Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Kicking long balls in beyond the 45 has fallen out of fashion because it has a lower success rate. It's harder to execute, easier to defend and leads to more uncertainty. Literally hit & hope, for the most part. Any intercounty team that starts using this as a tactic is asking for trouble....Sure it looks better when it comes off and is more entertaining, but two or three attacks on the bounce that don't go your way will negate all that. If your opponent hand passes the ball up the pitch and scores three points during that time, you're now down a goal. It's unsustainable, and the primary reason why you don't see it any more is because it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Treble double

Yes you are right, but we are starting to see teams like Derry flood players into the attacking half of the field like against Kerry where McKaigue was alone in his own half on Clifford, this led to more exciting fare than what went before and hopefully it will seep down to the club game, but it takes brave innovative coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭megadodge

Who said it's the right type of game?

That's called 'hit and hope', with a huge emphasis on the 'hope'.

It doesn't work the vast majority of the time. That's why teams don't do it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The absolute scour between Trillick and Crossmaglen is symptomatic of what is wrong with modern football. Dour Ulster football with low scoring, hand passing around the middle, possession above everything. Unwatchable. Turned over to the rugby. Doubt I’m the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Should really try to show hurling matches more often of a Saturday evening. Club football is mostly (the odd exception) brutal.

That game tonight is just two teams focused on cancelling each other out not on actually attacking and trying to win the game. It is a poor spectacle, not as bad as last weeks turkey shoot because it is competitive, but very low quality with the exception of Jamie Clarke and a lovely score fromcl R Donnelly

• Advertisement

They could show a Latin mass and it would be preferable to the nasty, brutish, dour and downright ugly football I spent 15 minutes watching.

Football requires radical surgery at this stage. McGuinness Ball is unwatchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Better second half. Cross seemed to comd out to continue the same arm wrestle as the first half, whereas Trillick have gone for it.

Attacked the kickout, getting men forward, forwards taking on their men instead of taking the easy pass back out the field. They have destroyed Cross so far in this half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Indeed, one score in first 15 mins, but some great play from Trillick in first 20 mims of H2 in particular - it shows how good the game can be when a team pushes up on the kickout, they need to encourage competition from a long kickout if they want to resuscitate the game

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Butson

These club football matches being televised are absolutely dreadful.

The negativity, endless hand passing, pulling and dragging, dirty challenges and of course the mouthing.

Awful sport in its current guise.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Treble double

Thought the Scotstown Kilcoo game provided great entertainment. Kilcoo play that possession game that people hate but was interesting to see how Scotstown pipped them in the end by pressing up hard on them, going direct and good use of the advanced mark. Can't complain about the entertainment provided by two club teams in the early rounds of a provincial championship, what do people expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i actually like all that side of the game , to be fair i watched a leinster final from the 90s last year between meath and offaly and turned it off after 20 minutes it was just so careless , i like the way teams have a strategy and a purpose to there game

today we got turned over by a fantastic cill na martra side in munster who played lovely off the shoulder football but not every team is in the position to play that game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

a perfect example of the modern game was an excellent score before half time by Richard donnelly, with the ball in midfield he dumied to go lateral or backwards 3 times to draw off the crossmaglen defence , they bought it and retreated , leaving a big gap between the 45 and 65 which ritchie ran into and shot from 40 yards out an excellent score before half time last night

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What’s people’s opinion on the as I see it, multiple increases of fouling in the game ?

also I think the standard of refereeing has diminished…

but the game is so much faster, a lot of times multiples more sly fouling / violent conduct especially off the ball. Too much for the referee and linesmen to have a handle on with the speed and dynamism of the games… im not sure eyes in the backs of their heads would be sufficient at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

People wouldn't know unless they are able to watch thousands of games. And analyse how many fouls in each, compared to past times. The standard of refereeing has always been criticised.

It should be easier for referees in the modern game. The ball does not travel long distances as often as it used to with catch and kick. So that gives them the chance to keep up with the play where the ball is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The game needs a proper 'take down' tackle . It ll speed the whole game up. It ll stop the frustration and the basketball around midfield. It ll actually improve behaviour and the spectacle.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Load of rubbish, what spectators want is action, games with goalmouth incidents, attempts tried, some succeed some fail.

They don't want dull repetitive rubbish where kicking a point every 20 minutes is applauded, and passing back and forth is the order of the day.

This analysis bull dust is pure rubbish, get in there and try to score more than the opponent. only anoraks and nerds support the puke game we have been inflicted upon.

Sorry to have to say this but truth must out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Its an amateur game and my own view is that players have no responsibility to spectators beyond those in their own club or county.

The organisation may view it differently, but there have been so many rule changes in recent years.

The underlying issue is that levels of fitness have improved so much. A side related issue maybe is the amount of subs that are allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

It is a tragic spectacle though. A crescent of defenders..the attacking team doing these over and back handpasses ..then a guy on a burst breaks through and immediately passes backwards 8 times out of 10. If there were pods of players all attacking a certain point and off loading before ir after the tackle it could be easily circumvented. And of course the tackle is a joke..

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

There was a previous discussion about a claim that Kerry and Dublin made the fewest handpasses in football. But nobody proved it when I queried it. Now we have someone claiming that there are more fouls now than in some unspecified time in the past. This is the sort of stuff that needs to be tested. Not good enough to make stuff up without proof.

Sorry dude, but if I may say so …thats pure bull dust

People go to watch games to be entertained to see players perform, not to see tactics which stifle and are purely set up to win games.

I’m sorry to have to say this , but these ‘stats’ people are the true killers of our game, who in fuherkes name would go to a boxing match where the proponents circled each other around the ring , threw little punches , just shuffled around for ten or twelve rounds.

My guess this that would kill boxing kinda sharpish.

It might win the fight for one person but sure as hell it wouldn’t attract spectators for any sustained period.

Think about that , my friend.

• Advertisement

It was in response to this stat:

"What’s people’s opinion on the as I see it, multiple increases of fouling in the game ? also I think the standard of refereeing has diminished…"

No harm in looking for proof. Because it is something which can be proved or disproved if someone does the research. It is not a matter of opinion. The other part about the standard of refereeing is not something which can be proved, and is a matter of opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭megadodge

You have some bare-faced cheek to call "bull dust" on somebody.

In your previous post you said "They don't want dull repetitive rubbish where kicking a point every 20 minutes is applauded".

Even an emotive, deluded, misery-guts can figure the maths out on that one, yet can you point to a game that ended 2points to 1 at full-time?

No you can't.

That makes you a liar.

Less of the personals please, I called bull dust on the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,682 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

There is not an increase of fouling at all

Where there’s been a large decrease is ball-in-play time for 2 reasons - a) referees allowing too much time for dead ball situations - the taking of a 45/free/player down injured and b) the mark

Thats factual comparing 2022 and 2023 to 5 years before the mark came in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

How many contributors to this thread or in general those who complain/thrash Gaelic football yet will happily shell out €100’s to go to a ‘saw-ker’ to watch their millionaire superstars and will laud 0-0 draws in ‘Anne’s field’ or the ‘stretford end’ and come back discussing the series of near misses, ‘off side traps’, crosses and of course the ‘atmosphere’ created by tanked up hooligans roaring out Vile chants…?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

Just because soccer is shite doesn't mean we should be happy that gaelic football is now also a shite spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

can you point to where I said we should be happy that Gaelic football…?

You didn't, but you indulged in serious 'whataboutery' which has nothing to do with this thread.

Don't be in denial, it's not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

soccer is $hite? 🤣 soccer is far better to watch than 90% of gaelic football matches these days.

• Advertisement

Bizarre rant.

Going to see Salah fire in a hat trick is going to be preferable to watching Manus Boyle hand pass it back and forth 10 times to Conleth Boyle in midfield as their fat father gesticulates on the sideline.

Football is dying.

Advertisement