Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would buying a house with my Ex's money be a stupid idea

• 06-03-2023 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My ex and I split up last year, we have 2 small kids. Things are mostly amicable and we are currently sharing the family home 3/4 days a week through necessity. I am moving to my hometown as soon as the school year is up.

He put up 100% of the cash for the family home which he was able to do in full from some inheritance. My name is also on the house so I am entitled to 50%, which would not be enough for me to buy a decent a house where I am moving. My current plan is to take my share and live with my parents for 2/3 years, saving every penny to move out and buy my own place.

His family has money; and a relative has offered to buy a house in the area so he can have somewhere nice for the kids to go when they are with him. Because of this he suggested that we not split the money from the sale of the family home, but instead buy a house in both our names as then, with a relatively small loan, I could afford somewhere nice and not have to live with my parents for a few years while saving.

Part of me wants to separate from him as completely as possible, but the other part is pulled by the idea of being able to afford somewhere roomy in a good area rather than somewhere ok in an ok area. I have told him that if I agreed to it it would be with a view to buying him out, which he seemed surprised by.

Am I stupid to even consider it? I previously suggested to him that if he signed the family house over to me I would not ask him for child support, is that something that would even be legal to do?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

OP, unfortunately no one here can give you legal advice, which is essentially what you are looking for. I'm going to close the thread in the circumstances and suggest you contact your solicitor and explore the best options open to you.

All the best.

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement