Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bringing own car from England

• 05-03-2023 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭

If i bring my current UK reg car back to Ireland, can I vrt and insure it and keep it at home for me to use when at home? Could I also add my father as a named driver for his occasional use?

I'd be staying in the UK for now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Timfy

Now, things may have changed because I'm going back over ten years but...

When we brought our UK registered car over here, we had to do the following;

Prove that we had owned the vehicle for over three years, this was done by getting our insurance company to fax(!) confirmation. If you couldn't do this you were liable for import tax on the vehicle.

Register the car in Ireland, fit new number plates within 48hrs.

Prove that we were resident in the Republic. Residency meant spending over six months of the year here.

PPS number required.

Like I say, things may be different now...

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I think you can only being in one car tax free once in your lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Buffman

Sounds like a normal VRT process OP as you're not transferring residence back. Presumably you have an Irish address you can use to register and tax.

Insurance would be another matter, you'd have to contact insurance companies directly to find out as some may not insure a non-resident. I don't see any issue adding whatever named drivers that you want, other than possible extra cost.

Have you done the sums OP? By the time you pay VRT, VAT, NCT, Insurance, etc, it could end up being a very expensive way to have a car lying up here for occasional use.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

No! Ireland won’t register a car to a non-resident and you would find it impossible to tax. Irrespective, as you are not moving back to Ireland, if you did falsely claim to live in Ireland to get it registered, I doubt you would be able to produce all the evidence you need to get Transfer of Residence relief meaning that you would have to pay VRT, VAT and potentially duty. I lived in the U.K. for 20 years and that was the result of my research. In my case I had two cars and alternated the one I left in Ireland for about 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

OP, during VRT process you will be asked for your PPS number and proof of address - so most likely you can't do that as non-resident.

You can pretty much forget about "transfer of residence" vrt exemption, as you're not moving residence.

And even if you managed to get it registered and taxed in your name, you will have trouble insuring the car as non-resident.

What you can do though, is to get your father to have it vrted and registered in his name.

Then he can tax and insure that car, and add you add a named driver.

And provided he'll be the main user of the car (whatever it means), then you can use it when back home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Buffman

OP, as you're remaining a UK resident there might be a far simpler and cheaper way to have your car here on UK plates.

Now you'd possibly have to sort out a 2nd suitable UK insurance policy, get revenues permission for your father to drive the car if that's a deal breaker, and return the car to the UK once every 12 months which you'd presumably have to do anyway to get an MOT.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I have a pps number and can use home address, no issue there. I cant vrt it if it in father's name as would be "selling" it to him if I did that and I'd have to pay about 11k in taxes..

So bottom line. I couldn't tax or insure it in my own name in Ireland as I'm not currently resident?

And keeping it on UK plates in Ireland, the father couldn't legally drive it as he would be an Irish resident so no scenario allows that.

Post edited by whomitconcerns on

Advertisement