Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,566 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Dew points look good to me, as winds increase there is a large pool of -4 to -7 dew points upstream for ENE winds to pull into the circulation. That is going to limit any northward creep of the rain-snow line.

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/temperatures.php?region=uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Getting a tad sleety in Galway city but still just cold light rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭DaithiMa

Light wintry precipitation here 6/7 miles NNW of Tuam. Dandruff blowing about in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Snowing in West limerick now, starting to stick

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Temp has dropped to 1.2c. dew point holding at minus 1c.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

I’m in Mullingar so @M.T. Cranium im grateful for that line not going anymore north - I’ve a three year old with snow expectations!

Snowing in Galway City now.

Short lived affair, only when the precip preps up it seems, otherwise seems to be a sleety drizzle.

Clare (410ft asl)

The latest precip chart from the Arome. Snow reaching all bar northern coastal areas

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Light snizzle Knockananna, Co Wicklow 205m asl.

Clare (410ft asl)

Settling well in mid Clare at 150 asl. Time to hit the hay

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The temperatures will be falling back somewhat in the next hour or two in Eastern coastal counties - probably make things more wintry shortly.

Snow picked up a good bit now in Galway City, settling on cars and roofs so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

Scotland very cold this morning. Amazing with ease far lower minimas this March then most of our stations in central Europe this year where no effects of SSW were felt. I am looking at temperatures in around areas where I used to live for many years before leaving home for Slovakia, axis Tallaght - Hollywood,co.Wicklow, temperatures there are dropping now by a degree to about +1.5°C, Roundwood below 1°C snowing now, the usual is happening where you need ideally at least 230m asl fór a quality settled Snow. Where I would love to be now is Glencree armoury coffee shop at 400m+ altitude, hoping to see pictures there on social media later today/tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Light snow Athenry, just about settling on cars and grass

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

Looks like its snowing between Tallaght and Saggart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

about 3cm of snow fell in my area of north cork between 2am and 5am, not sure what it’s like now but it’s bucketing down rain in ballincollig now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just woke up to see bits of snow on the grass, but none has settled on the pavement so far

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭skinnyfries

Raining and windy - North Louth

No intensity in the precipitation, seems to be easing off for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Very cold and rain with a bit of sleet mixed here in leixlip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,566 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Overall seems a touch warmer but my earlier stated rain/snow boundary of Galway Bay to Louth seems okay, I had suspected the thing would rotate a bit further before a pivot back south around 1600h and later. At lower elevations it will be a cold rain with some snowflakes mixed in for places like Dublin, lower elevations of midlands, and south to a zone where it's a milder rain. It probably won't change over to snow east of a Mullingar to Drogheda line until about 4 p.m., and in Dublin 6 to 8 p.m. (snow could fall on higher ground though).

Donegal in particular will benefit from this squeeze play in the north and I expect reports of heavy snow from there as well as higher parts of Connacht. Rain-snow mix at times near sea level, but 10-15 cm snow at almost all other elevations. This will spread into Ulster slowly but surely. Snow will start to edge back south around 4 p.m. and will accelerate to cover all regions by 8 p.m. -- accumulations may be significant in Leinster after the change over.

Very windy at times this evening too. Higher parts of Connacht and Ulster could have white-out conditions as a result.

So by the sounds of that slightly further north rain/snow boundary we will just have a miserable cold wet day, work sounding very inviting now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

White gold in West Galway!!

Heavy flakes. Joyous to see.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Duplicate. Too excited.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Sleety rain has turned to wet snow as it’s turned a bit heavier here in Tara, Meath. Not sticking yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Raining NE Meath

3⁰

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

It was a rain sleety mix in Carlow town just after 5am but turned gradually more to snow. Moderately snowing now, very light snow but starting to stick to cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

Heaviest snow since Emma. Mid Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭maximus15

Snowfall within in last couple hours outside westport. Settled on grass and cars . Stopped again for now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Nothing in south Carlow yet but it wasn’t expected. Just rain and wind. Miserable day ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement