Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling to Boston for the Summer - Any Help?

Options
  • 02-03-2023 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone

Planning on travelling to Boston for the summer on a working Visa (Wasn't adventurous enough during University to do a J1😅)! I've nearly got the application form completed but before scheduling a visa interview at the US Embassy wanted to pick a few GAA peoples brains about getting involved in GAA out there!

My main question is about finding employment out there which I know is a prerequisite to obtaining a working visa. How do J1 students manage to get employment & accommodation out there? Is it a matter of dropping some GAA clubs out there a message & seeing if they can help out in some way? I'm only 24 so working on a building site (or any work like that) wouldn't bother me at all as the opportunity to meet new people, do some sightseeing and experience something new would be a fair trade off!

And secondly, any good suggestions on what GAA clubs people found most helpful?

Any help is really appreciated with the above as its a scratch I do want to itch before life gets in the way!

Thanks.😁

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭SweetSand

I feel really bad for breaking your dreams OP, but you are not going to Boston working this summer :( There is no special GAA agreement with US re working visas, if there is - it must be a top secret. You missed your chance with J1 and that’s pretty much the only way to work legally and see US for university age person. You can come and visit on ESTA but any employment you will seek will be unlawful and you deem a chance to be deported and get a life ban to enter US ever again. It was somewhat a norm to come to America in 1980-1990s, work illegally for few years, make enough of money and come back, not anymore. I suggest if you want to explore other countries - look into Europe, so much easier and don’t pick English speaking country, challenge yourself, go to Netherlands or Germany, or Iceland and etc, but do it legally so you won’t regret anything further in your life. Best of luck!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

When did you finish college? If you are within 12 months of graduating you can look into the graduate J1 visa. Your employment is linked to your studies though and it is monitored so you couldn't really be working on building sites or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Caolainor98

Hi graduated in 2021 so too late for the graduate Visa. Tbh think I'll just go on a travelling visa & save from now until June as getting a working Visa is too much hassle & cost for 3 months.

Anyone know how much it would cost to live in Chicago for 3 months or even per month? From previous experience as a j1er as only 24 myself.

Thanks in advance!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Traveling visa? There's no such thing, it's called an ESTA and it's a visa waiver and you cannot work.

Be prepared to be grilled by USBP as it would raise a red flag (travelling for 3 months) and being 24.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I spent the bones of 3 months travelling in the US when I was in my 20s. Well over 10 years ago now. America is a big place and Chicago is a great place to visit but not sure why you'd spend 3 months there if you're travelling. On my trip in my 20s I spent 3 days there. I was there more recently and a hotel for the week was €700 in the off season. Ventra travel card for a week is about $20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭gigantic09

End of rainbow -I went for a few months in the early 00's and avoided that by getting a ticket for a couple weeks and then changing the return date when I got out there,not sure it's still Easy to do this tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭hynesie08

A J1ers experience wouldn't be relative as they'd be working. Even if you worked full time from now till June (that's 11 weeks) it wouldn't cover 12 weeks in Chicago, Nevermind travelling the USA.

Also as mentioned if you rock up to preclearance and claim you're "Just Travelling" with no date of return, You're very likely to be turned away at the Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Caolainor98

Thanks for the replies.

Here's my thinking & situations, I've been granted a 3 month career break from my employer (can provide proof to authorities) & all I essentially want to do for June - August is head out to Chicago (Probably favourite city in the world, been there many times before).

I've only really mentioned getting involved with GAA as a means to meet like minded people & experience something new rather than a typical Irish summer😅

(Also heard they can be helpful in looking for accommodation)

So may only option from researching right now is the ETSA Visa, again I will not be working & will not be taking the risk of being banned from the US, have the funds to keep me going, been slaving away in work since graduating university & would rather spend it on a life experience than giving it all to to a landlord in Dublin😂

- Money circulates anyway that's my motto.

What may be an advantage is I am returning to education to pursue a masters in September (can provide proof of course offer & acceptance) so I'll definently be gone by August.

Would this prove a strong argument? Who knows could end up travelling to other parts of US but Chicago is were I definently want to start my journey.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭89897

Your biggest proof is your return ticket. ESTA is not a visa, its a visa waiver anyone travelling to the states as a tourist needs one. If on this you need to be out of the states within 90 days.

Immigration wont really care about your working or landlord so be prepared to be questioned heavily and have a clear answer ready for them. You're coming as a tourist, will be travelling around but have accommodation sorted at first (you need this for your esta) and have your return ticket. Most of the USA is incredibly expensive right now so you really need to do alot of research into that and have funds to cover yourself. Also get travel insurance that covers the USA

Advertisement