Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Traveller culture to be promoted through school curriculum: Posted on BBC website!

Options
  • 05-03-2023 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

A spokesperson for the Department of Education in Ireland - which provided funding - said the report aimed to provide an important resource to support teachers, practitioners and students in understanding and appreciating Traveller culture and history.

Wonder what that will look like?

NCCA's research recommends the study of Cant, also known as Gammon or Shelta, an indigenous language used by Irish Travellers.

Considered a Creole language based on pidgin elements of Old Irish, but also incorporating English and other languages, it is a highly flexible dialect unique to certain communities.

"Our language is due its rightful place. It would be as easy as standing up in the Dáil [lower house of Irish parliament] and giving it state recognition… Leo Varadkar [Irish prime minister] could do that tomorrow," said Patrick Nevin.

So in time where will "settled" kids go to learn Shelta once its gets on the exam slate, same as Chinese in the LC?

threadbans

batman_oh

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

So in time where will "settled" kids go to learn Shelta once its gets on the exam slate, same as Chinese in the LC?

The same place they go to learn Chinese, German, Arabic, Spanish, French....schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Awesome. Love traveller culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

We see enough of their culture over this end endangering motorists when they go sulky racing on the dual carraigeways.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

But does anyone in Ireland actually speak this Cant/Shelta language? Do any members of the Irish traveller community still speak it in every-day situations, and if so where can I find it on Youtube?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

A shame the Traveller children will not be in school for this course due to them quitting early

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Lots of culture available on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So propaganda in other words.

Will they mention the CSO’s last set of figures that approximately 7.3 % of the prison population in Ireland are travellers ?

this is nuts considering travellers are only .7% of the population here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭homingbird

If it aint tied down they consider it theirs say it all speaking as someone that has been done over by them more than once that culture will not change so why should we.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Its well known many travellers Refuse or Wont fill in the cencus form and like most other things they are left alone ....so their numbers are far greater than 0.7%.

Anyone in prison in Ireland has committed serious crimes , its quite difficult to get prison time in Ireland unless you commit serious serious crimes or are a repeat burgular-drug dealer etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

Their culture has enriched our island,, 200 years of peaceful coexistence.

And that town in Co. Limerick where that all live is such a nice place..

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Funny thing to get wound up about but I suppose that is the World currently

I will just highlight the two important words in the article

But that could soon change after research this week presented a possible framework of how such history and culture could be introduced to education

could and possible which of course put a huge question mark over everything else in the article.

Honestly I am not sure why people are getting so upset about a puff piece on an English website. The picture of a child on a horse in Ballymun 25 years ago says it all 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It will really bring people on to their side through education which most people never hear about in the mainstream media every week.

They are amongst the most tidy people I know, I've yet to see a single piece of litter or waste around any of the official halting sites of the country, the homes within them are maintained by those living in them like palaces.

I hope it shows the traveller work ethic particularly in the tarmacadam and home maintenance industries within their local communities, never have I heard someone say a bad word about their workmanship or value for money.

I admire their particular love for other victimised groups in society like the LGBTQ folk among their community.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I wonder will the way that they treat their animals be included in this curriculum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You must surely be joking. Halting site a few miles from here is reasonably tidy as you say............ but that's because they dump everywhere about in ditches, forests and streams! There are elderly about afraid of them - calling 'selling tools' and so on. Then every summer travellers from here and further afield gather at local beauty spot. Guess who has to tidy up the disgusting filth they leave behind?? I've met them lamping & hunting in the fields and forest at night, their dogs left to roam, fishing illegally and so on.

Respect has to be earned. I admire parts of traveller culture inc language and music but until they start having a bit of respect for the local environment, have little time overall for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

There may have been a hint of Fr Jessup in AD's post

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

Media studies section one: 'call outs' listen to what the traveller is saying.

Is it A: A greeting?

B: A threat to do harm or violence?

Or C: A meaningless incoherent stream of threats and empty promises?

Section 2 society and culture: Introducing yourself to a young lady.

Do you introduce yourself?

B: show off in front of your pals?

Or C: grab her by the breasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What do they say about sarcasm being the lowest form of wit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Judging by many of the comments here they didn't bring it in soon enough. That and a bit of anti racism.

On behalf of the decent, humane side of the settled community, I'd like to apologise to any travellers that come across this ignorant, small minded, hate filled sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You should come up to one of the halting sites on the edge of Derry then.

They throw all their rubbish, Inc nappies etc, over the fence and then every month or two, the local council have to arrange to have the mess cleaned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The comments here would be the comments here regardless of how the curriculum is delivered. Negative stereotypes of all cultures abound regardless of where they’re from, there’s no need to take it upon yourself to apologise on anyone else’s behalf, to anyone.

The curriculum has, as the article suggests, been in the works for the last four years, without any real progress or significant implementation. It should be obvious that the curriculum wouldn’t be promoting negative stereotypes about travellers, that question just doesn’t arise, any more than I would expect schools to impart negative stereotypes about any other culture, demonstrating that schools are not where anyone learns about negative stereotypes, and they would still harbour negative stereotypes of other cultures regardless of whether they ever attended formal education or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

A complete waste of time & resourses!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I see a bit of traveller culture leaking in to the settled community. Monster weddings with lots of cash gifts are fairly common in some settled societies now.

Not if you’re a traveller though, which I guess is kinda the point of the exercise. In any case it doesn’t require much time or resources which is already taken into consideration in developing the curriculum.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

back in the day the school curriculum was devised with the absolute intention of bettering and educating young people, enabling them with tangible and important knowledge, know how and tools to take into adulthood..

rather then act as a propaganda tool for a certain demographic of individuals. 👍🏻🙄

I dunno what period in time you’re referring to or where you were educated, but that was never the case in Ireland anyway where religion, civics and history were all used as propaganda tools by, and for, certain demographics of individuals.

The first part is true though, that the school curriculum was devised with the absolute intention of bettering and educating young people, enabling them with tangible and important knowledge, know how and tools to take into adulthood. That’s as true today as it was then, which is why the curriculum is revised every couple of years in an attempt to to reflect modern social standards and prepare children for adulthood.

Compared to the French education system for example which is more concerned with turning out little philosophers, the Irish education system is geared towards preparing children for Irish society. Educating children about travellers and their culture has been absent from the curriculum in all that time, which may go some way towards explaining why travellers didn’t see any importance in investing in an education system where they were either ignored, or made to feel like they didn’t belong in the school or classroom, and that’s before recognising the amount of shìt they have to put up with based upon negative stereotypes of travellers as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

talking about what you have observed is ignorant, small minded and hate filled.

• Advertisement

I don’t think anyone’s saying that. Talking about what you have observed is one thing; suggesting it’s a behaviour exhibited by all members of any particular group in society is another thing entirely.

It’s just as easy observe a person’s motives for that sort of behaviour too.

Advertisement