Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

We need to get back to longer term thinking.

One thing would be to tie tax rates on rental income to the types of leases offered. Shortest term, AirBNB type stuff gets the highest tax. Longer terms such at 5 or 10 or even longer get progressively lower. the longer the agreement, the lower the tax. Once the agreement is signed it's legally binding and the tenant can't be evicted except for breach of contract.

Strengthen protections for both landlords and tenants. Requiring a higher deposit along with a credit rating would weed out bad tenants and give the landlord additional resources if they thrash the place. But likewise strengthen the tenants rights. they can't be kicked out or have the rent increased excessively/too often. That will give them security. The landlord is guaranteed a ROI but on a longer term.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Emblematic

No I am not trying to run any landlord group out of town. Although I would regard some rebalancing away from small landlords as being good for tenants in the long term, I think there will always be a niche for small landlords.

I disagree with you that institutional landlords weren't in competion with you. Directly possibly no, but indirectly yes since they increased the available number of units and this would have a knock on effect at all levels.

I agree with you that there needs to be a variety of rentals: institutional, small private landlords, public housing etc. Overall the amount of accommodation needs to be increased for both rental as well as purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Definition of rent seeking:

"Rent-seeking is the act of growing one's existing wealth by manipulating the social or political environment without creating new wealth. Rent-seeking activities have negative effects on the rest of society"

If landlords can't turn a buck in the current environment with the state underwriting almost every aspect of the "business" via tax deductions, they're idiots.

The fact is they are exiting because the Celtic Tiger money for nothing cohort are out of negative equity and are cashing in.

If the government starts bunging more free money at landlords in the next budget they've effectively created a zero-risk swindle completely backstopped by PAYE workers. It would be absolutely absurd and every senior civil servant and cabinet minister knows it.

Let them continue on the whinge and sell cycle and the state needs to get about the business of building social and affordable housing at scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well all I can say from personal experience is that I never had a void period, always was way oversubscribed when I advertised - so certainly up until now the institutional landlords had absolutely no effect on my renting.

There is not a hope in hell FG will form part of the next Government and you can bookmark this post.

We'll never see a majority single party government in our lifetime but SF will be a very attractive dance partner for all parties except FG.

Anyone living in denial about the lead party in the next government being SF is high on copium and needs to consult a doctor to dry out.

You can also garuntee that more units will be built by SF, particularly social and affordable.

As for economic performance, IBEC and the the American Chamber are already breathing down the necks of the government about housing supply, no need for boogyman Shinner stories, it's already effecting productivity and national output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

You are completely ignoring the impact of RPZ's.

They can duff more incentives to rent seekers if they're stupid enough to do so. It would be an insult to PAYE workers and make zero difference, and also lob an extra few seats onto SF's seat haul the next election.

Martin is on a retirement lap. It's well known in political circles that those standing behind him will be doing business with SF.

The SF housing policy is basically the one the ESRI came out with (which is why Leo et al spat the dummy about it) and will be broadly the policy the expert housing commission will come up with when it reports.

What you posted is actually the ideology and political puff. I'm not pretending SF have all the answers to housing, but they definitely have more of them, have the will to do it, and will be leading a strong coalition government to do so.

This government has completely f*cked the housing situation and there's little utilitity in playing boogeyman scare stories about SF when the current government are so appallingly unmoored and failing so badly.

You could've shortened that post to say "I don't really care that lower income households will have nowhere affordable to live".

And what's more, it's not merely lower income households that are facing this issue, it's now reaching deep into the middle class.

You can pretend that the 1 in 3 voters that express a preference for SF are all queing up for their mickey money at the post office every Wednesday, but just like the current government are slowly coming to terms with, they absolutely are not.

False actually. The largest strand of SF housing policy is actually affordable homes for purchase measures. It's basically the same policy that the ESRI recommended (which again, is why Leo spat the dummy when the ESRI published).

You can repeat it over and over again if you want, but it's not what SF policy is. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating, but like I said, they absolutely have more of the answers than the current coalition (particularly FG) who have been appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Emblematic

No, even with RPZs, institutional investors draw away higher end tenants who would otherwise be vying for a smaller pool of available properties. That competition provided by institutional investors is good for tenants at every level, including those not directly renting from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Are the government trying to focus all attention on a bloody tweet now? Have we reached Donald Trump levels of politics? I don't care about Twitter, I want to know how the housing disaster will be fixed and how. And I know bloody well who caused the problem.

Is this why FFG ministers have so many advisers and PR people? To trawl thru Twitter for distractions. What a shallow useless government.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Sinn Fein entire plan is built on councils building houses. These are the same councils who are incapable of collecting rent in the current houses they have. Plus the one period Sinn Fein was running DCC they managed to increase the arrears massively, evict one person and reduce the number of units for DCC available.

Let's ignore all of this, who exactly are Sinn Fein going to get to build the houses for the councils because as we are all aware the shortages at the moment on building sites are huge. Maybe they could get the county councils to outbid the private contractors for builders/workers etc. Well that just drives up the cost of housing more and more.

The next idea from Sinn Fein is to get rid of the LPT. A huge tax break for the rich all over Ireland. Who will suffer with the LPT removal? well everyone because the people with the huge mansions and dodging tax all over the place have to pay LPT which gives money to the councils to build playground etc in the area. Something which has been massively improved since LPT introduction. No lets get rid of that and starve the councils of funding.

Next idea, they are going to tell the Central Bank to tell the Banks to reduce mortgage rates. This is just pure propaganda in the first place but second the last thing we should have is a government making decisions for banks.

They also plan to remove HAP. No idea but maybe you can explain.

The Sinn Fein housing policy is a pile of waffle. Hence why you have a campaign by Sinn Fein for the last 12 months trying to tell everyone if they do get into government they can't fix anything in one term. That's Sinn Fein, excuses before they even start.

maybe I am wrong, I am open to an explanation that might say different

https://www.sinnfein.ie/housing-4

What I said about SF policy has nothing to do with belief. The largest component of their policy (which is the most extensive policy of all the major parties) is for affordable purchase, not social. That's a matter of fact and not belief.

How do you like your crow served? With chips or mash? Because SF are a lock to to be the lead party in the next government.

Like I said earlier, we've got a copium epidemic in some quarters.

"Sinn Fein entire plan is built on councils building houses."

I stopped reading right there. No it isn't. If the rest of your post continues in the same vein, I've missed out on nothing in not reading it.

I'm not wedded to SF or their housing policy. But it's streets ahead of the governing coalition who have lead us to the edge of social disaster and have proven to be appalling.

Many, many other people have reached the same conclusion. Which is why in the not too distant future, you'll be waking up to a SF led government.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

With RPZ's irrespective of competition, landlords can't increase rents more than 2% while inflation is 4 or 5 times that.

Unless it is a new to market rental - which is mostly institutional.

Do you honestly think people are decreasing rents now due to increased competition from institutional investors renting places at market high rents?

What is happening en masse is that small landlords sell up to first time buyers, tenant gets a notice to quit and the only available units on the market are e.g. new build apartments from an institutional investor that cost over 2.5k a month when they were paying 1.5k before.

To talk about 'competition' provided by institutional investors being good for tenants is really ironic.

They provide supply but it comes at a huge price level, they are only a solution for one segment of the market.

There are quite a small number of them in Ireland with big portfolios, do you think that sounds more like a competitive market or a cabal?

Of course you stopped reading at that part because the rest you don't like. You are telling everyone on the thread how great SF housing plan is and the first challange to it, you don't read the post, second you then back away from supporting the SF housing plan. Says it all really doesn't it?

Also maybe you can point to the ESRI document which is the same as SF housing plan? I am struggling to find it on their website. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Still beating that drum, houses don't disappear blah blah blah but it does, it no longer available to the rental market. If it didn't disappear then we wouldn't have the accommodation crisis now would we and people being evicted wouldn't be so worried about trying to find another rental property to buy? So those renters being evicted, tell us, where are they going to go?

SF are doing a great job of shooting themselves in the foot. Talk about trying to alienate the entire public sector with Eoin going after the Gardai.

• Advertisement

Nope, I stopped reading because you started off with a verifiable falsehood that you probably purloined from someone on Twitter going off on a mad one.

Don't have much confidence that the rest of it was much better.

You'll find you'll get a better hearing on things if you don't open with something that isn't true which removes all credibility from what comes after.

have you proof of that? As far as I can tell from listening to the talk shows everyone sees this for what it is, nothing but a cynical tactic by FG to distract from the lifting of the eviction ban.

The post was made by SF Eoin O'Broin about the Gardai and you are talking about FG.

I am talking about FG's pathetic response to the post by SF Eoin O'Broin. Like they actually care.

Do you think the post was correct for Eoin to post as a TD?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭kazamo

”SF are a lock to be the lead party in the next government”

Thanks buddy, it has been a miserable day at work, but your comedy has helped lighten the mood….keep up the good work 👍

What's more instructive is the the absolutely hollow and performative mock outrage from within FG over the tweet.

They had some no-name junior minister on Claire Byrne this morning carrying on like a redneck Republican congressman from Alabama covering the microphone in spittle on a "support the troops" rant.

You can be damn sure that Gardai ordered to the site of evictions (quite wrongly in my view and in the view of many in the force), it definitely crosses their minds: "I didn't join the Gardai for this"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Listening to the talk shows?

The silent majority were there in the opinion poll at the weekend. The removal of the eviction ban has got huge support. It isn't all landlords, it is people who pay their way who don't believe in extending the eviction ban.

Lads, this will be the easiest boards "I told you so" of all time.

Copium epidemic continues apace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sorry, but it wasn't FG TDs who got outraged first, it was the AGSI. They know Sinn Fein, they know the people they are, and they rightly pointed out what O'Broin was at. Focus on what the AGSI said and not on what the government TDs said.

O'Broin's mealy-mouthed apology isn't helping either. It is one thing to play to the mob on housing, it is another to go after the Gardai like he did.

Advertisement