Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dedicated Bike Room

Options
  • 02-03-2023 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭

Is anyone lucky enough to have a dedicated bike room/ workshop/ garage in their house? Would love to hear thoughts/ ideas as to design as I'm about to start building a new house soon and have turned one of the rooms over to this purpose. At the minute nothing is planned in terms of furnishings/ fittings so it's a bit of a blank canvas. It'll have its own entrance and will also have access to a wet room type room off it (where we'll have washing machine, sink, shower, toilet and various outdoorsy storage stuff.

I have my own ideas but would be interested to hear what has worked/ hasn't worked for people, and what they'd do if they had the opportunity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

This is my pleasure room.

(I wish!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not dedicated, but we currently have 7 bikes in the garage; five are hanging vertically from front wheel hooks.

i fit them in based on the space available, but ideally should have allowed an extra 15-20cm between them to make life easier. i can measure the current gap between them later, might be useful to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have a double garage (but from the 80s where cars were smaller so you wouldn't fit two cars in it now).

On one side I have a TV with Zwift and a bike permanently on the trainer. Then right behind that I have my e-cargo bike.

On the other side of the room I have a BikeStow bike stand which keeps my three main bikes (winter, summer, gravel) and then the commuter just stands freely.

Two IKEA Kallax units each house a Brompton, and then the back wall has drawers with most of my cycling gear.

Everything bar the bike stand is just old recovered furniture, I might slowly replace with bits that are more suited.

I'd also like a better way of storing tools on the wall, especially to have anything that is used often to hand. At the moment I just have old kitchen units on the wall. I have an air compressor too for tubeless tires.

I'd agree with you on the shower, it is something I miss especially after a winter gravel ride.

I can still just about squeeze in a car although I wouldn't trust anyone else to park in there

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Vertical wall hanging of bikes on hooks is probably the handiest solution; hang the bikes alternately by the front wheel/rear wheel with about 15'' (from memory) between each two bike's wheels.

Screwfix etc do great deals on self-assembly steel shelf units, for storing tools, parts, gear etc.

Woodies do a line of clear plastic lidded boxes, in a variety of sizes, to keep everything tidy and visible.

If you'll have a wet room next door, why not go all-in and fit a double-length shower base with a tap, for washing down your bike after mucky winter spins? Tile behind it with basic square white tiles (and grey grout!). The drain for it can be tied into the wetroom next door and stops you having to bring the bike into the shower...HAHA

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not that i've tried, but i assume lifting a bike off a hook like that would strike me as easier if it's the front wheel on the hook?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I have a steady rack as I wanted to keep summer bike indoors. It’s brilliant. Stashed away in the utility room with all the other bits she doesn’t want visitors to see😂. I do have a dedicated hifi room though so dont always assume it will be just for bikes and stuff. Life can change direction for you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

I rack the bikes in my shed top and tail like 8valve said. It's mildly more cumbersome to take down the bikes hung from the rest wheel, but there not much in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Thanks for the feedback. I do like the idea of a deluxe bike shower... but I'm afraid that if I push the envelope too far I'll be divorced before the build starts!

Any thoughts on maintenance stands? - the permanent fixed-to-the-floor ones look super but would probably be a bit prohibitive in terms of space usage. If I was anyway 'handy' I'd love to try jigging a reverse version - i.e. fixed to the ceiling with a fold-up option.

Also not sure what flooring to go for - toying with just leaving it concrete and having a rug in the couch section...

in terms of space usage for maintenance stands, by far the biggest space usage for the one i have (aldi or lidl one) are the four legs - if you're putting in a permanent one, you might be able to dispense with a lot of that?

I was in a bike shop once and they had a sort of elastic thing hanging from the ceiling that they would just hang the bike on

• Advertisement

for storage, or when working on them?

For working on them - think it was hung by the saddle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I am planning a tidy up of the garage soon and while it won't be bike dedicated I have to sort storage for kids bikes and my own. I was thinking pedal hangers for storage for the kids bikes so that they could lift them down but also I think the bikes look good on the wall and its quite space efficient, albeit at the cost of wall space. I am also considering a wall mounted repair stand to replace the Aldi one I have. On flooring, if you leave it concrete you'll always have dust issues. Has anyone thought about interlocking PU panels. You can get them from Screwfix for example.

On tool storage I am a fan of peg boards and tooling being on display because as soon as it get put away in a drawer or toolbox its difficult to find and then clean away. I bought one of these for an area in work and I am considering buying same for home - I will update when it arrives in work if people are interested.

139830 | Raaco Workshop Storage System | RS (rs-online.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't leave the bikes out there, but in my shed I used OSB to build benches. I have the walls lined with pegboard from Woodworkers in Terenure, along with our old kitchen presses. I brought the hooks on ali-express. Having said that, I also have a lot of time for the convenience of magnetic bars too. And have recently got more (Lidl iirc).

I have a bench mounted stand - I can swing it inwards so doesn't overhang, and obviously takes no floor space.

In the separate side, I have my mancave, which includes my "permanent"* turbo set up. 3 airmovers, large TV, own Router. It's floored with mats like above, although I got them on sale in Halfords.

*unless the mancave is being used to capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have those interlocking tiles on one half of the garage which is setup as a gym. I wouldn't bother with them for a bicycle only room. Concrete floor is the job, you can seal it and paint it and there is no issue with dust. Those tiles are hard to clean as the dirt gets trapped in the joints.

We dont have a dedicated room (and it's not needed). Four bikes mounted vertically to the wall, all from front wheel (mtb would be very tricky to hang from rear) and two freestanding which are used daily. Storage for bike tools, clothing etc and bike stand folded out for when needed. Garage is big enough to also store garden tools, camping stuff etc and half of it setup as gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

I have a log cabin in the garden that's set up just for my bikes. half is given to 2 bikes permanently on turbos with flat screen tv's infront of them. Other side is given to storing bikes and a work bench. I've used 2 high strength wires running from one side of the cabin to the other about 40 cm from the roof, have a frame, handlebrs and wheels stored on these, keeps them out of eye line and good use of space. Put lino down for the whole cabin and then half has artificial grass that I got off a neighbour who was dumping it. Looks cool but not sure how practical when you drop a tiny screw onto it!

have a mechanic's tray handy! they occasionally appear in lidl or aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭munsterfan2

Similar to above, half of the garage is gym with floor mat ( https://nrrubberproducts.com/ ) which has rowing machine, turbo trainer, and weights. Garage is 25sq.m., wish it was bigger as it fairly stuffed. For the turbo, using RGT (or zwift etc) you want decent broadband so run a couple of CAT 5e /6 cables from the house to the garage and put a wifi hotspot in there. If you end up with solar panels on garage roof / inverter in garage you will need some for CT clamps. SteadyRack x 3 on the walls, great job

Yes, it's easier with front wheel on the hook. I hang 5 that way. I also prefer using the front wheel as the drain holes on my bikes are at the rear so they wouldn't work if the bike was upside down.

I find 50cms between the hooks is about as tight as you can go for road bikes hung on the front wheel. (I presume hybrids/MTB's would require more).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

When our first born arrived a couple of months ago, the bike room then became his bedroom.

So our downstairs bathroom became the new bike room... Sure what more could you want! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

This is a 20'x10' shed that I bought last year; shelving is mostly screwfix units, that can be split to provide underbench support/storage or tall shelving units, flooring is rubber mat packs from screwfix/halfords, bench is surplus worktop and some heavy ply, workstand is a Park tool item, wall tool racks are aldi/lidl specials and spare bits of ply.

Be warned; the more storage space you have, the more 5hite you'll fill it with!

if you're fitting a bench, install plenty sockets along its length.

Jesus, you must have a very understanding partner. I wandered into the house with a mini pump a few years ago and I'm still hearing about it.

Bikes racked top and tail, shed is 20'x12'

It's not a completely dedicated bike shed, and like 8valve said, it gathers all sortsof random stuff. It's in a constant state of flux

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I have a 1 bed flat and 8 bikes. I should not have clicked into this thread. *cries in separate bike storage

Things could be worse eeeee, you might have 8 bedrooms and only one bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I left a trail of destruction in my kitchen last week. The wet and mucky overshoes were left outside the back door. Wet sock and cap were left on the table. Jersey and shoes on the floor. Undergarment just made it into the wash room. Just. Wifey stepped over the whole mess while I thawed out in the shower. I cleaned up my own mess but she is a saint when it comes to my cycling life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Clear boxes are handy for storing stuff long term so you don't have to remember where the tiling tools are etc.

Find a kitchen out fitters for old worktops & cupboards.

Halfords semi regularly sell their good tool chests really cheap.

Don't let the missus store her camogie stuff in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Schrader or Presta? She may have been confused about what you were carrying.

• Advertisement

Some great ideas there... and class set-ups! I don't see any beer fridges/ Gaggias though 😁

Advertisement