Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EV Newbie- charging

• 05-03-2023 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

Hi there. We got or Kia EV6 gt-line a few days ago. Waiting on home charger to be installed (approx 2-3 weeks)

So far we've been using fast chargers . Went to applegreen today and used one of their 180 kw chargers. I was only getting 56kw charging speed..should I be getting more?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Make sure you set the fast charger as your destination in your navigation on the car. The car will then preheat the battery in colder weather(Preconditioning) and you will see faster times. It needs about 40kms to preheat so you will need to drive for a bit.

You should see speeds more like 125 then.

In summer Preconditioning shouldn't be necessary and you will get faster charging anyway.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Thanks Tommy.. will give that a go next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What state of charge was the car at when you started the session?

you don’t get high rates at high SoC

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It depends on your state of charge, battery temp etc

Very few achieve the higher rates, other than tesla consistently, for example, Model 3 hit 248kw today I seen.

But i will ask, why are you using Fast Chargers while waiting on your Home Charger? Use the granny Cable, it will be half the price.

Doesn't have the 3 pin lead with it..should it? It's an ex demo so I wonder was it taken out. Also I think there should be a v2l connector but no sign of that either

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Should have it unless Kia screw their customers and don’t give it on the EV6?

I deffo got them and a type 2 cable with the eNiros’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

They should certainly supply the 3-pin charger. Not sure about the V2l! I'd ring them and kick up a stink query it.

Sales man text me to say. The v2l must have been misplaced(they'll supply another) but the 3 pin cable has been discontinued due to kia saying its a potential fire hazard?? Anyone else heard this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

It sounds like a bit of a cop out! Problem may be that many people use them with an extension lead stuck out the window that might not handle in excess of 2kw. But the charger itself should have no problem if plugged directly into a modern good quality socket. Both the charger and the car can be set to reduced current if overheating is an issue. I used to use mine with a crappy old extension lead and it was fine at 6 or even 8 amps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Well that's nonsense. I picked up my brand new EV6 in January and it came with: Granny cable, regular type 2 cable and the VTL so you should be supplied all of them.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭eltoastero

Utter nonsense (regarding the fire hazard - otherwise we all should have been contacted for a replacement).

Buying new I would expect the 3 pin to be included (as it's part of the product spec sheet), but buying ex-demo you're buying a "used" car so the seller can omit something from the sale (unless they explicitly told you it was included). Bit scabby of them to remove it intentionally though.

regarding your charging, as others have said, it's likely a combination of battery % being too high, or battery temperature being too low or the applegreen chargers not supplying the rated 180kW (see the applegreen thread on boards). Best bet (to check max charging power) would be to hit an IONITY charger on a warm day with about 20% SoC - it might start at 120kW or so but it should jump to 170kW then 220kW (ish) as the battery warms.

Do you mind answering how much an ex-demo EV6 GT-Line set you back (assuming a year old)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Where are you based, if you want a loan of a charger until you get your proper one installed I have a spare.

Better than spending on the high fast charger rates.

Appreciate that greatly.. very generous of you but we'll manage till home charger goes in. Thanks a million

Advertisement