Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tear in Engine Bay Hose

• 04-03-2023 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭

When I opened the bonnet today I found a tear in the wide gauge hose leading from the cylinders to what i assume is the exhaust.

I'll try to attach photos.

It seems tape was previously placed over the tear, unknown to me.

The car has been running fine, including today.

Can i drive it until dropping it into a mechanic on Monday?

Should i try to tape over the tear in the interim, and if so what type of tape would be safe and suitable?

The car is a 2007 Honda Accord Petrol.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Safe to drive,tear off that tape thats there in case it sucks it in. If you really want to tape it again use duct tape or silage bale tape. Dont use parcel tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭BornSkippy

Thanks RustyNail.

Is there any risk of poisoning from untreated exhaust fumes coming into the cabin as a result of the tear?

Could the fumes in the hose be sufficiently hot to cause duct tape glue to combust and cause a fire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

That looks like the air intake hose btween the air filter and the engine.

The exhaust is the four pipes at the front of the engine.

I'd use some wide heavy duty tape to wrap around the split area, making sure there's no loose tape (old or new) or the loose material that might get drawn into the air intake. You may be ok leaving it as it is until you get to the garage but air filters are there for a reason.

Post edited by FishOnABike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I would not drive with this for long. Intake has no filter now - all dust/debris get sucked in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

That’s the intake manifold at the front, not the exhaust. With the tear in the hose unfiltered air is being pulled into your engine, dirt and dust, if something like a tiny piece of grit was pulled in it could ruin your engine by scoring the cylinder bores.

Go and buy a new hose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mk7r

This is common and those hoses are unfortunately pretty eye watering price wise

Thanks everyone for your responses, all very helpful.

Is changing one of these hoses a fairly easy DIY job?

I looked at a video or two on Youtube and it seemed do-able.

What's the best way to source a replacement hose?

I couldn't find any on the likes of Mr Auto and the Ebay parts may be spurious. Maybe I'm using the wrong name to search for them.

Honda main dealer for the hose is your best bet, looks like a 10 minute job to replace it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Check tube, there is several videos, there might be variants where air sensor located. 10min job alright if you got few tools

They are around 350 euro from honda 😬 hard to find spurious too

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

By the looks of it that was taped a long time ago.And has probably lasted years - previous owner didnt want to spend 350 on a hose either!!!

Its a really common fault on them. But 350 is nuts. Take it off, glue it back together at the seam using the clear tec- 7 and then duct tape around the repair - I guarantee you it will last years if done right. Make sure its clean before you glue it.

I did a friends one like this 6 years ago and its still going strong. I wouldnt be paying 350 for a hose from Honda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Here's one new from main dealer in UK, £75. Pre-Brexit I have dealt with these and they are good, they still ship Worldwide, duty on top might be another €20 and then whatever cost to ship. Worth pricing at dealers here too.

Personally unless you are going to sell the car in the next few months I would go with new as the rubber in them perishes over time and fitting one that's on the way out could result in another tear before it's on.

It happens when people change the air filters and pull the top of the air filter housing, flexing this hose slightly as you would on most marques to remove the air filter. On the Honda you need to make sure you fully remove it as they made these hoses so stiff 🙄

Be a little bit careful, there are quite a few variations of this hose, all just slightly different but they all have the same problem

Thanks AtlanticDawn.

That part you linked was delivered quickly and seems genuine.

About £100 all in.

Fitting it was grand, I found this video helpful.

Tape over the gap worked fine for a week.

I ordered a cheaper non OEM part before, which hasn't arrived yet. If anyone finds themselves in the same boat, drop me a line and I can give it to you for free. I'm in Dublin.

Advertisement