Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Well I’m not eating my words it’s a **** fest. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The heavy rain here is starting to turn much more to sleet with an increase in wet flakes. I'm about 90m ASL. I'd imagine another 50 to 80 meters or so higher and this would be very close to proper snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Tried to warn the young lad last night that we probably won't have snow this morning (Wicklow Town)...but he had been well and truly convinced by his school friends that it was a sure thing. The cry of anguish when he woke up to pouring rain...😥

Here's hoping we get a bit of a dusting tonight, but I certainly won't be over egging it. The Wicklow coastline really isn't known for it's snow days!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

That's a very good sign. Give it till about 5pm and it should be snowing over much of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Beginning to stick now in South Sligo been snowing for about an hour and a half - very cold.

90m asl South Sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It has snowed since earlier this morning. I am not on high ground either. The issue is the temperature is just too high for it to stick in many places . I should have stuck with my gut instinct that the temperatures were not going to be cold enough to deliver settling snow. If we had colder air entrenched and colder uppers we could have got away with it, but you are essentially right at this time of year we need conditions to be just perfect for snow to settle widely. If this had occurred in January, or even in early February, we probably would have seen the accumulation figures mentioned in the run up to this. We would also be enjoying an ice day after the fall . Maybe with an Easterly qb and a moderate El Nino, next winter will deliver something in the heart of winter!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 06Z sticking to its guns, will be interesting to see how well it transitions to snow as the front swings from the Western to the Eastern side of the country. Look at all that cold air being dragged in by the Lp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭highdef

Increasingly intense band of precipitation heading just east of North, currently orientated from Ennis to Clonmel. I'd say it's mainly sleet and wet snow away from high ground but as that pushes north, I'd expect many central parts of the country to begin to see some appreciative snowfall and if over about 100m ASL, all the better.

• Administrators Posts: 54,055 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mid Clare, I'd say 90% of the snow is now gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Some more pics South East Laois. 1pm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Turning more towards sleet/snow now with less in the way of cold rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Those are probably the most beautiful photos I have ever seen , amazing 👏🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

The rain in Naas got a bit whiter for a while but now it's back watery again, this is on a knife edge, car said 3 degrees at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Where are tou bud?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

I’m about 150 meters asl out the road from you in Tara and it’s all snow now again (was sleet since about 9). Still quite wet snow but sticking on the grass, cars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭highdef

All snow furth west from you in Trim now albeit light enough and not even remotely cool enough nor heavy enough to accumulate on anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its an excellent trend, if we can get the air to cool ahead of sundown it'll make for a plastering this evening when the front curls away back SE and the NE wind peps up.

Knock at 0c and Valentia at 12c at 14.00. Just shows how marginal this event is for just about everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just back from collecting the kids from school, the foothills of Three Rock are very white looking, looks like higher areas of the Wicklow /Dublin mountain chain are doing well.

Any reports from Roundwood in Wicklow this afternoon?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

Ennis - Kilrush road, Co Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Would say the system has now stalled in its northward push and will now slowly begin to spin away to the eastsoutheast.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Left Dunboyne there at 2.15 and am up in D15 now.

Not a flake anywhere.

If anything the rain has become heavier.

That must be what I am under now. As the snow is quite heavy now, but alas its still not sticking.

Pity it wasn't windy now as it would be blizzard like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭adam240610

Went for a pretty miserable, cold run in the moderate sleety rain in greystones, definitely starting to get colder now with a lightening easterly breeze

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

On the edge of the milder air here in Greystones. 5.0c now. Rain.

Sea pretty rough giving us natural protection right by the coast from chance of any lying snow. Lots of salt in the air!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I think I might have seen you running when I was out for a walk! There were very few out and about.

Actually temperature on the rise here at the moment.

Very close to wet snow here now at Dunshaughlin. When this turns to snow temperatures are going to have to drop before we see anything sticking, the ground is saturated here now with plenty of surface water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 donaleire

Snowing in Kinnegad the last half hour now, but not sticking at all, it was raining before that for a good while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement