Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving fibre ONT and or router.

Options
  • 03-03-2023 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Happy with my eir fibre 500.

If I'd read this forum beforehand I might have gotten the install done differently.

The house came with phone cable routing into the side and a blank plate the hallway in front of that.

The fibre installer pulled through the optical cable and then installed equipment in the hallway.

This is a bit messy but also I find that the sky q box is not happy on wifi.

So, I want to move at least the router to where the virgin router sat, under the TV.

My options are:

1) run an ethernet cable back and across front of the house, into sitting room.

then move the router - not a big deal, I can do this.

2) Run a longer fibre optic from the termination box on the wall, back out and across the house. Then i can move the ONT as well.

The advantage of 2 is a neater end result. but I think possibly I could run into issues if theres a fault and eir need to call out. and I risk kinking the cable.

Opinions?

Thanks a mill folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

For someone who hasn't worked with fibre before, option 1 is easier and most likely cheaper. You can easily buy outdoor rated CAT5e/CAT6 cable, even pre-terminated should you be happy to have larger holes in walls.

Unsure if you are in a bunglow or X-story house. If bunglow - consider going up into attic and means you can use non-outdoor cable.

On the 'not happy' point for your SkyQ on wifi, consider running a wifi scanning app to see if your new Eir wifi/router has just used a congested wifi channel. You can force it to move to another less used channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Thanks Kerbdog. Had decided at this point to go ethernet. Yeah fair point on wifi channel, I will give that a go first.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,555 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ethernet over power line may be a less troublesome solution. I've used it kna similar situation with an STB that didn't like wireless.

Advertisement