Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Citadel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Citadel, the expensive Prime Video series produced by the Russo brothers, has been renewed for season 2 ahead of the debut of season 1, it stars

Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Richard Madden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Looks good. They must have a lot of confidence in it if they have renewed it for a second season already and the first season has not even dropped yet.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It’s another Russo Bros project that has blown well past it original budget and is now just behind Amazon’s LOTR series as the most expensive ever made

This has cost around $250m for seven episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

This looks like ridiculous, grab a beer from the fridge and throw on the popcorn fare. I'm looking forward to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So double episode this Friday then the remaining 4 episodes released weekly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched episode 1 it was fun and looks expensive (at least real set wise). It's not overly long and an easy watch

Richard Madden can definitely see him as more of an action star in future (I can see him as Bond - he is ripped!), not seen Priyanka Chopra in anything (bar I think I watched a few episodes of Quantico) she was fine. They had decent chemistry.

Tucci is solid (despite having to get through a lot of exposition), odd to see Lesley Manville in something like this but she is predictably terrific and brings a real touch of class to the show.

Train fight in the dining cart was excellent fun! As was the whole first part up until the train being blown up. I am a sucker for some fun tech and gadgets too.

One big criticism on the acting side, Maddens accent, it is in a word ropey and all over the shop. I suppose not a problem if he gets the bond gig at least..

Plot wise it's all a bit by the numbers Mission Impossible style (the films), globe trotting, nuclear codes and the like, manticore versus citadel with some double crosses.

I liked it.

Both episodes were less than 40 mins each.

Though is it going to be a running joke now where they ask what a normal item does? Like the lipstick and van.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

On Maddens accent, I thought it was OK in the one episode ive watched but if Citadel is meant to be this international spy Agency I don't understand why he couldn't just have kept his Scottish accent .

Ms

I must say I enjoyed it. Two excellent episodes. So Nadia knows who she is now but Maaon lost his chance. fecking idiot should have took it.

Some great fight scenes in it and it looks like we have some running jokes too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Saw on wikipedia that there are supposed to be international spinoffs planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Enjoyed those first 2 episodes - seems very short at only 6 episodes, but what was with her leg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

First episode was alright and I thought the second episode was better. Some good one-liners - I particularly liked the scene with the knife.

I have a feeling Mason is going to ultimately be revealed as having previously worked for Manticore. I'm guessing that's what Nadia's comment about Mason in the flashback referred to. They've established memories can be wiped and it would explain why Ambassador lady wanted him kept alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Watched the first episode and thought it was absolute dirt.

It would be nice to either get a spy show that

A - doesn't take itself seriously

B - plays things very seriously

This is just CW through a slightly different lense. Most of the usual character templates filled, same dialogue, same "super secret agency" vs "super secret evil agency" we've seen before.

The prologue is also nonsense. Why the pretenses from Manticore at all, if it was all a set-up to destroy Citadel? Why would they invite this situation if they just sought to end them? Just lazy and derivative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Bourne/Bond/MI thrown into a blender and then dumbed down further. Seemed kind of like "Marvel does Spies". It's brainless fun, but not exactly gripping. On the plus side, 6x40 minute episodes is my kind of format, so I'll probably stick with this, if not the whole "expanded universe" thing they're apparently planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I watched the first 2 episodes. it is a bit brainless alright. Still Priyanka Chopra... yummy...

Ms

I just watched the 3rd episode and really enjoyed it. Say what you like but I think this is a better show than the "True Lies" series.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yeah it's very much a switch your brain off show. That opening was very Roger Moore Bond era.

I wouldn't mind if they stopped using that upside down twisting camera shot.

Very distracting when Priyanka is taking her top off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I've seldom been as disappointed in a show and the waste of decent screen talent therein.

All fart and no poo.

Ms

show. That opening was very Roger Moore Bond era.

I wouldn't mind if they stopped using that upside down twisting camera shot.

Yes it's gets annoying alright. In the first episode I actually thought I had my phone the wrong way and was turning it around too lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Third episode was good for what it was, I thought.

Pretty sure the big twist coming will be what I speculated above: Mason was the Manticore mole. Abby's story was dodgy as well, so presumably she's been ordered to use Mason the whole time. I suspect the final episode will come down to Mason having to choose whether to go with Citadel or Manticore. Abby will probably choose to be with the big baddie, allowing Mason to choose to side with Nadia.

It's all a bit of basic action fluff but it's short and sweet enough to amuse me on a Friday evening. I'll stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Haven't watched any episodes yet - might give it a look.

Is it setup with one continuing plot, or is it more there's a plot of the week and a background arc that's building to the finale like Three Pines?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

One major plot but lots of flashbacks to fill in the story of how they arrived where they are currently.

Ms

I thought the latest episode was really good.

It has a few good twists in it.

I think the mole is either Nadia and she has forgotten she was a mole or Morgan

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Absolute shite so far

I will no doubt watch it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I'd have to agree although I probably won't finish. It's obviously had tons of money thrown at it but they only spent 50p on the actual story. It's garbage, expensive garbage but still garbage.

It's a pity to see good actors slumming it in this but I guess there's $$$ to be made.

I am finding it really bland and run of the mill considering the money they pumped into it.

No idea why I am still watching it but finished episode 4...probably the weakest episode for me so far. Very little Tucci and basically no Lesley Manville?!

All that money pumped into it and the script is a mess. It feels overly complicated and also completely basic and simple at the same time! The weird colouring is not helping either.

I liked the recent one. It's daft but it's amusing me all the same.

• Advertisement

For a guy with no memories of being a spy, he does quite well. I know muscle memory and instincts are a thing, but then you have jumping out of a plane.

Low key enough finale with a couple of reveals.

Not sure when season 2 will come out since they're advertising the next instalment in the Citadel Spyverse, "Citadel: Diana", for 2024. So unless that's early in the year then season 2 likely won't be out around the same time of year as season 1

Bit of an underwhelming finale I thought. The moments of jeopardy could have been spaced out better.

I called Mason being revealed as the one who sold them out. The stuff with the family connection felt excessive. I found myself laughing when he just broke out a British accent. Must say the camera work is annoying at times as well, especially when they do that upside-down view.

It's very silly stuff but I'd watch the next instalment all the same.

Feel I got lost in this show between the present and in the past segments, then again was never really paying much attention after the first episode - may be worth a rewatch at only 6 episodes

Finished....meh...basically **** bond.

Outside of Lesley Manville not much to recommend.

The Mason and Lesley Manville being his mum twist was decent I suppose...at least it slightly explained his **** American accent, but then again his English accent (I think?) wasn't much better lol.

The trailer for the spin off Citadel:Diana looked intriguing, but who exactly is clamouring for a Citadel "universe"?!

Very very meh for me I's love to know where the $250m budget went in those 6 episodes.

• Advertisement

I think it was 300...madness..loads of bad CGI...and the Russo's would be my guess

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

but who exactly is clamouring for a Citadel "universe"?!

Amazon producers as they are desperate for finding anything to go multi seasons on and flailing as seen in for example Rings of Power, The wheel of time etc. and will keep throwing money at it in the hope of finally hitting a GoT style following series.

This has been a huge flop for Amazon and the Amazon CEO has asked the Amazon Studio's executives to explain the crazy spending not just on this but also other overly expensive series they have made that have also flopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

This is going to sound odd but I still blame Primes rubbish interface putting ppl off and not bothering with Prime

Citadel was a show where I was wondering where the budget was spent. Overall it was pretty much a 3 hour movie but with a budget that matches (according to figures on wikipedia) all 4 John Wick films combined. I'm sure a lot went to paying the cast, but I wouldn't class Priyanka Chopra and Richard Madden as stars that can demand huge pay.

With something like Rings of Power you can see onscreen that it wasn't a cheap production.

• Advertisement

Have to agree, I am guessing globe trotting and the sets didn't come cheap, but in my head anyway Chopra and Madden aren't big stars. He was especially poor I thought and struggled with the accent. I am guessing the Russo's took a big cut. The fact they confirmed a second season and a likely pretty expensive spin off(s) seems a tad foolhardy.

I had to laugh at someone from Amazon's company about it needing time to find itself.

In this day and age when streamers are cancelling and even removing content months after release. Even Amazon are guilty of it in how Paper Girls came out at the end of July and was cancelled in September. That's just one example from them. And I'm sure that cost a lot less than Citadel.

Matt Berry joins the cast for season 2. I might actually give it a chance now.

Trailer for another spin off series this one starts October 10th

Looks good

Advertisement