Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kefir grains, where to get?

Options
  • 03-03-2023 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

Hi, as per the title I'm wondering where to get kefir grains?

Preferably in a shop in Dublin, but otherwise online (Ire/EU)?

Tried Holland and Barrett.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Check adverts.ie there is a number of people selling them in different parts of country.

Also try request on a local facebook page, a lot of people will be more than happy to give some away for free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Where are you based? My parents have milk kefir in North County Dublin they will happily share with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MrCostington

@cruizer101 Thanks, I'll have a look on adverts. I'm not on FB.

@Loveinapril Thank you so much for the kind offer. I won't take it up though, I'd feel kinda weird being a random guy off the internet rocking up to your parents with my hand out :) But tell them thanks if you have asked them first.

anyone used these suppliers:

https://kefirgrains.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I bought 10g off kefirgrains.ie last week and I'm still waiting for it.

• Ordered on the 28th (at the end of the business day in fairness)
    • Was marked as "completed" on the 1st. Reading into the email it says "Your order has now been processed and is awaiting dispatch".

Haven't heard anything since. Will enquire to them tomorrow if it doesn't show up

They did arrive the next day in fairness. No luck on generating Kefir yet, to be expected apparently and also it is a bit cold in the house I guess!

• Advertisement

Just in case anyone is following this, maybe on day 3 or 4 it started producing Kefir. We did move it into the living room where the fire is too so it would have been much warmer.

It has been consistently making Kefir everyday since, probably in less than 24 hours. We started it every morning and every morning when we woke up it was done, maybe even further along than the day before.

I've moved it back into the kitchen now to see how it gets on in the colder room. We've also probably reached Kefir capacity at the moment. We are producing 500ml a day, but we aren't consuming that much!

We are playing around with second fermenting a bit and added two bannans to 500ml of kefir, the kids really liked it. (I only thought it was ok/decent)

Truth be told, I personally amn't liking it as much as the kids are! The Kefir I bought in Lidl a couple of weeks ago basically just tasted like yoghurt, I could have used on its own with some nuts and berries and been happy enough. Our own stuff is probably not as nice, I usually have it mixed with some natural yoghurt. Like everyone online describes it as delicious, I probably won't use that term! "Fine" maybe!?

I'll keep playing around with it and see how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Red Rua

I ordered from keifergrans.ie some time ago and worked out fine. Still making keifer 1 year later

Advertisement