Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suitable EV for company rep

• 02-03-2023 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, my work is going to full electric cars. I’m due a change. I do over 50,000km/year. I would like a fairly substantial comfortable car with a good range, budget €60000 approx. What models would you suggest I should look at?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is the VW iD5 in the budget?

Not relevant to your discussion, but would you charge it at home? Who'd pay for the electricity in this scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Bovakinn

For that sort of money, I'd consider the Long Range Tesla Model 3 or Y depending on your needs/preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭e.r

You ca get an app on your phone that tracks your domestic usage and then you put it in with your expenses.

was thinking the same myself & a rep that comes into us showed us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭silver_sky

You don't mention any specific requirements on size, body style etc. Check out https://ev-database.org/ You can filter here based on availability, body style, range (real world!) etc.

If you would normally go for a saloon then Tesla Model 3 Long Range would be my pick. Standard wheels and any colour except red would be under 55K. All-wheel drive and just under 500hp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Buy your own if you can and claim back the miles. New BIK rules don’t suit vehicles with high OMV which most EV’s are. If you have to choose a €60K company EV, a long range Tesla is probably the best best but try one first as they’re an acquired taste depending on what you’re used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Model3 long range, VW ID.3 Tour, ID.5, Kia EV6.

a lot of the rest are suvs or crossovers or don’t have great range. The premium brand cars would be above 60 k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

The wife got an Ev6 yesterday..im not a fan of the seats so far.. so I would drive a good distance in one first before choosing one. That said I'm driving volvo who seats are always fantastic so I don't know if its a fair comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In fairness, nothing worse than a crap seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Model 3 long range./thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭innrain

Our company went for MY RWD . OMSP of 52k Effective BIK 7.36%, this year 13.85% next year and 18.17% in 2025. Average 13.125% per year or 6825 notional pay. Looking at the next bracket of less polluting ICE cars (More than 59g/km up to and including 99g/km) BIK 26.25%, to achieve the same notional pay the OMSP of the car should be not more that 26k which puts you in a ? Hard to find a 26k car and <= 99 g/km CO2. Going to next bracket <=139g/km CO2 the equivalent OMSP drops even more (22.75K). the cheapest bare Fiesta/Bayon/C3 just about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd look to your typical routes and see are they serviced by Tesla Superchargers, that would bring a Model Y RWD into play which has better egress versus the Model 3 and more room should you have company stock etc in the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@Cobalt00 - try and get an EV that doesn't use cobalt in its battery

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

All the suggestions are good, but with your high mileage the Tesla Supercharging would more than likely make life a lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I don't think any car manufacturer can beat Volvo's seat comfort.

That saying, OP would you consider Polestar by Volvo?

I concur. By far the best seats for a high mileage driver.

Polestar could be a good shout depending on waiting lists!

Volvo C40? Looks to be above the 60k though. https://www.volvocars.com/ie/cars/c40-electric/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cobalt00

Thanks for all your opinions and suggestions. I’m not too keen on supporting Tesla, and by extension Musks view of world affairs. Polestar looks interesting. The VW id5 looks great. Not too concerned about bik as electrics are significantly discounted for bik so the loading is minimal compared to ice. Seats are most important factor, and poor support or sitting on the floor would be a deal breaker for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Polestar have a space (showroom) in Sandyford. Worth going there and having a look. Volvo C40 (and XC40 electric) have the same underpinnings as the Polestar (or other way round) so also worth considering.

Software-wise they'd be better than VW. They have Android Automotive so have google maps etc built in rather than running off your phone. Navigation with battery percentage on arrival is nice (similar to Tesla).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Redfox25

While you might feel that way about Musk, just bear in mind he doesnt build the cars nor does he care if you buy it or not. Perhaps, take it and all the others for a test drive and make an informed view based on the cars rather than on politics. Adittionally, if you are driving near to superchargers, you might be glad you went Tesla. Or not.

• Advertisement

Maybe check the latest BIK rules, I’m pretty sure 2023 is the last year that EV’s have the BIK discount.

BIK zero is gone yes but the discount is there till 2026 albeit tapered each year.

It’s a perfectly valid view not to want to line his pockets further.

I test drove the Volvo C40. While quick I found it small and cramped inside. Now I'm a big lad so it could have just not fitted me! Haha

I don’t know if the ID.3 size appeals but it has a very spacious cabin. The Cupra Born is the same. You’d want the big battery versions.

The Tour has massage seats and I find it good for the back which was previously suffering in a c class Mercedes.

Thanks I think I’d better check the figures before making a move!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Of course it is. Nobody said otherwise.

VW cheats are not where I want my money to go, emission scandals and connections to Hitler doesn’t sit too well for me personally.

Nissan CEO was charged with fraud. Mercedes is stuck in class law suits for service scandals.

Who do we give our money to?

Best advice is to drive them all and see which one you like best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Absolutely - anything else is just posturing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

Or just maybe respect OPs wishes. He does him. You do you

He says he doesn’t like Musk and doesn’t want to line his pockets why then suggest he should try test driving his cars

smh

• Advertisement

A couple of reasons are that if you want to use the car in Ireland the Supercharger network is the only one that somewhat works. The current models from Tesla are also reliable cars with top notch efficiency, software and updates. With LR models you also get over 400 horses instead of half of that from the competition, in case you like nippy cars.

Hope all this combined with the past sins of the competition answers why informed people would recommend a testdrive of a Tesla whether you like their CEO or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

With your mileage you need access to the Tesla network, I know as I also travel in my job. I had a Tesla, changed to etron and now back to Tesla for this reason.

Tesla cutting prices again on unsold inventory cars across Europe. If this extends to Ireland they could be more attractive as company cars. Company cars are usually leased and leasing companies need to buy cars when their customers need them. It doesn’t work for them to wait months for a boatload of mystery Tesla stock to arrive to fulfil orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Isn't the Tesla network in Ireland shite though... its sparce. This isn't the US. There seems to be alot made of the network but it comes from perception or people reading US reviews...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

@sh81722 If you goto a restaurant and get offered beef but say you dont want it would you feel good if the waiter kept pushing beef?

Exactly. Show a little respect for his opinion. You do you. Let him do him. His money, not yours

Tesla ppl just cant understand there exists a sizeable amount of people who dont like Tesla or Elon (even worse than VW affair with faking emissions) and just flat out dont want to own one

The Tesla thread is there. If someone says they are not interested because of a personal opinion can person please be treated with respect

The Tesla network suits me very well as I travel to Limerick, Kerry, Cork, Galway, Belfast. Blackspot is the northwest. It’s also 30% cheaper than Ionity. As I stop at the Tesla superchargers I see three or four waiting for the two ESB chargers while I can charge straight away.

I understand Musk is now opening the network up to other brands.

So to answer your delicately put question, the Tesla Network is not “Shite”. It’s quite the opposite, it’s excellent. BTW Tesla chargers are rarely out of service or broken, more than I can say for the ESB service.

Before the critics weigh in I’m not a Tesla Fanboy, my move to Audi was because I was fed up with the squeaks and rattles of the Model S I had. The made in China Model 3 is a lot better but still not on a par with BMW or Audi.

edit. I had a read over all the responses, I see you don’t like Musk, neither do I but I need a car that gets me from A to B with the least amount of hassle. I don’t want to be stuck in Fermoy on a Slow Charger for 2 hrs at 6.30pm on a Friday on a trip to back Dublin or driving around Belfast looking for a fast charge that works because I’ve 15km of range. Yes I’ve been there.

I also don’t like Gates or Murdoch but use their companies products daily.

Post edited by AmberGold on

• Advertisement

You made a very reasonable case with good points and I applaud that. From a position of ignorance, I suppose Tesla may use all chargers but only Tesla can use their own? Are Tesla chargers found only on motorway stations or are they more widespread than that?

Yes you can use all chargers when driving a Tesla. Their chargers are located at a mix of Tesla dealerships, garages and other sites like hotels. Check out their charge map.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

I thought the same until I bought one,😉.

But on regular (For me) trips to west cork or Belfast, London etc there is no planning whatsoever needed. The car will tell you where to stop and often in the UK I have used Gridserve ( If not busy) rather than SuC due to being cheaper and needing a bit more time to eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My dislike for musk has nothing to do with the fact the Tesla network in Ireland is limited. Buying an Irish car because of the network here is not really accurate.

More accurate would be their range is pretty solid.

That was my point.

I've no idea why you went off on a tangent about mush, gates or whomever.... bizarre.

I'll think there is something wrong with the chicken, as I assume he is not paid more to sell beef. The same here there are no personal gains and people speak from experience. Some here own or did own multiple brands and have comparison terms. From selfish reasons I'd like less people to buy Teslas as they became ubiquitous around where I live. I drove to Dundrum earlier and I counted 5 blue ones in less than 3 miles and it is not the most popular color. I understand perfectly some not only dislike Teslas some they really hate them. Yesterday someone drew a Russian Z on my dirty car, so I'd like to thank them for pushing me to wash it.

• Advertisement

If a driver that has no previous experience in driving an EV in Ireland I think it's potentially beneficial to point out that there are other aspects on driving electric than just the company CEO. And that Tesla does have many specific strengths compared to other makes.

Fine if you don't like the company but at least make the purchase decision with wide open eyes and not just because you don't like the company CEO.

The OP said he didn’t like Musk. Apologies crossed wires.

Pleased to see you’ve climbed down and now consider the Tesla Charging network “Limited” and not Shite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭zg3409

In terms of cars my big worry would be if going more than 300/400km in a day then you need to public charge before you get back home. Public chargers are often busy, blocked or broken with 1+ hours queues somewhat common. If you know little about EVs and are going EV for bik reasons I suggest you investigate your round trips in km per day. The range advertised of EVs is not accurate for 120km/h in winter. 300km is safe winter range, as in 150km from home is going home each night. Access to Tesla superchargers may reduce risk/time on some main roads, but non Tesla infrastructure is struggling at peak times with queues.

Most non teslas are not as good in terms of range, public charging speeds and overall experience. Think carefully, and delivery times for done new cars can be 12 months+

Advertisement