Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Display Port Switches

Options
  • 03-03-2023 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I' work from home with a personal PC with a display port and a VGA port. I've 2 monitors connected to it. I've now been given a work laptop that I must use. I've also got a spare monitor that I can use, but I would like to avoid the clutter of three monitors in my home office.

The work laptop has a docking station with two display ports and a VGA connection.

I want to be be able to have two monitors connect to the laptop and the ability to switch to two monitors on the personal PC. Is there a way to setup the monitors so that they are switchable between the work laptop and the personal PC?

What is the neatest solution to allow me to switch the monitors between the work laptop and personal PC?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I have two monitors being used by two laptops.

Each monitor has one DisplayPort (DP) and two HDMI ports.

My laptops have one DP and one HDMI each.

Laptop 1 HDMI to monitor 1 HDMI-1, DP to monitor 2 DP

Laptop 2 DP to monitor 1 DP, HDMI to monitor 2 HDMI-1

Then I just use the source select option on each monitor to "change the channel" as it were and switch between laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just rechecked, my monitors have DP, HDMI and VGA connections.

Personal PC: DP and VGA.

Work Laptop Docking station: 2 x DP & VGA.

Monitor 1: VGA -> personal PC. DP -> unused. HDMI -> unused.

Monitor 2: VGA -> unused. DP -> personal PC. HDMI -> unused.

So that fills all monitor inputs on the personal PC. For the work laptop can I send monitor 1 DP output and monitor 2 VGA output to the docking station?

Ahh - so you use the menu option on the monitor itself to switch between output devices? I think I've got you now!

Is there any advantage to adapting the VGA output to Display Port input for the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Would a KVM switch be a better option as I could switch between monitors and also keyboard/mouse without need for additional items cluttering up desk space?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Ideally, you want one docking station, connected to all your peripherals and monitors, and just use it with both laptops. That would be the minimum number of cables and hassle, but it's not always possible, as it depends on the laptops you have.

For example, my work has provided me with a thunderbolt/USB-C laptop, and I also own a MacBook Pro. So, I'm using a simple USB-C hub, and just replace laptops on my desk.

Advertisement