Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Treble double

Great first half between Trillick and Scotstown in Armagh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

This is a very enjoyable game.

I think the amount of times both teams are pressuring the kickout makes a huge difference.

Feel for whoever loses this

Thats a soft free at the end there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

The one after the kickout? Yeah, could easily have gone the other way if he left it another second.

The one to put scotstown 2 up. Didnt think there was much in it (maybe closed fist tackle) or the last one on Jack McCarron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Interesting rule change promoted by Colm Parkinson for football. Something akin to what they do in lacrosse.

Definitely better than the rules being trialed around the kick-out and free kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The lacrosse one is so simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtyMqQjkgWI

It's an interesting concept alright that would open up the pitch and revert the game to closer resemble it's structure in the past without tinkering with the fundamental playing rules.

It also could really promote very quick transitions when a turnover is won. Something we don't see a lot of in the modern game.

I wouldn't be in favour of this, smart coaches are starting to pick through mass defences and the game is slowly opening up again. I feel if coaching focused more on improving skillets ie. handling and kicking the overall spectacle will improve. The forward mark is much maligned but I think it has helped enormously and teams are slowly starting to use it as an attacking weapon. Teams that can kick pass accurately in tight spaces into inside forwards are starting to pick apart packed defences. I believe that a higher skill set will be the key to winning games from now on. Shooting, catching, kicking. Introducing this new rule will move the goalposts again for coaches, plus I feel it is a clumsy rule, looking to restrict players to certain parts of the field, I feel it will be clumsy to operate and police.

The skillset of players has never been higher so I don't agree that once skills are further developed that the game will open up more. Generally as the skill levels are gone up in gaelic football throughout the decades the less players/managers are willing to give away the ball cheaply.

I think the proposed rule is worth trialing. Space is what is needed to encourage kick passing, contested area with 15 players behind the ball does not. At least this rule would mean that there is more space for players to kick passes into and more space for players to express themselves.

The proposed zones would be difficult to ref but there are surely learnings from lacrosse to see how it is policed.

As for the offensive mark; it has been terrible for football. Most marks won are for easy passes uncontested into a players chest; there's no skill in that. I doubt that's what the rule makers aimed to encourage when they implemented the rule. It also breaks up the play too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I like the new idea and id even go further, and cut it to 13 players per team if the new rules in that video dont have the desired effect.

I don't think skill levels are what they could be, especially at club level because I believe enough time isn't devoted to them due to time being spent on tactical makeups. What brought it home to me was Crossmaglens game in the Ulster club. They go with a more traditional style and this wasn't their downfall. It was their execution. Jamie Clarke hit an excellent pass into an inside forward taking out a few defenders and the receipent fumbled a chest high catch. Numerous handpasses instead of going to the midriff went to feet leading to more fumbles, overhead catches were fumbled and shooting for scores were very wild. All pointing to lack of time spent on this side of the game. If they had better executed these skills it would have been a different game. I back the forward mark to the hilt because it is encouraging ball to be kicked and it is creating a headache for defenders who now have to go with a man instead of marking space, which opens up space for other forwards, its doing more than it's actually getting credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shockframe

A great days entertainment so far.

Some bad games and some gripping ones.

Who would have thought it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The Munster Final was very good, especially with the awful weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Play all games in fog - half the entertainment is trying to work out who has the ball and the other half is trying to work out who has scored

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Still better than English soccer that Irish people still insist on watching. Watching soccer feels like I'm wasting my life away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

What about darts?……now there’s a real sport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shockframe

A fine series of club games from the provincial finals to today.

All that won't be considered if there is a bad game next week and the cranks will be out in force again.

cranks? 30 players in 1 half isn't football, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Funny enough as I was watching the football there were periods where I was thinking this is very like basketball. I found it kind of boring - there were some great scores but ultimately a mistake by the keeper is all that kept it from being a comfortable Brigids win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Negative people will be negative nothing new.

Was Croke Park for both club finals on Sunday, well worth the 25€ admission fee. Two entertaining games that went to the wire decided on fine margins.

Looking forward to the NFL starting this weekend the best format inter county competition the GAA have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Saw two gaelic games over the weekend. Usually I end up walking away from football games. Couldn't believe the entertainment. Is football back?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,682 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

2 Games is not the sample size you need. There can be many factors to why you enjoyed them (freshness of seeing it back etc.)

Give it a few weeks and decide.

Evolving. More thought been given to attacking mass defences, sharp accurate kicking being used to do this. More emphasis being put on pressing opposition kickouts and opposition players in possession in their own half. Big emphasis on rapid counter attacks after turnovers with pace and direct football, all leading to a better spectacle. Now this applies more to Div 1 and 2 because the lower down you go the less good kickers you have and attack is still based on a web of lateral handpassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Time of writing opening league matches have been played. Even matches where my own county were not involved I found myself drawn in. It has been entertaining.

However, in my view that there are two things that drag football down -

1) The advanced mark - has not been used as intended teams have used it as defensive ploy to take the sting out of games - farcical.

2) Both teams playing defensive cagey stuff - if one team does it in contrast to an opponents gung ho style it is grand. But jayus if the teams play the same defensive style, it means constant handpassing and a big gap in the middle of the pitch as the team not in possession sits way off. It does not draw the neutrals in.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I saw bits of 3 games over the weekend, Monaghan had some nice moves which ended in nice scores, the space in Croke park helps a bit with the blanket defense but what I took away from that game is wouldn't it be great to see that Monaghan forward Hanlon play in game where he didn't have to get past 15 players to get a score.

I dont think the game is back at all, the goalkeepers are still wandering all over the pitch which should be stopped by a rule change and the game is still slow for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭billyhead

Northern teams are ruining it as a spectacle with the keeper playing outfield.

sure all keepers are playing outfield now, it is the GAA who are at fault for not making rule changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Personally I’d have a rule of keeping at least 4 players in each half and no hand passing between the 45s to bring back the kick pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,682 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Enforcing the 4 players in each half is a separate role in itself. I just don't see it happening.

Advertisement