Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting around Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭rustyfrog

Dominick Street is closed in the summer evenings. Pedestrianise it 24/7 with a loading window in the early morning, like Shop Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

+1 on this. Remove On Street P&D for loading bays and also remove On Street P&D for wider footpaths, seating for cafe's, bike parking etc

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I really don't see why parking for two-wheelers ok, but four-wheelers isn't.

(It's kinda funny that in another thread people are bemoaning the loss of rental units to AirBbnB, but here we're advocating changes which make city streets a lot more unpleasant for residents.)

I know you really struggle with this based on other threads over the years. 1 car space = 10 bikes. Its basic space & efficiency. Make streets more pleasant for the residents by widening footpaths and reducing car traffic, car noise and pollution.

We need to move away culturally from the American/UK way which we have followed in recent decades and go back towards the European way of urban living that we used to have here. They are starting to do this already in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

i went for a run at lunch from the University - canal - south park - blackrock. i have to say the modifications done at Dominic street are fantastic! can't wait till they get the whole canal done.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure that it's been mentioned yet? The underpass (Quincentennial Bridge) linking the University's South & North Campus will/has been closed to general traffic. This hasn't made an impact to traffic yet, but once the University get's back to full capacity, i can see that there will be a major strain placed on the Browne roundabout, Lower newcastle road & University road.

Is there much traffic flowing through there? I would have thought it would only be internal Uni traffic and there's not much of that these days as they've gotten rid of a lot of the parking. Though what's left would be accessible by the routes you mention. Maybe they have plans to do away with the last big block of parking by the rowing club, leaving just the bit by the quad and Ryan. Would make sense, that big bit of parking would be prime real estate for the Uni

Wonder is University going to do something about having parallel access points onto Lower Newcastle Road - really only 1 is needed when one sees the underpass been opened up for people walking and cycling now, always thought would have to wait for a serious incident involving a pedestrian as the exit/entrance stairwell to the N6 Quincentenary on the corner before this underpass solution was came upon as the shear volume of pedestrians at peak times meant the 1 narrow footpath on a two way street under the N6 was overwhelmed with footfall.

They tried with distillery road, but a "rights of way" stopped them. @decor it a major rat run during rush hour. The big issue will be trying to move the staff students who live on other side of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

You assume the cars parked on the road in that area are owned by residents of the area. Easy enough to figure out by checking how many of them have residents parking badges...I'll make an assumption now that on Domnick street and down by Monroes, feck-all are residents cars. I don't go along with your theory that restricting car parking down there will make it a lot more unpleasant for residents, the opposite in fact.

• Advertisement

@decor the traffic lights at lower newcastle rd is a (no right turn). this forces the traffic via Browne roundabout or University rd - Headford rd. if your going east. There's more to it if you include people heading to Moycullen.

When you say rat run do you mean traffic where the destination is not the Uni is going through the Uni grounds (or was prior to the road closing), if so then it makes absolute sense for the Uni to close it.

To be honest, whenever I go through the Uni grounds it's on the path by the river from the city out to Dangan (walking/cycling) so I haven't paid attention to the junction turn restrictions there for years

I cant think of the last time I went into the grounds any other way. Which junction has the turn restriction? I know the bridge junction has that, just wondering if there's another one you're referring to

It's a rat run. I total agree, but there will be disruptions and i'd like to try and give people the heads up.

Totally get that, was just getting my head around it

What's the next roundabout to get the traffic light conversion? Browne must be well up the list, it's often a mess when traffic gets too heavy. And lots of people using the wrong lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere recently that the Browne is next on the list.

Yeah Browne is next up. They started the planning doc's back in 2020 or at least planned to (covid)

On a side note, whats left in terms of RAB's to be removed?

• Browne (Westside) (to be removed to link SQR to University Rd for the Cross City Link project)
    • Skerritt (Garda HQ) (to be removed as part of the BCG project)
    • Cemetery Cross
    • Seapoint
    • The 6 along the WDR which will all probably done under the banner of a single project to add bus lane and protected bike lanes a la SQR but who know when that might actually happen

I'd say Deane might be a standalone project on its own.

• Advertisement

I'm not struggling with anything.

1 car space can provide parking for 10 traditional bicycles. But when you factor in the increasing diversification of bicycle sizes, that goes out the window. 1 car space can fit perhaps 2 cargo etc bikes. The fat-tyre models that delivery drivers are increasingly using take far wider spaces. Bicycles also create untraceable rubbish: one was left chained to a pole outside my apartment for well over six months. Mr O'Bumble finally convinced the council lads to take it away. Until then it was an eyesore, and blocked the footpath.

That said, I totally agree that we need to provide bicycle parking (and penalties for those who don't use it). And 24 hour delivery zones. And bus-stops. And taxi-stands. And car access.

The proposal I reacted to was about pedestrianising areas, not just widening footpaths. We know that in an Irish content, pedestrian areas are not most pleasant 24 hours a day. As an actual inner city resident, I far prefer car noise to the 3pm "singer" (using the word loosely!), the midnight drum-circle, the post-nightclub Sweet Caroline /Fields of Athenry/Wonderwall crowd, and the 4am "I'll kill you" lads.

And I wonder about "going to the European way of urban living that we used to have here" - when was that, exactly? Am struggling to think of any time in Ireland's history when that would have been true.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

On the "urban living" thing, cars are a very recent addition to the Irish household. My grandparents grew up on farms and cycled everywhere, including into the city when they needed to. They all moved to the city when they got married but only 1 of the 4 ever got a license and drove a car. I'm only in my 30s and remember the first car in my houshold. Walking, bikes, buses, trains and hitch hiking were the only way to get around for the vast majority of Irish people until the 90's, no matter where you lived.

The car obesity crisis with SUV'S is a much bigger crisis than fat bikes with 65/55mm tyres rather than 25mm tyres. Hilarious comparisons. Far more car litter on every street in Galway City but you are just blind to it unfortunately.

You should brush up on your Modern Irish history. 20th Century Ireland we did not have this American car culture. Only from 90's onwards it really started - but it could be seen in housing development layouts from 70's onwards. People in general worked close to where they lived, far more local services like corner shops meant people could walk and cycle shorter distances.

Post edited by what_traffic on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

You were responding to a post about removal of pay and display parking, not pedestrianization.

Actually, if you thought you were responding to a post about pedestrianization of streets, then your comment about making residents life more difficult makes a lot more sense to me. I would be inclined to agree that it would be a big change, much more so than just removing on-street parking.

Probably, though it would make sense to do the whole of the WDR in one fell swoop, one stretch + RAB at a time, the pain will start once they break ground, might aswell just do it all rather than stop/start with different projects. Its 3km, give or take and the Dublin rd project is bigger so not out of the realm of possibility but who knows

Would'nt even know the races are on - does show what can be done.

So many getting the bus to and from the racecourse these days from City Centre and County towns

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

"to deter motorists from speeding" - implying that speeding is perfectly normal and acceptable

"replacement of pelican lights"

Wait, that's a zebra crossing... are they talking about downgrading it to a pelican crossing so pedestrians have to wait and allow the sweet sweet flow of cars?

• Advertisement

Zebra crossings don't work well when there's a high volume of pedestrians.

Especially near schools where the kids think it's a laughter to stop traffic for ages by crossing one at a time.

Advertisement