Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram on his own getting aggressive

• 02-03-2023 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

I'm sure its a regular problem with people with small numbers of ewes and only 1 ram needed. Took the ewes away from the ram early december as i did not want to prolonged of a lambing season. Had no other rams or wethers to leave with the ram so left him on his own in a field beside the open shed with cattle in it. As he was on his own was giving him a small shake of meal everyday (now i know maybe a bad idea). Now the cattle are gone from the shed, and i do not know if that has anything to do with it but the ram has gone very cross, if i try to go into the field with meal he will make a run for me, and can give a fair butt with his head, i'm not overly worried although i know he can do damage but am afraid if the kids ever went in behind my back. What are my options, one is stop giving him meal,don't really want to put him with the ewes that are soon lambing, should i buy a few wether lambs to run with him, would the company quieten him again, prior to this he was very quiet and easy manage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Yeah bucket feeding rams is not the best idea, they always seem to get aggresive afterwards. Maybe some friend might help him. We had an old suffolk ram years ago the crosses ram I've ever seen and talk about ignorant all the sheep would leave the field and he would not follow would wait we had to make a halter and literally have to pull him out around the place. Only for he threw great lambs he would have got the chop fairly lively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭148multi

Could you leave two cull ewes with him, he'd be happy looking after his harem

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭k mac

Might do that. Was thinking of selling him but might not be much sale for rams this time of year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

One of mine was a bit of a cnut... gave him a rap of a fence post one day i was in a field fencing and he dropped the head. Hes afraid of me since but i wouldnt trust him either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah, they are "flock" animals and need company.

I had a ram that I put in a small garden beside the old farmhouse.

He became "friends" with the ram that was his reflection in the house window, would stand beside the window half the day.

When it came time to turn him out I literally had to drag him away from the garden into the trailer.

Let him out into the field with the ewes, and instead of going to them he ran off in a big loop, and straight into a 3 foot deep drain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement