Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gas system vs All electric

Options
  • 07-03-2023 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

We just yesterday had an offer accepted on a house which will require extensive renovations in particular, a full replumb. The existing house uses oil and the system looks like the original. Oil tank looks bone dry. I check with the gas website and there is gas within 15m. We’re based in a residential neighborhood in Dublin.

The question I have is whether we should a) bring gas to the house, get new boiler etc b) go all electric, electric shower, heater etc. or c) go the heat pump route. The house is a 50s house and has had nothing done to it, BER G so I know the last option, we would need to get air tightness etc up to snuff but just want to gauge peoples thoughts on which way to proceed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Cart before horse.

Why don't you approach this from the other direction and determine how to do the best job you can on the thermal envelope (might be easier than you think on a 50's house!) and then based on the expected heat demand / heat load decide how best to supply the little heat it may need?

That is how I would proceed.

More specific to your question:

Option a: not sustainable longterm, probably only short to medium term option without heat loss reduction works.

Option b: will break the bank in running costs

Option c: see above

Advertisement