Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for €10 congestion charge, parking increases of 400% and a 20kmh reduction in speed limits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

well it sounds like city living isn't for you if public transport is that difficult for you and you're worried about diseases in crowded places

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Whatever floats your boat but living like sardines in a concrete jungle ain't my cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Ryan oh my god. All this sh1te about climate change. Lets be real about this even if Ireland cut emissions to zero the globe will hardly feel it. Until the likes of China and the U.S start taking the lead we are going to see climate change regardless of what this country does. So why the hell are these people dictating our policy with out a viable alternative and stating that if we dont the earth will die. What we do will make zero difference. We should send Ryan to live in China and tell him to start dictating over there.. There is a very limited amount of public transport that is concentrated on a very small area of the actual country. Why not ramp up grants of up to 50% of the price on electric cars and the appropriate infrastructure? Why not have more trams, trains and buses put on from all counties that are interconnected. There needs to be some joined up thinking with this regards as all it is doing is punishing the bog standard person for trying to go to work or get to places that have no viable alternative to get there unless they can stick 2 features up their hole and fly. Give us the alternative Mr Ryan before robbing our pockets again and while you at it get rid of all parking spots for all of the public service first.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I can't imagine there is much demand for a bus to go from Dublin to Kilkenny after 9PM. It seems like a journey that someone would take pretty infrequently. Regardless, both Dublin Coach and JJ Kavanagh go to Kilkenny after 9PM. The 68 goes from Newcastle to Dublin at 7.45, 8.15 and 9.00.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Am I missing something, it clearly shows "07:45 08:15a 09:00v"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭beachhead

And they will come back with more seats at the next general election.The 18-40s love them together with Montenotte and D4 mob.

The proposals are hairbrained.Set by people who live on different planet,a parallel universe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yep, the biggest con going- because of climate change we have to create even more taxes for you - I’m sick of this sustainability lark that politicians hide behind when they haven’t done the job they were elected to do which in this case has been better public transport for all - if they want Sinn Fein in government next election they’re going the right way about it that’s for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

Not till 2029 though. When it was first announced in August 2020 this is what they said "Construction is expected to commence in early 2022 with completion expected in late 2024"...

Yes. Read the route variations for the a beside the 08:15. It clearly shows that it doesn't serve Newcastle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Small towns have been decimated by loss of agricultural jobs and a general move to cities for work. Urbanisation. One off planning while a blight, is neither here in the migration of people from the rural areas to the cities, which is a global issue.

Cities can't cope with traffic of people who want to have one foot in the city and the other back some rural village. There too much traffic, and these people are traffic. They aren't trying to be close to bus routes or train lines. The Govt didn't make them chose that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

1.6km from bounds of Portmarnock

2.9km from bounds of Malahide

I'd consider that a few.

Multiple new estates being constructed without any clear or obvious plan to improve connectivity.

I've been living in the area near ten years. If neighborhoods like this can't be integrated for pedestrian access, safe cycle routes and school bus routes then there's feck all hope for most of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

A whole thread to moan about TD's flying to represent the people of Ireland....

You do realise most cities in the World have a huge population who never have and never will own a car.

So you have forgot about the poor old people you got so worried about and now you just don't want to get taxed out of a car?

Afraid to tell you but did you ever see how much tax the government is currently making from you owning a car?

Do you think it realistic there will be cycle paths and footpaths to "everywhere" in the country.

My cycle commute is 14k and sections of that are on the road.

You'd be surprised how much demand there would be for it.

I have family living in Kilkenny who often come up to Dublin in the evening for events, gigs, and theatre but it involves either staying in Dublin overnight or driving home after they finish, which also means either not being able to have a drink, or having a designated driver.

But that was the TDs point. There isn't another 68 to take to meet up with the luas or another bus. Its either 7:45 or 9:00

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ehh one of the posters here shouting about the greens making irreversible changes whilst in government doesn't even currently live in the country.

Maybe if they had to live in a town elsewhere in the country, and then commute to work in Dublin it might soften their cough a bit.

Every time it is mentioned about poor public transport outside of the centre of Dublin and defined corridors into it (along Luas lines or Dart lines) we get the shyte thrown out about one off housing.

What happens if you couldn't afford to buy a family home in Dublin, but bought in village or even town in the likes of Kildare, Wicklow, Wesford, Meath, Louth, but you still have work in Dublin?

What are you meant to do?

Drive, train, bus and walk for a couple of hours to eventually get to your place of work.

Wasn't there a movie along the same lines staring John Candy. 🙄

Ah but shure I forgot the cycle bit, must have a bit of cyling in there to keep the carrot munchers happy.

Hell their idea of the carrot and the stick approach is to bate the shyte out of you with the stick whilst they munch on some nice organic carrots.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Hard to have a debate with someone who's never seen the argument from both sides...

Guarantee you if your work involved late shifts and you lived in somewhere like Dunshaughlin and worked in a city centre workplace you'd soon change your tune...

When you use apps (like Google Maps) it shows other times for the 68. I dunno if thats a different bus or ask the apps are using a different timetable perhaps obsolete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've little interest in arguing for something I never said.

If someone is on late shifts would they not avoid peak times and be opposite the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

What is with this green agenda and self flagellation, it doesn’t sit well with me. It’s headless chicken stuff at this stage.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's the green wet dream for us all to be living in cities with no cars and using public transport ! You should know that is the ultimate green aim because everyone else does.

Can you show me where this is in their manifesto or any official green party document? I'd be fairly confident that it is not there because they've even confirmed that is not their plan. You're just making up bullsh1t because it's easy to throw out stuff like that!

Road infrastructure has improved ( thanks to zee Germans ) but our public transport is a crock of ****

Road infrastructure improved because public policy at the time favoured that approach. Now we've too many car owners wanting to drive inside our cities and there isn't room.

At the same time, public policy was never to favour public transport until recently. That's why it was allowed for.

you can't get a bus or train to Kilkenny or numerous other towns from Dublin past 9pm FFS. TD on the radio this morning saying that if you miss your bus from Newcastle in Dublin at 7.30am there is not another one till 9am.

A quick look at it is 07:52 and then 09:07 with the #68 bus. However, that area hadn't yet been dealt with by BusConnects and when it has it will have services to Dublin, Tallaght & the Red Cow Luas (via Clondalkin)

As for Kilkenny, there are options late at night to get from Dublin to Kilkenny according to TFI. You also have various private operators who do the route.

No wonder people drive.

People drive because it has been made easy to and more inconvenient to get PT but thankfully it is changing despite resistance from some.

Maybe er should do his job and concentrate on improving these services instead of ridiculous suggestions and another talking shop that will go know where. More regular buses trains , 24 hour services, make travel as cheap as possible - theres some simple suggestions.

He is doing his job. You just seem to think he should be doing a job that suits your needs only.

Er is too busy trying to save the world instead of doing his job.

What an utterly stupid comment!

You don't need to worry about this mr farmer man it's to do with congestions in cities, begorrah. Go out and set fire to some hills!

Jasus I'm barely gone a year and you always come out with that crap.

Anyway you'll be delighted to know I'll be home next month xx.

For you maybe, for many their lives would be far more pleasant with better public transport and more restrictions on cars. Cars ruin cities.

Let's phrase it a different way. What metric , number of people, distance from something, does a footpath or cycle path become viable.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Actually, who was the TD because I'd be curious as to their stance on BusConnects and whether they helped delay public transport improvements in the Newcastle area?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Yep if such alternatives existed. They don’t, so banning this, restricting that, with no viable alternatives as I said headless chicken stuff. Greens is right, green as the grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

just to put some perspective on this. Even with our current behavior and reliance on the car did a complete 180 and no one drove a car from now onwards we are not going to make a difference globally and we are slowly turning to electric vehicles if these were less expensive and we had much better public transport people would use it more. However look at the bellow list Ireland is in the happeny place when it comes to CO2. The rest of the world outside of the top 5 here could be carbon neutral and the globe is still going to hell in a handbag. Ryaners efforts should be on going to China, be great to see him telling them to cycle everywhere and tax tax tax if they dont.

Top 10 polluters

However, most of this pollution comes from just a few countries: China, for example, generates around 30% of all global emissions, while the United States is responsible for almost 14%.In the ranking below you can find the 10 countries that produce the most emissions, measured in millions of tons of CO2 in 2019.

1. China, with more than 10,065 million tons of CO2 released.
    2. United States, with 5,416 million tons of CO2
    3. India, with 2,654 million tons of CO2
    4. Russia, with 1,711 million tons of CO2
    5. Japan, 1,162 million tons of CO2
    6. Germany, 759 million tons of CO2
    7. Iran, 720 million tons of CO2
    8. South Korea, 659 million tons of CO2
    9. Saudi Arabia, 621 million tons of CO2
    10. Indonesia, 615 million tons of CO2

https://climatetrade.com/which-countries-are-the-worlds-biggest-carbon-polluters/

Ireland = 61.5Milllion

https://www.epa.ie/news-releases/news-releases-2022/epa-data-shows-irelands-2021-greenhouse-gas-emissions-above-pre-covid-levels.php

Advertisement