Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Citizens appalled at the housing crisis are a "mob" now are they blanch? Have you thought about moonlighting on the comms team in FG HQ? There's still a few points to shave off their approval rating before they hit absolute rock bottom. Might hit single digits with your skills.

It was a piece of art. That the AGSI came out pissing viniger doesn't really move me that much.

Gardai arriving at evictions in numbers is not the purpose of the force, and rank-and-file are positively embarrassed when they're ordered there.

O'Broin did feck all wrong.

Edit: as an aside, the AGSI is the rep association for an upper rank of Garda who sends beat cops out to sites. Ask a lower rank cop how he or she feels about the painting. Probably less pearl clutching than you'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nobody gives a solid **** about a tweet or the gardai or any of that manufactured drama, they care about homes and it doesn't matter how much shills on the internet try to pretend Sein Fein are the boogeyman, people like me still aren't going to vote for the useless **** **** that created this mess.

I don't care what SF will do or won't do, I don't care one little bit, I'm not voting for them, I'm voting against the people that created this entire mess to begin with.

Somebody tweeted something, seriously, who gives a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

I gave you the link to SF housing policy document. Nothing to do with Twitter.

From the top of the document: Sinn Féin would deliver the largest public house building programme that Ireland has ever seen that will deliver secure homes for all.

Halve the council housing waiting list during one term of government through our council-led building programme on public land and clear the waiting list within the decade.

It confirms in the rest it would move away from private companies building houses.

If you don't even know the basic's of what Sinn Fein are proposing then I am struggling to see why you are promoting it? maybe you should read it instead of pushing "verifiable falsehood that you probably purloined from someone on Twitter going off on a mad one." :-)

Any chance for that ESRI document you mentioning?

I will ask you, do you think the tweet was correct by Eoin?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Emblematic

However, as I have said, it is still in the interest of the tenant at whatever level to have this extra supply. Price is not the only aspect. Imagine if all the institutional investors were asked to leave and the properties they built destroyed (i.e. as if they existed in Ireland). What do you think would happen at the lower end with tenants looking to rent a place? They would have the additional problem of higher end tenants competing with them for places. Yes, the RPZ does mitigate this problem somewhat but more tenants competing for a reduced number of properties still makes it more difficult for the individual tenant.

Yes, the small number of institutional investors is an issue but this is where regulation and competition policy comes in. The advantage is that these larger investors can be regulated effectively to the benefit of the tenant. This is something that can't be done so easily with small landlords.

You're conflating public housing and social housing. Your error not mine. The largest component of SF housing policy is affordable housing units for purchase. That's true facts.

I had zero problem with O'Broin's tweet. Watching a floundering government flipping the lid over it has been comic relief.

P.S, go find the ESRI research document yourself. It's easily retrievable through your search engine of choice. I recommend Bing or Ask Jeeves.

It's there, and it proves me right and you wrong. Needless to say, it's glorious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

How do we fix this mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

At the end of the day there is zero chance of Sinn Fein making up any part of the next government. Neither ff or fg will go into government with them. And come nearer the time to an election their policies will once again be torn to shreds.

No Im not. As I said SF plan is to get councils to build houses, I never said those houses wouldn't be affordable. You don't seem to understand the SF housing plan which is not a huge surprise. Most supporters don't seem to understand any of SF policies.

The government has nothing to do with the tweet, so no idea why you constantly are talking about them.

You mentioned the ESRI document, the ones I have found have nothing to do with SF plan. Needless to say its like everything to do with SF, all hot air.

SF are starting to act like an All Ireland party with one slight difference

In the North the excuse for everything is the DUP

In the Rep now the excuse for everything is FFG

How useless are they that they can’t even stand over their own tweets?

Lol. Another one for the crow list.

Have a chat with a FF backbencher or junior minister. They're already picking out their lipstick to get SF to go to the dance with them.

The only shredding of policies goes on in the minds of FG spads. We have an example here on the thread of someone making up porkies and just repeating them to see if they'll stick.

The reality is this government is running on empty. Their failure on housing is so grand and breathtaking that they're still in the bargaining stage of grief.

Take a look at Paddy Power's odds for the next GE. SF are 1/5 to be the largest party. What do you think odds like that mean?

It's time to come into reality a little bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

So after we drive all of the small landlords out of the market through over-regulation we will go after the institutional landlords!

And all the while we are asking investors to invest to provide 50,000 new units a year, while having a policy to 'regulate away' their yield and property values after they buy in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Did you know that paddy power paid out anyone who had Hillary backed to beat trump, on the eve of the election results! They did the same for anyone who bet on Brexit being defeated. One mistake people are making, IMO, is thinking that because SF made a rookie error last time in not putting forward enough candidates that all they have to do next time is enter a shed load of candidates. That ship has sailed I'm afraid. Not alone are their opposition now aware of what has to be done but many of those sf candidates elected last time have simply confirmed the belief prior to the last election that they were/are simply not up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

Oh great. Another FFG v SF thread

I see what you did there! However as I have said, there will still be a place for small landlords.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

This is bollix. You have no experience of the business. Mortgage interest is only one part of cost of maintaining a property.

Around 2007-12 a lot of tenants walked out of their leases because there were so many apartments etc

The RTB is a joke.

Chasing tenants who didn't pay rent is a nightmare.

The bank BTW still expects to get their Mortage payments even when the place is vacant. Or when a tenant decides not to pay rent safe in the knowledge that the RTB etc will take a year to sórt it out.

There are going to be much less of them, mostly small landlords that don't have a mortgage.

As a country we will then have a concentrated exposure to risk factors that affect the small number of institutional investors we will be relying on for our rental market. We never miss an opportunity to kick things down the road and sew the seeds for the next crisis in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Allinall

The Dail just voted confidence in the current government, and you think they’re running on empty?

Living in SF fairyland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A lot of places are going to open up now on the market once the tenants have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

100% agree. SF are irrelevant when it comes to the housing disaster. Twitter is also irrelevant. Only FFG can fix it between now and 2025 and it's pretty clear they aren't committed to doing so.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

FFG are kicking the housing can down the road and who ever is next in government will have one hell of a mess to fix.

• Advertisement

Ahh the excuses still coming rolling in. hilarious 😂

Instead of making excuses before we even get to an election, ask any party who comes up with them why they can’t fix the issue when they have spent the last 3 years telling everyone they know how to fix it and the current government don’t

SF are not irrelevant, SF are currently blocking houses and building all over ireland so are 100% relevant.

So is anyone blocking houses

Stop TD blocking houses

Fast track planning but still abide by planning laws

Stop building houses and just apartments like in europe with proper green areas etc

Chnage regulation to give some power back to LL so they can remove non paying tenants

Give banks the power to remove non paying mortgage customers

All of the above could be done quickly and would result in resolving teh crisis, but we would have uproar from the population who are currently in uproar about housing

Its always the example of people blocking housing and the next minute crying because their children has no house, you can’t fix stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Newsflash, we know the current government can't fix it. Its a stone cold fact, demonstrated a thousand times over.

We also know they created it, another stone cold fact.

I know your job is to paint SF as the big bad wolf but it is really **** stupid to play the card of "SF don't know how to fix it", as if that absolves the current government in any way, shape or form.

I think one of the things we need to look at is how things are done in other countries. Good article in The Journal comparing levels of regulation and tenant protection in Ireland vs. other EU countries.

From the article:

"No-fault evictions involve tenants being forced to leave despite doing nothing wrong. Ireland, along with the UK, is an outlier in this regard when compared with other European countries. 

Irish landlords have much more freedom when it comes to ousting tenants than most of their counterparts across Europe. For example, a landlord can legally evict someone if they or a family member intend to live in the property themselves. 

A tenant may also be evicted if the landlord wishes to change the use of the property or carry out significant renovations. None of these were valid reasons for eviction under the recently overturned eviction ban. 

Sirr gives the hypothetical example of a parent wanting to put their children up in a second home while they attend university, in which case the landlord would be within their rights to evict the occupant. 

“That would be unconscionable in most other European countries,” said Sirr, who points out that while the government’s recent eviction ban may be out of keeping with the norm in this country, it is far from unusual in other EU states. " [emphasis mine]

Is our going alone and following the UK model a mistake? Full article well worth a read.

I agree with you that a smaller number of players will need to be carefully monitored and regulated. But my view is that from the tenants point of view a better service would be provided. But I would still see a role for the small landlord for maybe the shorter term, cheaper lets, non-standard properties and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

That article is cherry picking. Not a word about security for the landlord, i.e. getting rid of a non-paying tenant. I'll hazard a guess that it's a lot harder to get a non-paying tenant out here in Ireland than it is in Germany etc.

The article did have praise for the RTB here but the experts said it was under-resourced.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Personally I think the RTB are as useful as a chocolate tea pot.

• Advertisement

You are not actually getting my point at all, nowhere did I suggest closely monitoring or regulating anyone.

If the small number of Irish property investment funds are hit with mass redemptions due to shared economic risk factors flaring up and sell up a tonne of rentals en masse at the same time, and no small landlords are interested in buying, who is going to provide rentals?

Advertisement