Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifespan of fibre cement slates

Options
  • 06-03-2023 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭

I've just bought a dormer bungalow and considering my options to improve insulation upstairs.

The roof is fibre-cement slates and 43 years old.

I'm trying to get an idea of when it might need recovering as I think that could be the time to move to a warm roof solution.

It's a gable roof with an outward flare. On the north side of the outward flare I see some slates have cracked but that may be due to being stood on.

I can't see any cracked slates on the southward side but I do see some slates are lifting slightly.

I appreciate it's hard to estimate without seeing the roof but I wonder if I could get some ball-park ideas. When pressed the surveying engineer estimated it would need re-roofing within 10 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Could they contain asbestos?

It'll mean removing them and disposing of them would be a bit more costly and awkward.. not the end of the world though ,

I always thought they were good until they started getting brittle and cracking ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I don't think they do, certainly the engineer didn't call it out and he seemed pretty on the ball.

What would be the signs that these slates are coming to end of life?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭grimeire

They usually say 30 years structural but I seen them last much longer in real life. It's not the slates you usually have to worry about it's the nails and cramp pins they usually detoriate before the slates.

These are the slates I usually use. They are cheaper and better quality IMHO than the other major brand you find here .

https://www.cembrit.ie/roofing/fibre-cement-slates/berona

Advertisement