Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Trailer (for two kids). 2023

Options
  • 05-03-2023 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭

Found some recent threads on safety of these on road etc but this thread is just requesting reviews on the various options.

We will not be using this around town, traffic, more on paths and trails...

How hard are they to attach? And cycle with? Any good places to buy....looking for a good value option, won't be using weekly.

😎

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭fits

We had the Halfords one. It was fine and easy to use for the occasional use you describe.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

About a year and a half ago I bought myself the Burley Encore X from Holland Bike Shop - https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicycle-trailers/burley-bicycle-trailers/burley-encore-bicycle-trailer/burley-encore-x-bicycle-trailer-2-children-black-turquoise-617957/?country_id=260

They have a good selection of burley trailers and they'll ship to Ireland.

Very easy attach with the provided hitch, easy cycle with for the most part you just have to be aware of how wide it is. It folds down easy and throwing it in the car is v handy.

The Encore X has the advantage of converting to a stroller so you can use it without a bike. this is useful especially when you cycle to say a supermarket and then you can use it inside the store.

I opted for the double for the extra size and thinking of future proofing at the time, but also I could only get the stroller option in a double. I didn't go for cheap options as I wanted decent seats and some suspension which the X offers.

In my case I eventually upgraded to a cargobike as I found the hills locally made the use of it not very fun especially as I was using it daily for childcare drop off. Now it basically sits in the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Upgraded? So are you selling 😄

😎

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I say sits in the shed, its true but it still gets outings to greenways now and then which is the only real reason I'm hanging onto it as I can't fit the cargobike in or on the car due to size/weight. otherwise I'd have sold the burley last August.

I'm currently trying to source a trailer for the car for transporting the cargobike and if I can do that and it works out well for transport I'd def be selling the Burley trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I have this: https://www.thule.com/en-ie/bike-trailers/bike-trailers-for-multiple-activities/thule-chariot-cross-2-_-10202026

Apart from the above, it's a great contraption. Great to cycle with, even fully loaded with kids and some luggage, and nice for running too (I don't use the jogging wheel upgrade). It converts to a buggy without much fuss, so we use it for cycling to the park and then going for walks around it.

Downsides: putting the towbar into the trailer need some elbow grease when it's got any weight in it (i.e. a child). Other than that, towbar out of the trailer or off/on the bike is straightforward enough. The rainproof cover is needs two little finnicky loops to go around a hook each. An adjustable strap would've been much easier. We've stopped using it when it's both wet and cold, as the fiddly parts just get too much - trying to get the waterproof cover off and on when you can't feel your fingers or are wearing gloves is truly annoying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement