Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Good man.. funnel them all back and only engage when the opposition cross your own 45.

Can be effective Im told….

• Registered Users Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭megadodge

A perfect example of an utterly idiotic post!

Maybe we should stop the players running too, to give the opposition a chance to catch up with them?

Or maybe when you receive the ball, hold it out on whatever side the opposition is on and let him thump it out of your hands. Of course, he'll then be obliged to do the same thing when he gathers the ball, and then you, and then him.....

This thread is even worse than pubtalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Was it yeah? I played gaelic football for years, I want to see it thrive but I don't like how it is played these days, most games are a really hard watch.

I see Lee Keegan (one of the best footballers from the last 30 years) agrees with me.

https://extra.ie/2023/03/23/sport/gaa/lee-keegan-fears-safety-first-league

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That was a great stat he came up with, Mayo have scored 25% of the goals in the Division. Here's my stat, they scored 44.44% of those goals in one game. Their goal tally in six games 0,1,1,1,2,4. A real goal machine indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Football is too much like basketball these days. We need to forbid players going back after they enter the opponents half and also introduce a shot clock. Put the goals on top of the goal posts while we are at it sure

• Advertisement

Calm down, my friend, are you perfectly happy with how Gaelic Football is played these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Are you saying that 9 goals in 6 games is not a lot? It doesn't matter if 4 goals are scored in one game, 9 goals in 6 games is a very good return of goals. Teams are not going to score a large ration of goals in every game. He provided a relevant statistic over a period of time i.e. the duration of the national league to date. You're jut providing a statistic of one point in time i.e. the amount of goals in the Tyrone match. That type of statistic is useless, as it does not provide details of any type of pattern.

It's not enough outside the average to be worthwhile selecting as a stat. And the number of goals is not a reliable pointer to League position. Last year Mayo had 6 goals from 7 games, Monaghan who finished below them had 7 goals.

Also this year Mayo's 4 wins is bettered by 5 other counties, and matched by 5 more. If they had scored one more point against Galway and Armagh, that would have been more significant to their success, than the 4 goals against Tyrone.

Let’s get back on topic.

Are you happy with the way Gaelic Football is being played today?

I'm still analyzing that Lee Keegan article. I think it is only right to give it due consideration, seeing that it has been introduced into the discussion.

• Advertisement

Yes I am.

I attend games on a very regular basis and the only thing I'm unhappy with is the one or two morons shouting "kick the f*ckin ball, will ya" simply because they're following some clueless narrative from the local pub.

Another clown recently kept shouting "will ha hit him will ya" every time one of the opposition had the ball. Thankfully our team only obliged him once and ended up giving away an utterly pointless free in scorable range.

I wouldn't be surprised if both those idiots were lurking here.

Well done, well done…

Excellent game between Galway and Kerry today….. very watchable.

Credit where credit is due.

Apart from all the time wasting in the end by Galway.

Hmmmm up to Kerry to challenge them then?

I think it was only basically in injury time where they went into handpass mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

True, you never see Kerry time wasting during games when they’re winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The debate has a wider scope than just that. It’s in fact not a dull borefest, the opposite.

go down the list of all Ireland finals. The number of scores these days is multiples in some cases of what you’d get years ago. So how is that more boring…? It’s not.

faster, more skillful, more exciting passages of play, more points, more goals, more ingenuity and creativity…. Far better ‘watch’.

far better skillsets, athletes and tactics on the field and sideline.

problem is as was always going to happen… the gap between the really good teams and the rest of the chasing pack has widened considerably.

THAT is the problem a lot of people have….but what to do about it ? Nothing ! It’s competitive sport….the onus is on those behind to catch the leaders, not for the association to nobble the leaders….

there seems to be a want to hoof it up Hail Mary style, which to me isn’t anything accurate or accomplished..

the game has evolved through smarter people being involved… mind the ball, be patient, encompass professional levels of fitness that’s measured by sports doctors etc….the game has never been faster.

yet, some people decry this.

football isn’t muck, more scores, more vision, multiples faster, more fluid tactics, more clever players…

people want it more competitive ? Catch up, don’t bring down.

evolving tactics have been a facet of every sport, cricket now, even tests are unrecognisable to what they were in the 80’ & ‘90’s

its less competitive too, but the onus is on those playing catchup to adapt and overcome… not for the taking down of anyone.

equalising has to happen by the virtue of the opponent being as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Treble double

Cahir O'Kanes article "Sports Science has ruined sport" hits the nail firmly on the head. Every team ball sport is unwatchable now.

Really? Soccer isn't unwatchable, or basketball even Rugby.

Erra they are, you are only blinded by the hype generated around professional sport to create revenue

• Advertisement

Thanks for telling me how I feel about things. If I didnt enjoy those sports, I wouldn't watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

While football us generally very hard to watch ,what do players playing get much enjoyment of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

I'd be on the " football is utter sh1t today " side . My own club are an embarrassment with the way crawl up the field, passing backwards at every opportunity. Two things I used to love with football was a man running and rounding a defender and long speculative balls into the square, both are only a memory in my club for some bizarre reasons. Who's to blame, well its got to be the players. Any decent outfit would tell a coach to fxck off if they didn't agree with this tactics

hopefully some coach with a full baallsac will blow a hole in this possession football stuff.

Who is brave enough?

What a great idea !!!!

Instead of giving the ball to a teammate - give the ball to the opposition !!!

I can't believe nobody thought of this before !!!

OK smartass answer me this . A team are losing a match by 3 points and having played the total puke possession game for 67 minutes realise that they're on the way out of the championship. Then the miraculous transformation takes place, they now realising that they need a few scores in a hurry give up on their long loved possession game and start kicking the ball in to the danger area . So answer me this, why is it the right type of game now but wasn't for 67 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

No offside line but the game is played like it has an offside line.

I'm hoping that a brave coach with original thinking can come up with a game plan that involves kicking long and often into well populated attacking half of the pitch. There is a lack of original thinking in Gaa coaching and it is very much copycat stuff. McGuinness was the last man to come up with a very different way of playing, maybe he can be the man again and come up with a gameplan that involves swamping the attacking half of the pitch instead the defensive half.

• Advertisement

No, my friend, prevent the opposition from giving the ball to their teammates.

Whats your challenge I’d like to know?

Advertisement