Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband router bridge mode?

• 03-03-2023 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭

Thinking of moving from Virgin to Sky which is much cheaper, basic TV package and 1Gb/s broadband for €60p/m for 12 months. Paying €100 at the moment for basic virgin tv package and 500Mb/s broadband. Rang virgin and they couldn't really offer anything close to the Sky deal but they did warn me that speeds with Sky wouldn't be as good and likely to be nowhere near the advertised 1Gb/s.

Anyway I have my current Virgin router in bridge mode to a mesh and internally wired ethernet network. I've read that the Sky router can't do bridge mode, does that mean then I'll have 2 wifi networks in the house whether I want them or not. Obviously I don't have to connect to the Sky wifi but seems silly that it'll just be sitting there using up energy.

Another question is if I do change to Sky do they run 1Gb/s broadband through the coaxial/docsis cable system or will there be a rigmarole of getting a phone line in the house up and running?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

For the 1GB Sky Broadband, this is via Fibre which will involve the installation of a new fibre optic cable into the house (the co-axial cable used currently is owned by Virgin and only Virgin provide service via it)

If you won't have a phone service via Sky you can bridge the modem but even better as long as the mesh system supports vlan tagged (Vlan is set to 10) you can ditch the Sky router altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭Damien360

Sorry to dig up an old thread but the OP’s question is exactly what I am trying to find out. I have VM 360 in bridge mode with a google mesh as my router. We do have a phone service via VM and that is plugged directly into the VM box. So it’s a VOIP service.

if I switch to Vodafone SIRO or Sky SIRO, in my setup, can I bridge either box so I can keep my router. I want to keep the phone line also so I assume that plugs back into the supplied modem or am I better just switching to a different VOIP provider. My router does support Vlan tagging 10 according to online reports. It’s a google nest version, one before current sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I can't speak to the telephone side of things but I got sky broadband and set up vlan tagging with my TP Link Deco mesh system. So my ONT box is connected directly to my deco base node and I don't use the sky broadband router at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭feargantae

Did you ever get this working? Google Nest is meant to support VLAN 10 and meant to download the right settings once you set it up but it's never worked for me. Have my Sky hub connected with its wifi off

I’m in the process of getting Vodafone Siro into the house. Might be a delay as they couldn’t get through the duct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭RaoulDukeHST

How did it go? Thinking of ditching VM coax for Sky Siro…

That's an old post ! Went perfect in the end. One guy said couldn't be done and his buddy turned up and said he could do it. Circet found the blockage about 5 feet away from my box, ran a new short section from the blockage up to my ESB box, connected and it's working well since. VM refused to change price down to match until the very day I was getting switched over. Then it was too late for them. Step one is ask to switch, and then Circet turn up. They can either do it right then or they can't and have to come back. Don't ditch VM until Siro up and running fully. Add €5 per month for phone if you need a house phone and then port number ensuring VM still active. So you will have to suffer one extra month payment to VM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ongarite

Google Nest supports VLAN 10 but you can't configure on the Nest. You need a separate switch that can tag VLAN for you & then connect that to the WLAN port on the Nest.

Currys have a cheap TP Link managed switch for €30 that can do this. I have post on this forum on how to setup & configure this.

Post edited by ongarite on

Advertisement