Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing herbs with young kids

Options
  • 05-03-2023 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Tried searching ( via mobile) and it was terrible trying to find previous posts on advice for growing herbs, apologies if this is a repeat ask !

I am looking to inspire the kids by growing herbs and looking for advice please?

Bought some propogatar trays in Lidl , and some seeds ( pic attached)

With the Cold snap due next week and fact I need to get soil/compost I am holding off.

Are these seeds any good?

Any advice where to buy better ones

Best place for compost/soil and type?

Have heard supermarkets spray herb pots to prevent growth, but was wondering if any nurseries sell developed plants that I can replant outdoors etc.

Sorry for long post, want to try and capture everything, appreciate any help !

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Great idea to get kids interested in growing plants from seeds. However I would not think herbs generally are the easiest to grow. Of the ones you have chives are about the best bet, parsley is slow to germinate and I would not describe thyme as an annual? All of the are a bit undramatic for kids.

For edible plants radishes are quick and easy to grow. For a bit more drama I would suggest sunflowers, marigolds and nasturtiums. All will have colourful and showy flowers, all are to some extent edible - you can put marigold petals and bits of nasturtium leaves and flowers into a salad, sunflower seeds are edible but probably more fun to feed the birds.

Lidl seeds are fine, they are cheaper because they are very 'generic' seeds so you are not going to get fancy varieties, but that is an advantage for your purpose, they will be easier.

Any bag or seed and potting compost will do the job for you, don't keep it soggy but don't let it dry out either. You need a bright or sunny window ledge to get them started, then 'prick them out' (separate into individual plants) once they have leaves more than the two initial seed leaves. Don't try and plant out every single seedling, choose the best 12 to 20, or even just 6 sunflowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Thanks very much for your advice 👍

Radishes, I love !

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

Mint, lemon balm will be very easy and you can do many herbs from cuttings or splitting. Just don’t plant mint in border as it will take over, keep in pots or separate raised bed.

In terms of compost Im trying organic from living green due to many good reviews, bit more pricey but worth it, it actually is compost as opposed to “growing medium” that others sells full of chemical fertilisers to add some nutrients.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I will add that my grandchildren love growing peas. A favourite phrase is "I'm going out to the garden for a pea"! May be more desirable than herbs and so easy to grow.

Cucumber and cherry tomatoes are favourites also but you really need a green house. Chives and scallions are quick but they may not like them. Mix flowers and vegetables for a pretty garden.

Thanks for this @ttnov77 , I appreciate it. So I guess I'm good to just split a flowered herb pot into another and it should take ?

• Advertisement

Thanks @wildwillow 👍

Advertisement