Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

219 bus service CIT to Ringmahon

• 05-03-2023 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Does anyone know how busy the 219 bus from CIT to Mahon Point is first thing in the morning and also what is the service like as in, is it reliable? Many thanks.

Best Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭BagofWeed

Reliable and buses are a word combination never heard with regard to Cork's bus network. I've never heard anything positive about the 219 but the capacity depends really on what stop you will using. If you're fit or close enough get a bicycle or scooter, it'll be better for your mental health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭notAMember

That route is jammed, and because everyone has to queue and slowly swipe on past the driver, it's often late. Whatever time you need to be in mahon for, give yourself a couple of buses time extra to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

As mentioned the 219 follows very congested roads and so is often caught up in traffic. It also runs only 1 per hour frequency so it quickly gets behind when stuck in traffic.

Useful route but the low frequency and congested roads it runs on takes away the reliability big time.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

BagofWeed thanks. Im looking to get from Douglas village to City gate for 7am, 8am, and 9am shifts. 219 is the only bus service from Douglas and it's every hour. 7am shift is out of the question as the first bus is at 7.37am which just scrapes in to Citygate at 7.54am and then we have to allow for traffic so 8am is not ideal either. And for the 9am shift I'd have to get the earlier bus and just read a book before I start work.

Now, I guess I could cycle but haven't been on a bike in years and there's a lot more traffic around now so this makes me very nervous! I have no bother walking home, I walk a lot anyway but dont want to walk in to work. This is for a job I haven't got but must let them know tomorrow if interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Personally I'd cycle it, noting the road isn't great for cyclists. It's probably 15 minutes on a bike from Douglas to Mahon and it's going to be reliable at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rosalinda Eyes

Could you not get any bus going through Douglas to belair junction, and then get the 215 from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Yes, I did think of getting down to Finbarrs Hospital and then getting the 215 but trying to avoid 2 buses.. I trialed the bus route yesterday and got the 219 at 7.30am (5 mins early), which got me to Citygate for 8am and I walked back to Douglas which took me 35 mins. The bus was half full, hardly any traffic and I asked someone what the service is usually like, she said it's very good.

Advertisement