Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for €10 congestion charge, parking increases of 400% and a 20kmh reduction in speed limits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

Ok lets compare like with like. A passenger in a car with a passenger on a bus/train. No parking necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

less cars on the road will greatly help our senior citizens. there were 41 pedestrians killed last year by motorists and i remember many of them being older people. last month a woman in her 80s was killed in a hit and run and it barely made the news.

less cars would make it easier for old people to walk around in their own time. and remember we're talking about urban areas here where most people have a shop within easy walking distance.

Chances are that none of the measures being considered will prevent or hinder the person driving 2km to the shop for milk or the paper etc. If they lived on the edge of the congestion charge zone and the shop was inside they could avoid the charge by driving to a different shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

You've deliberately misrepresented the point. People cannot get from the regional town to the city without a car, and so are subjected to taxes which they cannot avoid.

You're also deliberately lumping people who choose to build 5,000sqft mansions on the top of the hill, with average people who live in large regional towns, who often can't afford to live in the city, but who still don't have anything close to adequate public transport.

Regional towns, and even small country towns have been decimated by out-of-town one-off housing, facilitated by decades of terrible planning policy, and now don't have population concentrations that can support profitable public transport. And your response - blame it on the individual again, nothing to do with government.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

It also makes city centre safer for families, trying to walk around Dublin City Centre now is a disaster with cars/motorbikes/etc all flying in every direction trying to beat the traffic....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You see Eamon Ryan and his ilk believe if we implement all these recommendations that there will be no cars on the road and everyone will be using the brilliant public transport we have lol.

When has Ryan and his ilk ever said that they are trying to remove all cars? You've dreamed this up but if having a moan about Ryan makes you feel better then work away.

As for the brilliant public transport, to be fair, there have been more positive changes in terms of public transport in the last number of years that there has been in the past number of decades (reduced prices, more vehicles, more orbital routes, 24/7 service along some rouotes, etc.). Plus there are more improvements to come.

That's the problem with Ryan and co they are pure dreamers and don't actually understand the real world.

What do you mean by "the real world"? Do you mean "your world"?

None of these recommendations will be implemented until we have a proper transport system in our cities and guess what that's about 50 years away.

You see, they're not recommendations. They are options for discussion. None of this is currently a live plan. If you read up on what was being discussed, you'd know that! As for a "proper transport system" this is what they are trying to introduce but when most road space in cities is allocated to the least efficient userbase, then how can you improve public transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bannedboyband

It's only a matter of time before he gets his wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's the exact kind of trip that they want to eliminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭creedp

Thats not the Irish way, instead identify a problem that doesn't conform to the latest populist agenda, consider it too difficult to solve so instead blame the ordinary public and either close down/ban the irratating issue or introduce punative charges or taxes to make a few easy bob off already under pressure population.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭daheff

sorry but you are talking nonsense here.

do you genuinely think everybody in the car is just doing it because they are lazy gits who don't care about anybody else than themselves? These measures will target people who have very little other choices to get to/from work.

Targeting those journeys that can easily be made by alternative means? So you mean by public transport? Have you tried public transport lately? Its in an even worse state than before covid.

what will they do if they bring in these measures and theres little to no shift to public transport because people don't have options? What will they do if people realise its not worth their while anymore because of the extra taxes they pay or that they can't make the times work using the magical public transport system?

I'm all for promoting being more environmentally friendly and using shared infrastructure. The problem is we don't have this. We're way behind where we need to be. Most bus routes still go to city centre and you need to change to come out somewhere else. So do train lines. We need orbital routes as well (sure wasn't that part of the reason for the M50 being built). We need dramatically more frequent and flexible public transport. not threats to tax people more because they have no other choices.

• Advertisement

Again, "Eamonn Ryan and his ilk" need to have a majority to get any proposal approved. Plus as the actual article says this is just a proposal, like thousands that happen every year with the majority left on the scrap heap.

FYI Eamonn Ryan the majority of times cycles into the Dail and others.

I do agree parking spots should be stopped but I can't wait till you tell the boys from Kerry in their diesel cars

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

What would help road safety is if the 187,803 uninsured drivers on Irish roads being put off the road until they pay for car insurance... another one is the fact that 5,000 unaccompanied learner drivers were caught on the roads and i'm sure that's the tip of the iceberg... The 6 month waiting list for an NCT test leaving thousands of potentially dangerous cars out there now on our roads...

It's amazing to see people on here salivating at the thoughts of putting otherwise abled elderly and less affulent people out of their vehicles and onto a not fit for purpose and sometimes non-existent public transport system...

Laughable!.. Remember when he was the "boyo from Dublin" driving his car across the country just to cycle his bike? Why didn't he get the train...

Also you ignore the fact that as a TD his hours aren't that of a regular citizen who may have to work shifts finishing at 2am... Also his Garda protection officer has to drive his car to Ranelagh to make the 10 mins cycle in with your beloved Eamonn...

Thats a totally different conversation, which I agree we need to resolved the uninsured

You are gone off on a tangent about old people and in reality if old people need access to cars etc they can implement a system for retired people.

Also the number of people you are talking about is small so can be catered for as I already said

Well you're bringing up old people for some reason, I don't know why they'd be worried about congestion charges given they aren't commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

So the point here is that you can't just Tax people out of their cars... hope you understand that?

I get that but I was trying to ease the worries of those that are worried about the pensioner who ran out of milk. It's also the type of journey that public transport will never be able to compete with so perhaps they should focus on trying to eliminate other journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

Congestion charges and the likes are not bad ideas by themselves, from a personal point of view I wouldn't mind forgoing using my car in the city in most instances.

But our public transport would want to improve dramatically. And seeing as we seem to be particularly bad for a developed country at providing public infrastructure, the inevitable conclusion of this would be people having to choose between insanely long commute times or exorbitant travel fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I have no issue with people who travel long distances to work, if they do not have another option such as a park and ride. The better option would be to find and charge people who drive around the corner to the shop to pick up a can of coke, people driving 500M to drop their kids to school and so on.

Not sure how this would be accomplished though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭letsbefair

Only very rich people will have cars, it’s just so right wing

Dublin in and around the canals/Dodder, especially South Dublin has a large elderly population, if there's a €10 charge to cross the canals that will affect them, so could mean that getting to a Doctors appointment, visiting family, getting to a supermarket that's much cheaper for a limited income senior citizen becomes a lot more expensive..

I would say that people who fully support taxing people out of their cars are younger, able bodied and in well paid jobs that fail to see others points of view..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Laughable!.. Remember when he was the "boyo from Dublin" driving his car across the country just to cycle his bike? Why didn't he get the train...

When and where was this?

Also you ignore the fact that as a TD his hours aren't that of a regular citizen who may have to work shifts finishing at 2am... Also his Garda protection officer has to drive his car to Ranelagh to make the 10 mins cycle in with your beloved Eamonn...

To my knowledge, if he has gardai accompanying him, they cycle with him. But what has how the gardai travel to a location got to do with Ryan?

FFS, some people are obsessed with the Ryan. It really isn't healthy!

Oh give me a break. How many invalid old people living in that area are required to drive anywhere regularly? Make-believe.

Well I've never owned a car and I'm pretty happy about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

It's the green wet dream for us all to be living in cities with no cars and using public transport ! You should know that is the ultimate green aim because everyone else does.

Road infrastructure has improved ( thanks to zee Germans ) but our public transport is a crock of **** you can't get a bus or train to Kilkenny or numerous other towns from Dublin past 9pm FFS. TD on the radio this morning saying that if you miss your bus from Newcastle in Dublin at 7.30am there is not another one till 9am. No wonder people drive. Maybe er should do his job and concentrate on improving these services instead of ridiculous suggestions and another talking shop that will go know where. More regular buses trains , 24 hour services, make travel as cheap as possible - theres some simple suggestions. Er is too busy trying to save the world instead of doing his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

I know it's a proposal and as I said it will go nowhere. The Kerry lads should fly up they would only have to do it a few thousand times to achieve the same carbon foot print as ER did with his junket to Egypt to save the world.

you make it sound like living in cities with no cars and using public transport is a bad thing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

They're going to electrify that line and have new rolling stock, so the frequency will increase. To the point that some level crossings will become nearly unusable for motorists at rush hour, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

its shiite craic really it is

public transport is only setup for trips in an out of town, anything else is rubbish, if you don't live somewhere with a decent bus lane, it takes ages, rush hour forget about it

thats why its full of OAPS (free) and youths

If you want a respiratory virus, takes the bus on a pisssing went day

I've cycled and taken the bus much more than you have and this is from an experienced hardy cutter

Advertisement