Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract

• 05-03-2023 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello,

I have been offered a role in the public sector within a medical field, having worked in a similar role in the private sector, that after 6 Months probationary period, I was made a full time permanent member of the team.

However, in the contract I have been offered within the public sector, it states this role is a temporary specified purpose, and that I can be dismissed once the said purpose is complete.

On the surface of reading this, it seems it is a temporary position with no end date, but I am querying what this actual means in practice.

Could I be let go with a Months notice, having only worked in this position for a number of Months, or is this a way of not having to offer someone a permanent contract, but it doesn't mean there will actual been an end date?

I would appreciate some guidance from anyone who has been offered this kind of contract.

Thank you

Comments

It sounds like a rolling contract.

Initial term of usually 3 or 6 months, at the end of which, if the project is not complete, they roll it over for another 3 or 6 months, and so on. Ive had a few of these, longest went on for three years. However, yes it does mean they can serve you one months notice, and thats it. Contracts like these usually pay more than if you were a permanent employee, but it gives them the ability to get rid of you with little warning and they dont need to give a reason. Also, you wont get the benefits that regular employees get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭griffin100

You need to ask what the specified purpose is. It could be cover for someone on maternity leave or long term sick leave or it could be specific project related. You could be in the role for a long time or a few months.

Advertisement