Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Pickup Upgrade

Options
  • 07-03-2023 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Bit of background, I start learning guitar during lockdown, still very much a beginner. A friend gave me his old Yamaha Pacifica (30 years old). It's fine but I would love an upgrade. I like the feel of it and the neck is nice.

I'm thinking of a little project to upgrade the electronics. Doing a little research and I'm getting a little swamped. I only want to spend about €100ish so not looking at Seymore Duncans.

Any advice would be very welcome, I would love a pre-wired kit I can just slot in but I am OK with a little soldering.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You're not going to get much for 100, especially pre-wired. This is the closest I could find that's decent https://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_pre_wired_st_pickguard_tex_mex_479115.htm

Do you have any particular sound in mind, or something that's missing that's suggesting an upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nedd

Thanks for the reply.

Basically the guitar is old, pickups are rusty, pots are crackly. Ideally I would invest in a new guitar but I like the idea of upgrading what I have.

Sound wise, I am very much beginner but it's basically rock/blues sound. Not Jazz or Death Metal. Somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Wilkinson vintage strat pickups with alnico magnets probably offer the best value @ about €25 each such as - https://tinyurl.com/2p8mvypy From China but an example of what to look for. Maybe there's a UK/Eurpean seller with similar

If it's the HSS Yamaha make sure the middle pickup is reverse wound reverse polarity

New pots would go a long way, Aplha or CTS pots are a few quid each An audio/linear pot combo would be fine but doesn't really matter

That would be probbly done for less than €100 and best bang for buck considering one half decent pickup is €80+

As for what you have, some contact cleaner and wd40 would go a long way cleaning out old electronics

Thanks for all that info. I will have a look at everything you mentioned.

Out of boredom I just ordered an Audio Interface so I may have blown my budget there :-(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Do not use normal WD-40 on pots. It will leave a coating on the pot tracks. Contact cleaner is the right way.

• Advertisement

I have got through all the electronics with contact cleaner. It made a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

guitarfetish.com do some excellent electronics

Advertisement