Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That is a sweet GFS run. Do we look to extend the cold too?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS 6z still giving a good 10cm or so for many places tomorrow. Dublin City could get at least 4 or 5cm at some point too.

After a brief warm up over the weekend we go back into another cold spell from Monday just like what the UKMO was showing yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Re the South the next few hours will hold most interest. Heavier ppn could deliver snow in places like Cork between 1130am and 3pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Harmonie a little further South today but brings the front back across the Southeasy tomorrow night with snow for many areas apart from Southeast. Remember temperatures are going to drop sharply once that clears tomorrow night so a right icy mess Friday morning for many!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Snow-Ice warning for Ireland

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Rain, sleet and snow will spread northwards across the country later tonight (Wednesday night) and during Thursday accompanied by strengthening easterly winds. Accumulations of snow are expected in many areas along with icy conditions.

Sleet and snow will likely transition to rain in southern areas for a time.

Possible Impacts:

● Hazardous driving conditions

● Travel disruption

● Poor Visibility

Valid: 03:00 Thursday 09/03/2023 to 23:00 Thursday 09/03/2023

Issued: 10:36 Wednesday 08/03/2023

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Snow-Ice warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Sleet and snow slowly clearing eastwards on Thursday night and early on Friday with further accumulations of snow expected.

• Possible Impacts:
    • ● Hazardous driving conditions
    • ● Travel disruption
    • ● Poor Visibility
    • Valid: 23:00 Thursday 09/03/2023 to 07:00 Friday 10/03/2023
    • Issued: 10:36 Wednesday 08/03/2023

I was hoping for an orange warning for the North West.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Is Waterford likely to get any snow accumulations over the next few days ? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭squarecircles

yes ,going by the charts i would have thought there would be considerably more snow than 3 cm in 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

My notifications seem to have stopped since ME updated the app

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have fond memories of that place... Had there been anywhere to rent..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

An orange warning is likely imo. Probably holding back until tonight/tomorrow for more certainty on the track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭highdef

I am expecting an upgrade to an Orange warning for many areas by later today.

anyone know when the next ECM is out.

Hopefully we go orange by this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

What about the likelihood of snow for Kildare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,566 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Waterford probably won't have accumulations of snow unless maybe 1-2 cm Friday morning at tail end of event.

Here's my county by county estimate for snow potential (by Friday morning) ...

15-25 cm all of Connacht and Ulster except for some coastal areas (notably Galway Bay) 5-15 cm.

10-20 cm Longford, Westmeath, Louth

5-10 cm Clare, Tipps, Offaly, Meath, some parts of Dublin mostly higher than 100m, higher parts of Wicklow, higher parts of Cork and Kerry

2-5 cm at most elsewhere with higher amounts on any higher terrain possible.

trace to 2 cm along south coast.

(totals valid to 0900h Friday, maximum amounts may be higher than snow depths at any given point due to partial melting and compaction of already fallen snow)

Not much of this will fall today, it will start tonight and intensify on Thursday mid-day to evening. Some of the southeast predicted snow will not happen until late Thursday night into Friday morning.

With strong E-NE winds this could verify blizzard criteria (more likely in west and north, then Thursday night possibly parts of Leinster too).

As to colour code warnings, would not be surprised if they upgrade to orange for counties I've mentioned above 10+ and possibly the 5-10 also. That might not happen until tonight or early Thursday.

You couldn't ask for a bvetter low pressure track and intensity, cold uppers are a bit marginal to get super excited but I think they are just good enough and with evaporational cooling effects during heavier bursts of precip, snow should win out in marginal zones. I also suspect the inland push of 7-10 C temps on Thursday may be overdone on guidance, could be held closer to south coast. Time will tell.

UK Met office warning updated and has removed NE and central Scotland from the warning which is good news for more of Ireland. In the text accompanying the warning, some areas on higher ground across the North could see up to 40cm.

In County Down 32cm of snow was recorded on the 25/01/21 at trassey slievenaman at an altitude of 264m. Interesting to see if it beats that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I hate ye all.

Re "..You couldn't ask for a better low pressure track and intensity...". I could - about 150 miles further south!

Enjoy all. Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

• Advertisement

"10-20 cm Longford, Westmeath, Louth" - This is very much IMBYism but I'm planning to take a trip to the house in Longford which is at bang on 100m ASL. This land rises to the east to about 135m. @M.T. Cranium, would you reckon that could result in snow depths being at the higher end of your estimate for my Longford location, based on current information to hand?

Tomorrow

Thursday morning will be very cold with rain sleet and snow spreading northeastwards to all areas with poor visibility and very hazardous driving conditions. In the afternoon, sleet and snow will continue over Ulster, Connacht and north Leinster, but will turn mainly to rain and sleet further south. Temperatures of 0 to 5 degrees

My goodness blizzard like conditions would seal the deal for me. That really is an epic forecast. I know technically it probably won't be a blizzard, but blizzard like will do. It was worth all the frustration of the winter if this forcast is correct. I just hope there are no downgrades this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Netweather is showing a heavy green blob over the city currently, but its just a few snow spits! So strange

Judging by the models, FI looks to be 48+ hours! :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Regardless of how this pans out, it's good to be back! The excitement in this thread is contagious. Badly missed this during the Winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Not bloody hope down here, currently nearly 5C and dew point 0.2C.

The upcoming snowy spell is showing as main headline on RTÉ news website for me so it'll be turning into the story of the day in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

It would appear the good folk in the kingdom are already lost

Is there much to come from this band of precip ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Snowing in Cork City! Take it in while it lasts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Good idea to feed the birds today because they will struggle tomorrow.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement