Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Still not answering where are the rental properties going to come from to house those people who have now been served a "Notice of Termination" now or in the coming weeks? Where do they go?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We have the crazy situation where Dublin City Council objects to housing within its own area yet cries about the Government not funding housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,229 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Half of europe isn't experiencing anything close to what Ireland is experiencing. Ireland by far the outlier. Berlin is often used as an example but it's nowhere near as bad as Ireland. We've screwed it up so much that we're in a league of our own. We wish we were as bad as berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Answered.

People move around, has happened before and will happen again.

Maybe you could answer a question, what exactly did you want the government to do before the eviction ban was lifted?

I can tell you something, we would be in a lot better position if we didn't have a certain "All Ireland party" running DCC from 2014 - 2019 and ended up with less available units than they started with. Then the same party put forward and votes and extension to the eviction ban in Dublin.

How anyone can think that level of incompetence would be good to run the country is beyond me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

With REITs now looking for statutory declarations that people have never overheld or refused to pat their rent its looking like they wont be going anywhere ever. So once the landlord goes throught the few years it will take them to evict the overholder (is that another new word) they wont get anywhere else. REITs will soon be the only game left in town too.

Are you being serious here, asking that question? Really?

I tell what they should have done, they should have had the measures and legislation in place for what they have said in the last week. They didn't have them done and they knew the eviction ban was ending, why only put through the legislation now? Why not have it all legislated so that it kicks in when the ban was lifted. Can you not see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Plenty of work there is the point though.

Too many houses was the refrain not so long ago. Hate to think what would have happened if the Government had started borrowing money to give to the demon developers when the country was bankrupt and swimming in spare houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

On to DAFT for a start without using search filters to be a stones throw from where they decide they have to be, offer to buy off the seller, family and friends as a last resort, look to emigrate or return to home country in some cases. How many of these would actually take an offer of moving to emergency accommodation? Very few because there are better alternatives available to them, majority of the claims that people are going to be homeless just aren't real.

What was their plan for the very real possibility of getting a 6 months notice in a rental market that has been deteriorating for at least 6 years?

Are you saying they have no responsibility to have figured this out for themselves?

Some may have a situation that gives them very little choice but that just isn't true for the majority, they just don't like the options and think they are entitled to something they don't own and haven't earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

Almost all the eviction stories I read or saw on the news are people who are not working. A young healthy looking man the other day who is originally from pakistan, which I nothing against and he said he has Irish citizenship, but he then said he's not working. Didnt explain why he doesnt work.

Is it people will lose most of their HAP if they tale a job ??

Yes, we need to build a lot of social housing/apartments, but implement a rule that if your work and cannot afford to buy privately, then you are on top of the list and are entitled to social housing with you paying a % of your income. If you dont work (with history of unemployment and not ill or disabled), you go to the bottom of the list. If you lrave your job after getting an apartment/house, you lose your housing after X months if you dont get another job.

• Advertisement

The eviction ban should have been lifted over 12 months ago.

Government is gone too soft playing up to the opposition.

They should also change the planning regulations that stops politicians and parties using it for political gain.

I have already outlined the changes to the rental system which would attract more LL instead of driving them out of long term rentals. Better idea's than I have seen you put forward by the way

Have you checked Daft to see how many properties there are to rent in Ireland, not just Dublin or Leinster? I will save you the trouble there are 1,169 properties to rent in Ireland. People moving in with family and friends are still homeles, yes they have a roof over their head but that's it and I can tell you that welcome wont last too long, so the only answer is the old solution to everything emigrate? But then that doesn't make sense either because the government are saying we don't have enough people to fill the jobs here and are bring in people from other countries to do that but the solution is if you can't get a place then leave?

I'm listing options to exhaust that are better than descending into lawlessness and removing property rights.

There is no 'solution' but even when the going gets tough you need to respect the law and property rights as a society.

If we want to be flexible and say its ok to bend the law if the the cause is just we are into pub bombing logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The idea that these eviction stories are affecting only people who aren't working is fallacious. Personally, I know of several people who are/have been threatened with this. Two couples and two single lads, all mid 30's. The couples have already decided that they're off to England, because there's shag all for them to look forward to, with regards to housing. One of the single lads got notice from his landlord that he "changed his mind on selling", I doubt he was ever going to sell and was just interested in shifting tennants instead and, lastly, the other lad is facing genuine homelessness.

All of them are working.

Our current situation re. housing is a very serious one. Not just presently, but for the future too. And the hand waving going on in this thread is symptomatic of a lot of people who just don't give a shit, because either A. it doesn't affect them directly (and you'd see a different tune being sung if it did) or B. they benefit from the current crisis in some way.

And we've other ticking timebombs in this country to worry about as well.

I agree that the people need to obey the law but like I pointed out there are less that 1200 properties for rent in the country at the moment, not everyone will have family and friend to fall back on and to emigrate that is not something that can be done at the drop of a hat, that takes a bit of planning so where do those people go? Also this impacts on those companies that have set up here, how many staff will they lose because the staff were given a notice of termination and now have to leave the country because they have nowhere to go. It is a complete and utter sh1tshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The knock on affect of young(ish) people leaving is the big concern here.

We're struggling to find good staff in our place. Many of our staff are renting. There is concern that they may leave the country altogether of their Landlord attempts to evict. There are stack of them that have already put in to work in other European offices.

Normally I'd have an idea on what to do long term to fix and issue like this in a scalable way (I suppose everyone does), but I can't really see a medium term solution for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bluedex

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Can't say I was a fan, no. 😁

Back to creative writing class for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

1200 on Daft at a given time. Daft isn't the entirety of the rental market,quite a few never need to be advertised no doubt.

Not saying it's great,but it's not twelve hundred and that's it.

I think it's kind of a catch 22 situation.

No one wants to build council estates, as the long term issues they create is well understood at this point. I think this is the main reason HAP was brought in. I don't think the amount of Tax you pay should entitle you more to a house than another person. I do however believe people like Nurses, Garda, Soldiers, Firefighters should get a reduced rate of rent for a place close to where they work. (This happens in London).

The planning in terms of what we've built, how it was built and where we built it has been very poor in the last 30 years

As an example of poor planning:

The Motorola site and surrounding area such as Millers Glen in Swords are seeing huge amounts of residential development.... Any sign of Metro North???? Nope!

As far as non city centre residential estates go, I'd regard it as medium to medium-high density. (Lots of Dupex's and 4 story apartments and many 3 bed Semi-D, along with 3 story Houses with very small front and back gardens.)

Even on the Swords Express through the tunnel it took an hour to get from Glen Ellan Rd to Eden Quay this morning. 7:30 -> 8:30. That service beginning to max out.

G.

• Advertisement

Well if half of Europe isn't experiencing close to what Ireland is experiencing, then half of Europe is. That is the logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bluedex

Thanks for your concern, it's touching. But no need to worry about me, it only took a few minutes.

😉

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭kazamo

The issue is small landlords leaving the market and they generally don’t own a block of flats, so your apology is a complete red herring.

If however you apply that to the owners of one or two properties looking to sell, I am not aware of a cohort of new entrant landlords looking to buy with tenets in situ. The owner occupier market will stay away also, so in one measure, you make the rental property unsaleable. I can’t see that situation ending well for either party……

It sure is a sh1tshow, but politicians need to be responsible. What proportion of people when all options are exhausted have to overhold?

Now what proportion will overhold when elected politicians tell everyone it's acceptable to do so?

'It's ok to ignore the law when you claim that you need to' is a dangerous precedent to set.

Everything the politicians come up with in this area is designed to cover up their own failures, they are locking up private property to cover housing needs that are the responsibility of the government. If they housed all the HAP renters for example instead of using private rental units and private landlords we'd be back to a functioning rental market, private units freed up for non HAP renters.

What they are doing now is buying from exiting landlords and under the circumstances they have no choice.

It would be far better to keep those landlords invested and use that money to build social housing units.

They could easily announce a multi faceted scheme to keep landlords in, but the opposition would wail at them giving money to landlords and they don't have the backbone to stand up to that with a proper long term plan that involves some short term pain.

If you aren't in a position to buy even with a government scheme and you have to move or emigrate then that is just something that happened due to the state of this country, no-one has to like it and you can feel it isn't fair but unfair things happen all the time, in fact more often than not historically.

Seizing up private property isn't the 'solution' we need, and it isn't a good signal to foreign investment either as bad as a rental crisis is there too.

That's because Metro Norht would be another example of something that is an expensive long term project and pays off in the future.

It's much better to spend any budget surplus on short term measures that win votes.

Sure that could get launched when another party is in government and they'd get the credit and votes.

Same principle applies to any long term infrastructure and housing.

I don't think we can complain because you get what you vote for and the politicians are just reacting to what people want and that is short term payouts in this country.

No self-respecting landlord is advertising on Daft. There are other ways to get tenants - advertising through employers, word-of-mouth, using estate agents with trusted clients.

Advertising on Daft is inviting trouble.

Can you please refrain from "Saying it like it is" 🤣

Swords will be classed as a city very soon (needs 50,000 to be a city, currently at 43,000 and growing rapidly, I'd say less than 10 years). When it does, it will be the only city without rail transport... It will have an Airport however.

There is huge rental market in swords too, with many of those renting working in the Airport. The Airport already has staffing issues.

I think it was 15 or 20% had to be Social Housing but there was a time a developer could buy themselves out of that obligation and that was what they were doing, not sure if they can do that now. Also we have seen on here and heard the government berating the opposition for opposing housing developments and a lot of time the reason for the objection is that the developer has got a sweet heart deal on the Public Land and wants to build majority of the housing for Private sale with only the minimum for Social housing, where as if the developer gets a sweet heart deal to develop public land the majority of housing then should be Social housing.

The shortages are going to get worse if this problem is not fixed, maybe the government will need to look at some temporary housing solution like was done in Britain after WW2 when they had to rebuild a lot of the country after the bombing. But then again not only do we have a housing shortage, we also have a builder/trades shortage as well and if you bring in people from other countries where to do they get accommodation or do developers need to adopt a Keelings way of doing and provide the accommodation for the workers on the site.

Oh for god sake I was replying to another post where the person suggested that renters should be doing a no filter search on daft, I did it just to see what was out there and that was the result.

Anyway no need to worry then all those renters now facing eviction will be sorted as you say there is plenty of the accommodation out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,229 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

you know what I meant. :)

Reminds me of the Dennis Skinner quote :D

Advertisement