Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Industrial school records

Options
  • 07-03-2023 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi, does anyone have experience trying to access records from industrial schools?

Looks like my great grandmother (possibly) appears in the St Georges Industrial School for girls in Limerick 1901 census listing.

With the various requests for information around redress, just wondering how accessible records might be. Not looking for redress, just kind of clarification on whether it's her, and anything that might be available I guess

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

This article by Fiona Fitzsimmons is a good starting point.

The records are usually still in the order's care, so you'll need to know what religious group ran it.

Caranua has some good guides but they're geared towards people still alive.

https://caranua.ie/useful-resources/

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭55Gem

In 1901 House and Building Return Bridget Haugh is listed for St George's Convent/ Reformatory and Industrial Schools and a Magdalene Laundry (I think) so look like the Good Shepherd nuns ran the Industrial School.

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000992959/

• Registered Users Posts: 46 paumurp

As mentioned, I think it was the Good Shepherd. It's one of the institutions listed on the redress scheme, but I imagine that's aimed at more recent 'residents', possibly linked to them having a laundry.

Looking at mydatarights website, they have a template letter to send looking for information (whether for a living or deceased person). Not entirely sure what information it might present - I'm mainly trying to confirm it's the right person, so not sure it's worth trying to convince elderly aunts/my mother to sign a letter to get, who knows what.

Post edited by paumurp on

Advertisement