Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

"I know people will say but those properties will go to someone else to maybe buying but not that's not immediately, for most properties when the tenant leaves the place will have to be made ready for sale and that depending on the state of the place could be a week to a few months to when that property is on the market."

This!

My property was left in perfect condition in the first week in November, I put it up for sale literally the next day. Went sale agreed in late January, and the sale still isn't closed (hopefully in the next two weeks).

Take a month or so off that for Christmas/New Year, when everything ground to a halt, and it's still 4 months for a straightforward sale with no complications and vacant possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jedenwins

Couldn't agree more. I'm a landlord who have tenants who seem ideal candidates to have property bought and let them stay on at social rates, but DLRCOCO declined to even survey the property. They'll be homeless in a month as things stand and I'll be selling on open market. It's a one bed apartment so maybe they aren't the kinds of property they're after but tenants are on RAS and one is a full time carer for her sick husband so in an invidious position. What the govt are saying about LA's taking on properties up for sale from sitting tenants isn't even close to the reality of what is happening on the ground. I saw an article on those numbers that confirms this, not just anecdotal. I hope they can get something sorted in the remaining weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,785 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If 5,000 homes become vacant as a result of notices of termination, there are 5,000 homes available to rent/buy, so zero change in homelessness. If some of the current occupants of the 5,000 homes emigrate, then homelessness will be reduced. Them's the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I think that is exactly what they are doing. Driving down the price by being the only one you can sell to because tenants cant be removed even if you are selling. Now comes the new legislation that forces a landlord to sell to the local authority if they want to sell. Doesnt matter anyway as noone else will be bidding on a property with a tenant who wont move out. LEo really sticking the knife into property owners here.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I don't think it is a compulsory scheme for landlords and apparently it has been in place for some time but not widely publicised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The media love him as an "expert", he was on rte radio yesterday evening too.

He had a real bee in his bonnet over multiple property owners and wasn't questioned half enough on it to give listener a good ventilating of his agenda.

Not compulsory YET, dont you mean.

With Leos little adlib today its clear you can see where we are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Homelessness and housing has been discussed and one of the top topics for years and years.

It hasn't stopped from before covid and now afterwards. The eviction ban hasn't made it any more prominent in the daily news.

I didn't think there was even any talk of making it compulsory in the future. What adlib of Leo are your referring to?

Provided the LA doesn't overpay I don't see a huge problem with the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Floppybits

So are you saying that the governments solution is to hope that people emigrate and this will solve the housing situation?

• Advertisement

But the selling/buying process takes months (in my case anyway, and that was a straightforward sale) - so if a proportion of those 5000 are going to be sold you've an awful lot of people looking for an awful lot less available properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

How is it not compulsory if the owner must offer it to the tenant first and if the tenant cant afford to buy, then the next step is that the council or an ahb comes into the picture.

Its not very clear tbh but for instance, can the owner say no, hold on, I want vacant possession to put it on the open market through an estate agent or I want to put the property to auction?

Im not a landlord but if the state can tell a landlord property owner WHO they must sell to, is that not a very precarious road to go down? What about other property owners who want to sell, say people in nursing homes or families selling a deceased parents house. Will they be told who they can sell to because we're in a housing crisis and it is "for the common good".

Scary idea.

I was talking about the bit where a local authority buys the property and the tenant becomes a social tenant does not have to become potentially homeless or move to another place. They get to keep their home. I don't believe at the moment the landlord has to accept any offer from the LA, it is merely an option.

The scheme seems to have been in place for a some time though is only being publicised now, and the only thing I can see has changed is that the government will be increasing the amount of offers made to landlords by local authorities.

I think perhaps landlords are getting unnecessarily paranoid. The big problem will likely be overpayment by the local authorities as the money is not coming out of pockets of the workers making the decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,785 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Where did I say that was the government's solution? All I am saying is that the eviction ban is a big red herring from the opposition, as the net effect on homelessness in the medium term of removing the eviction ban is at worst zero, and at best, sees a net reduction in homelessness.

All of the crying and whinging from the opposition about the eviction ban, and it makes no difference to the homelessness numbers.

It's not a net zero effect.

I didn't evict my tenants, as it happens - but if I had, in order to sell, the property has been off the market as a residence for nearly 5 months now, and I put it up for sale the day after they left.

Multiply that out for all the landlords waiting to get vacant possession, add in all the extra renter "units" who will result from house-share situations - and you have a lot more would-be renters than you have properties, certainly in the short term.

Same here. Me tenants went home late last year and we kept it empty until we put it on the market this year. God knows how long it would have taken to get it ready to sell if they hadnt left themselves. tbh if they werent moving back to their home country, at the time we decided to sell, we probably wouldnt have sold until they left themselves anyway. But they were always going to be our last tenants. But when the eviction ban talk came we decided it was time to sell. A work colleague asked could they move in until we sold, but that was too much of a risk i thought, so left it empty til it was time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

If the property owner can choose whichever option suits them, then thats the way it should be imo. Otherwise if it's not a free choice, that would be very restrictive for landlords and also very unfair for prospective buyers who would be blocked out of any opportunity to buy any ex-rental.

How is it ok for the government to prioritise one type of buyer over others, possibly first time buyers or downsizers or even other landlords if there's any left. Everything can't be in favour of tenants in fairness, other citizens besides landlords have a stake in this too. Our policy makers are supposed to represent ALL our citizens and taxpayers although it doesnt seem like that of late.

However. as I have said, that doesn't seem to be the case. The landlord can, as far as I'm aware, sell to the council under the scheme (presuming there has been an offer), sell to the council outside the scheme (again presuming there is an offer) or sell on the open market.

There is a problem with lack of information on the scheme as far as I can see though and this needs to be sorted out very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think we all have given up on this government to solve the problem.

The fact that they had no plan in place for the end of the eviction ban says it all.

As a landlord i have no great faith in SF either.

The only thing that would keep me in the market now is tax reductions.

And unless SF commit to those I'm out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In 2010 remember the vilification of Irish developers most of whom went under? They would have went bust anyway but it's the principle. Then we end up almost comically reliant on foreign funds to put a brick in the ground and now we are were we are. Populism.

Populism created the bubble and has now created a societal mess which is only going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭amacca

Who the **** wants tax reductions on income you might not earn from tenants overholding and potentially damaging the place with no recourse for you....

Imo the tax reductions while not unwelcome are not the biggest problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah I think you’ve pretty much called it out here- investments are all about risk. In the distant past, the main risk you took on with renting a property was the risk of the property laying vacant due to low demand or not achieving the optimum rent to make it viable.

Now someone can essentially move in, not pay and it will take you a year or more to get them out and there’s nothing you can do about it. I’ve seen videos online in America where the sheriff arrives with his gun and simply says “sling your hook”- job done. We need laws that protect tenants- absolutely we do- but equally when things go south, we need laws that give landlords some incentive to remain landlords and to quickly rectify the issue- I’d also like to see more accountability against tenants wrecking houses- like a debt that never leaves them until they pay back what’s owed- either that or the government revert to becoming social housing landlords all over again providing 100,000s of social housing properties across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

People complaining about the eviction ban being lifted though are not providing an alternative soliton - we’ve had 6 months of certain landlords helping to stave off the inevitable - thank you private landlords, you’ve done the country some good. Now it’s time to uncover the true extent of the homeless issue - it’s been hiding behind this ban for too long - politics has meddled enough in this market - if the sh1t is about to hit the fan then let’s see it- I’d prefer to see the full extent of a bad situation and plan to address it than see only half the picture and put my head in the sand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

The issues you raised are always there but probably worse now.

The RTB is a joke and not fit for purpose.

A low tax rate would help me stay in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭amacca

Oh they are definitely worse now or at least what could happen is much worse even though the issues did exist as far back as I can remember.

Wasn't taking a pot shot at you btw, I realise the tax thing might encourage some its just my opinion the other glaring issues the politicians want to ignore and the media seems to give very little attention to will mean it won't be much of a consideration for a larger cohort.

As I said less taxation on risky to potentially non existent income ain't much of an incentive. If a person owned multiple properties where most are performing it might be a big incentive however.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If they reduced the tax to zero I would still exit the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Bacik says she will deliver 1 million houses over the next 10 years, now that probably went down well with the D4/6 folks in the room hanging on her every word but I'm gonna call bullsh1t on a party that has a good chance of being wiped out in the next GE even delivering one brick over the next 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ReddererMist

A renter with mainly positive experiences of renting so no gripe with LLs. It’s a business transaction on both sides, they provide a service and I pay for it. No victims, no villains here ….. however would landlords leave the market at the same rate if attainable house prices were not at record levels? I would question it.

The level of hyperbole and dramatics on both sides of the fence is jaw dropping and reinforcing entrenchment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

RTB have surveyed landlords selling up and the main reason given was not wanting to be a landlord any more.

That has to do with increased costs, increased risk and regulation.

What do you think they are going to do with the money when they 'cash in', I think the majority still in at this point would much rather stay invested in property than 'cash in'. ESRI are predicting price increases over the near to medium term.

The whole narrative of landlords cashing in is politically motivated BS.

Advertisement