Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever happened to the Obesity frenzy ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Probably because it's the new normal and most people are fat or obese these days. I'm in ridiculously good shape at 42 but it takes discipline and hard work to look this good.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Has no one been keeping up with the latest woke?

Fat acceptance is currently in, and "body shaming" is out.

I haven't noticed any difference.

I mean, there was no frenzy - just recognition of the facts: it leads to type 2 diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, sleep apnoea and is a cancer risk factor.

In pop culture there is bullsh1t "body positivity at any size" toxicity, but the public health message has always been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭KilOit

They're just classed as enormous now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

IDK what you mean, Brendan Fraser just did that whole movie about the things. And the entire COVID pandemic put the spotlight on all forms of comorbidity - especially treatable/preventable comorbidities, like obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think the authorities may as well throw in the towel. Too many folk just like eating junk these days.

There was a good discussion on the radio a few days ago, with Professor Donal O'Shea. It was about ultra processed food and the obesity epidemic. But I think he is fighting a losing battle.

Half the world is going to be obses, and the other half go hungry. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Everyone is just fat now so no point talking about how people are going to get fat

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Bad timing OP, the report I linked to earlier is being discussed in the British media today.

Listened to a convo with the head of some obesity ngo who is a former nurse and she said 40 years ago the only people who had type 2 diabetes were old people which was know back then as elderly onset diabetes, but today you have cases as young as 12 years old. She also said only 1 in 3 people in the UK are of a healthy weight. So this is a very serious issue that is going to have to be addressed eventually imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭babyducklings1

Haven’t read the article you linked to but say it’s very similar to the one I’m linking to. 88% is a really high number maybe the only comforts are is that there is a difference between being over weight and obese but none are great. Not sure of the BMI but yes people growing bigger. It will be a huge ( pardon the pun) health epidemic if it comes to pass.

In a country with an abundance of good fresh food it’s a shame. But nobody seems to be able to solve it, too much convenience stuff available maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I think that many globalized food conglomerates recognised the negative impact that Fat Bastard shaming was having on their business.... and thus formulated online trend agendas, to influence and manipulate more gullible generations, who are consumed by such media, that it was not a nice idea or a popular model of existence to marginalise lazy fat chunts?

This accidentally, or perhaps coincidently, has landed sublimely into the laps and bulging satchels of the corrupt pharmaceutical conglomerates, who have made a fortune on the oversized bellies of the unwitting victims of such clandestine or surreptitious marketing strategies.

Life is full of winners and losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its a sequence of events really. Obesity was fighting with mental health for the attention of all those do-gooders who like interfering in peoples lives, but then covid came along to grab all the headlines and they decided that locking people inside, closing gyms and stopping childrens sport was the best thing to do.

It wasn't, of course, but having done that it is now very hard for the sanctimonious to go back to preaching about sugary drinks. Too many awkward questions such as "If you cared about childrens weight why did you stop children going to parks and playing with their friends?"

So they need to wait a while yet before they can go back to lecturing the public on this particular issue. But don't worry, they haven't gone away you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Takes a lot of Lenten like discipline to swerve the temptation that is all around. From the "innocent" milky latte and added bun/pastry, to lunch rolls from the deli piled high with gorgeous stuff and slathered in mayo, and take aways, and alcohol and and and.. I don't blame anyone, life is frantic these days and making things easier by getting something on the way home is done by many now. Unless fast food joints are closed down and supermarkets banned from selling anything but cucumbers and celery, and pubs closed and so on, most people will just buy it and enjoy it. It is easy to procure. Most people know what the solution is but even more don't care. Free will you see, it is not illegal.

On another note, has anyone noticed that more and more younger people are succumbing to cancer, sudden death heart issues and the like, and when you read about them the majority are described as "very fit, ran marathons, did triathlons, etc." Seems to me that the message is feck it, do what you want, being super fit and food conscious will not save you much in the end. Well at least that's what I get from reading about many sad an untimely deaths.

I'm no saint, but I don't drink don't smoke, only take a half hour walk most days, don't do gym, swims or anything. But I haven't had a health check for a while, and have no intentions to do so any time soon. They will always find something that needs a CT, MRI, bloods, tests, x-rays the lot. Scamalotta patients that way I feel. If you have symptoms, fine and an annual blood check for diabetes is probably good advice, but health anxiety is a curse for some too.

Ok off to eat my one square of dark chocolate that is advised as a treat. LOL. if only that was all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Your comments on young people succumbing to death as a result of this or that are worthwhile, however I do believe that the premature death of any human can facilitate media to enable populist agendas to indicate that they occur as a result of something or other?

The reality is that people have been dropping dead for centuries, at all ages, shapes and sizes?

There's nothing subjective about the dangers of obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

It's 2023. Being fat is brave now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

It ended when the multinationals realised there is more money to be made selling to fat people, rather than trying to sell them the idea of being thin.

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement