Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric car rental on holiday

• 05-03-2023 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

Recently booked a car for a summer holiday, it was cheaper to go with ufo drive than any of the local companies, by about 500 euro (for the same size car), excluding the cost of fuel. UFO include free charging.

I drive an electric car day-to-day, but this will be the first time in a rental in Europe.

First time using UFO as well.

Anyone used them in Europe? Assuming it is the same mess there with various charging networks? I think UFO has their app working with most/all of the big ones.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭zg3409

What country, going where to where?

Can you charge at accomodation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Keeping it vague.

Flying into Vienna, heading east ~400km

Have power at destination, just a regular plug.

Looks like a few tesla superchargers on the way, and various other chargers near the destination.

Not going to do much driving when we get there, so should be fine I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Which EV is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The Ufo model of providing you with a way to charge and having that as part of the package is class. Their prices are also quite reasonable expecially when you include the fact that thats your total cost of hire and fuel isnt extra.

I was looking at eVs at other "regular" rental companies yesterday and most want you to sign up for a charging app, pay for the charges yourself . Maybe an EV driver is all clued up and has a half dozen apps and cards ready to use and can cater for any class of unexpected cr@p that the charging networks throw at you.

The rest of us (90%+ of motorists) dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Sounds like you're getting a Tesla, in which case you've got nothing to worry about

Here's a thread about one boardsie driving to Romania in a Model 3, no worries at all going either way

If you're in a non Tesla then it'll require a slightly higher bit of work, but if you can use a high quality network like Ionity then you should be grand

The general consensus is that it's easier to drive an EV from Dublin to the Eastern border of Romania than to the west coast of Ireland

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Only Model 3's available at the airport.

Looks like it will be a breeze.

Looking forward to the road trip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Enjoy Colm!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I've only used them here in Ireland and the experience was excellent. The cars here had an ecars card and Tesla account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Recently back from trip to Germany. Used UFO Drive from the airport - was cheaper than some of the other rental agencies, the process was handy and the drive was grand.

I got upgraded from a Model 3 SR+ to LR AWD. (it was still a pre-chrome delete model, not sure of the year). The sound system is a good bit nicer than the SR+ (I'm not a big audiophile, so didn't think I'd notice, but I did).

Charging was a piece of cake - Superchargers everywhere along the route and a plugsurfing card for other location.

Best of all was haring up to 150-180km/h to overtake someone on the Autobahn stretches where there was no speed limit. (it eats range doing that, but totally worth it 😁)

Advertisement