info linked below:

https://www.boards.ie/categories/midband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Word of warning regarding 5G. In some areas you may find 4G speeds actually outperform 5G speeds. This is regardless of signal strength.

It’s to do with the way Eir have set it up in some areas. Plus the signal is more likely to suffer interference from obstacles and it uses more battery.

5G is not always an upgrade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭billyhead

Did you buy a seperate router for this or use your mobile phone as a hotspot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭opus

I've been using a GoMo SIM for broadband since they appeared, around a year ago I bought a 2nd hard 5G router from CEX & upgraded the SIM to 5G. In Cork city it certainly made a difference, speed went from ~60Mbs to ~300Mbs. So far I've had the odd text warning me I'm approaching the monthly limit but haven't seen anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭billyhead

Bought a 2nd hand three huawei router. Waste of time using your hotspot if using is as your main household internet TBH.

And as said above, 4g is often as fast. 100+Mbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Lostinspace

Thanks, what are you using it for? Do you work from home? Do you know if they throttle it and if so does that have an impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Hmmm - My VirginMedia 4G is getting 128Mbps and my GoMo 5G gets 29Mbps (Cork City)…

• Advertisement

Turn off 5g, and use 4g. I get faster speeds on 4g GoMo than 5g. All depends on location of mast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Yea - Once I verified I could do that, I went ahead and ported my number over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Adding my two cents. €9.99 GoMo subscriber since the beginning. I got two SIMs back then (was it 2019 or 2018!?). One has been in my iPhone since and one in two\three 4G/5G routers that I bought\sold at various stages (I have now settled on a 5G capable Huawei router but am not prepared to pay €14.99 as I am grand and happy with being a €9.99 lifer). I never ever have any issues streaming Netflix or YouTube, able to work from home all during the pandemic and since two days a week with zero issues. I regularly check my bills and the data I have used on the SIM in the router, it is always well above 120GB.

Feel free to PM me if anyone wants to know anything else.

Cheers,

M

Advertisement