Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 feirmeoir101

I´m surprised no orange warning has been issued, especially for inland midlands and the west, it seems to easily meet the criteria for orange which is:

3cm or greater in 6 hrs

5cm or greater in 12 hrs

10cm or greater in 24 hrs

School runs in the morning will likely be ok, at 3 or 4pm it could be quite tricky in parts. Friday morning will likely be the most disruptive as there will be something on the ground, either snow or rain and whatever it is will freeze hard in a lot of places. At this late stage in the evening most people will not have deferred journeys tomorrow as the warning has remained at yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

When is the worst to start tonight or tomorrow in the mid west?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭piplip87

Very very light few showers in Virginia over the last few hours, it's very cold. Thinking we could do fairly well tomorrow. Was sent home with the laptop this evening so hopefully it takes out the internet ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I would say that the best snowfalls here have always been nowcasts or even "no-casts" (ninja snow i think they call it around here).

I'm still a bit skeptical of much lying snow at low levels tomorrow for that very reason.

2010 and 2018 are the only times I can remember significant snowfalls forecast accurately in advance (more than 24 hours)

However I can think of 4 or 5 big snowfalls here over the decades that came with zero warning from forecasters (Feb 97, Dec 01 to name two)

Whats the soil temperature Gonzo? Its been above average across the country for the last 6 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Where is optimistic JS gone?! Not expecting anything where I am anyway but you never know. Higher ground down this way as always the likely areas if any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am guessing that's hilly terrain you have in mind for the higher end totals . Either way this will likely be the most snow I have seen since 2010! The temperatures tomorrow would be below freezing if this was happening a month go.

With this in mind, I am just hoping it stays cloudy after the snow stops, so we can hang on to it for as long as possible.

We had a system back in maybe 2017 or 18 quite similar to this one that was heavy rain on the the southern side.

Quite a bit of snow was forecast and the wraparound was very snowy, however the wraparound turned out to be carrying less precip and clearing eastwards faster than expected, so only south Leinster ended up getting much in the way of accumulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,861 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Main action for eastern coastal counties will be after dark with snow accumulating quickly so try to hold off the complaints in the morning 🙂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

In before 50 posts of “non event” and “why are people scaremongering” before 10am tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not really relevant but down to -15c already (at 9pm) in northern Scotland (Altnahara).

He's "doing a Gonzo" on it and trying to summon the snow via reverse psychology....give up on it for the year...and then suddenly: SNOWDRIFTS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And it's 10c and I am going around in my t-shirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

On the hills of South Wicklow / North Wexford / East Carlow, yes absolutely 30cm possible over the next 36 hours. Say over 300 metres.

Lower down 10 to 20 cms locally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Graupel snow falling now in Dublin City Centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Higher ground Galway border into Roscommon, Offaly and Longford most likely to see the highest totals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

No idea of the soil temperature but after almost 8 weeks of warmer than average temperatures those soil temperatures are probably doing us no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Kutebride

In the Wicklow hills today. Mostly calm and birds singing. Had my hat off of some stretches of walking but pending which way you turned hat back on and with plenty of layers; pleasant enough out walking. It's so dry underfoot too having been so dry for weeks. Plenty of sporadic wee white flakes just floating about in the breeze.

Snow capped lug was off in the distance.

Drove back tonight. Light rain in Dublin and on M3. Very tempting to stay with the inlaws but probably be glad when wake up to the lying snow in the morning back on flat ground :)

3⁰ Meath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Went for a walk and it's feeling very snowy out there. Hours away...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Yes I think that was 2017 and this is a similar situation. By the time it reaches the East precipitation will be light and patchy with little to no accumulation except for high grounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

Siobhan had the snow-sleet dividing line tomorrow afternoon, basically north of the Slieve Blooms and it should be snow all the way through, sleet and snow south of the line and judging by the south coast temperatures, rain to sleet there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Snugged in here, watching the weather! Even if my supplies get stymied tomorrow I will be fine... BE PREPARED is the way when living offshore...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

Temps tomorrow:

Snow-sleet line:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Inmate2020

I’m just commenting now . Because I do be on every day rain hail or shine but I’m shy so haven’t commenting since 19 o splash 😆😆😆

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Redsercurran

I'm the exact same 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

GFS model is sticking to it's guns on the 18z run. Icon and ECMWF model runs bringing the low further north this evening also.

The west, northwest, north, midlands and north Leinster doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

That weather forecast for tomorrow night in the east coast was very nice, with a dark heavy snow cloud symbol across much of the E coast, I pray for evaporative cooling to significantly help us here in SCD.

Worst comes to worst, Enniskerry tomorrow eve it is!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The snow-sleet line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it corrects a little more north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭teddybones

Awh folks I never have to drive anywhere but tomorrow for once in my life I have to drive from Wicklow to Claremorris for a fecking job interview and I am absolutely planking it! Leaving Wicklow at 2:30pm ugh should I pack essentials for survival lol? I absolutely love snow and any other event I’d be so excited but just facepalming at the thoughts of this tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement