Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lads there's no point arguing with these dudes who won't admit that the way Gaelic football is played these days is by and large boring and uninteresting.

These lads will argue till the cows come home that 45 handpasses sideways and backwards before a score attempt is attempted is great stuff.

The top brass know its not, the pundits know its not, the reporters know its not, the audience know its not, yet these

guys try to inflict their ideas on the game and then have the audacity to try and tell us its great.🤣

The clipboard merchants have the game ruined, no more no less… admit it

They will produce all the stats in the world to try to hold their 'jobs' but most intelligent folk see right through them.

Grifters.. that's the long and the short of it … hangers on trying to make a name for themselves… nothing surer.

Don't be sucked in by the spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

I was at the hurling yesterday, breathless stuff indeed. But why the hell is it being compared to football. They are totally different sports. Hurling is a stick and ball game where the ball can be propelled 90 metres effortlessly. I have never seen hockey used as a comparison to deride soccer. I feel that there is a touch of hurling man in this thread belittling football out of an inferiority complex mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That is the point. Both games can be played whatever way the teams want to play it. What is being pushed now is a plan to make players play football an different way. By making them stay in certain parts of the field, and forcing them to give up possession needlessly. They won't stand for it.

Three questions bro.

What evidence have you that "a plan is being pushed to make players play football a different way"

What evidence have you that 'Players are being made stay in certain parts of the field and being forced to give up possession needlessly" ?

What evidence have you that "they won't stand for it"

Time to take the gloves off now pal.

On Page 2 we got the first poster pushing for rule changes to make players stay in certain parts of the field. Followed by dozens of others. And on Page 1 where the OP declared football to be Muck, hurling was already being championed as a far better sport. Nothing new here since, just the same old same old.

"The GAA need to bring in rules that prevent this boring handpassing across the 45s over and over again.

Maybe a rule like if you cross the 45 you can't come back or preventing the number of defenders in ones own half."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

What annoys me is when the commentators on RTE lie about how exciting the game is, im just thinking I know you are lying and pretending its great but deep down you know its rubbish.

Definitely not, but we have 2 national games and so it isn't outrageous to compare them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭cms88

This is a question i often ask but never get an answer. If hurling is in fact the ''greatest game in the world'' why do hurling fans spend so much time belittling football to try and prove their point?

Hurling fans are a lot like Rugby fans in that the only way to can prove their game is bstter is by belittling another one that has nothing to do with them. In fact hurling fans do it with both football and soccer.

Hurling fans have been falling over themselves about the game yesterday. Yet will ignore things they'd be very fact to point out if it was football ie the numbers of wides etc

I watch both but until such a time as the media start calling out the faults in hurling we'll keep getting told how there's nothing better than it in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

We have 2 national sports on a tiny island both which could sell out an 82k stadium many times over for their finals. Let's celebrate and enjoy this instead of bickering on the merits of one over the other. Also stop the silly guff about them catching fire globally if they get enough exposure, nonsense as for Dalo comparing Tony Kelly to Maradona against England in 86, I hope he had drink taken.

Why are you watching or listening to a sport which you think is Muck?

• Advertisement

This is the crap that keeps surfacing… pointless arguing that black is white and then when called out Can not provide evidence for the rubbish posted.

It’s the commentators job to try to make the game sound as exciting as possible, so I would have no issue with that.

However more and more commentators and pundits in my listening experience are calling it as it is…..dull and boring.

I only watch a few minutes here and there, to check if it is still boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭megadodge

Nope, that's what they do with soccer.

Now there's a truly awful game that for some reason gets a free ride in the media despite its boredom and corruption.

Why are you still defending a way Gaelic football is played when a huge percentage think its boring?

Boring final, you woudnt watch that one back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Charlo30

Looking back on the Championship games I saw either in the flesh or on TV, only Dublin v Galway stands out as being enjoyable. The rest I found a hard watch. Change cannot come soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭shockframe

'Those that know least say most'

Tue 20 Feb 2024.

Kieran McGeeney has a message for the naysayers: despite the doomsday predictions, the GAA world is not about to end any day soon.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/we-must-be-the-most-negative-sport-in-world-kieran-mcgeeney-slams-critics-of-modern-day-football/a463320438.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Butson

It's a sport that rewards negativity.

Rugby could also be accused of that when you see South Africa winning the World Cup twice.

Lookit ….. when people like McGeeney and Starry boy have control of a team it will

always end up as it is …..outdoor basketball. Even the terminology is the same.

Terrible watch unfortunately.

It's great to see football being so open to taking ideas from basketball. Starry Boy is not the first to use them.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/basketball-tactics-held-key-to-dublin-beating-the-dreaded-blanket-defence/36137343.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭cms88

Just on the talk of Donaghy, why dont more teams recruit two or three 6 foot 5 lads to play in the full forward line, kick the ball into them over the blanket, Galway could have done with lads like that on Sunday, they never looked like getting a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Any sort of risk taking or thinking outside the box has been coached out of players. The final was predictable, it had draw or one point win written all over it from the start, and not in an exciting way. It was largely park the bus football. And that is likely the direction football will go without rule changes as its been shown to be successful this year. If you don't have a Clifford or O'Callaghan in your ranks, the only alternative is to park the bus and try score on the counter attack. The 2024 final was not much better than the 2014 one imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Will it not be the case that by bringing in some of these restrictions (which are essentially anti-blanket defenses). that the gap between the top 4 or 5 teams and the rest will widen. Many teams are now using the defensive strategy (to varying degrees of extremes), to try to frustrate the bigger teams. Most times it just limits the trouncing that the lesser teams would get if it was a free for all match. But sometimes it can makes matches close. I'm thinking of the likes of Louth etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The gap might well widen. Armagh, Galway, Kerry, Dublin would have no problem with restrictions on defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Advertisement

As long as the clipboard merchants and the basketball dudes have control there will be no recovery for

Gaelic Football.

Even the goal for Armagh was a kind of slam dunk.

Starry Boy and his mates will try to hold the status quo for S long as possible.

Advertisement