Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any apple tree experts?

Options
  • 03-03-2023 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need to sort out two bramley apple trees that have suffered incorrect pruning over the years.

Basically I need to do some renovation pruning to control the overall height and also bring the high level watershoots under control.

I’ve brought myself up to speed with winter and summer pruning and the impact of both on wood and fruit production so I have an idea of what needs to be done now.

Advice - in the attached pic, should I cut back one (or both) of the near vertical branches to one of the more horizontal branches? The tree has been pruned in such a way in a previous life that there are almost two main trunks that don’t really branch out significantly until over head height. I appreciate that I may not be able to all of this in one year.

any advice welcome - thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yes i'd remove those two vertical branches in the middle of near tree. I'd also be inclined to remove the lowest branch on the further one, think it would leave a better shape.

After that it's a case of thinning the watershoots, aim for removing 1/2 of them at least, but don't shorten the remaining ones as you want them to form a new frame

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Thanks - yes I think I will go ahead with cutting those two main branches back alright. That approach would be in line with what I’ve been reading but wasn’t sure if it was too drastic given the existing framework of that tree.

I see what you mean about the rear tree alright. I’m reluctant to remove lower branches though as I’m trying to contain the height as it is, and want to get it fruiting lower down more.

That lowest branch is actually reaching highest is it not? Tree would look far better without it

No - I think the one that appears to be higher in the photo is actually on the front tree!

Ah, optical illusion, i'd still remove it though!

• Advertisement

Sound - will have a look at it tomorrow and see!

Advertisement