Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Existing house extension

Options
  • 07-03-2023 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some feedback.

I currently bought an existing house and the original footprint from when it was built in the 1960's which I'm led to believe was a council house built in the countryside.

There was an extension built onto the existing house in maybe the1980s of 35 m2 with a flat roof. Looking at the local authority planning files available online there is no records at all.

I am looking to demolish the extension as the blocks and roof are poor.

I am rebuilding on the exact same footprint of the extension but to square it off properly and make the roof secure the rebuild of the extension will be 51 m2.

Technically I am only extending the original floor area of the existing house which is in place 40 odd years by 16m2 which is under the 40 m2 planning permission size.

My concern is though there may be no planning permission for the extension which means if I rebuild the extension again I'm actually adding on 51m2 to the original floor that would have had planning because it was a council house.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

You could get planning for it retrospectively due to the amount of time the extension is up and no one objected but you may be tied into the dimensions of whats there. I would simply put in for planning its straight forward and you will know in 6 to 8 weeks and ring the planning office of your local authority I have found them very helpful and explain your situation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Confirm your email address so you can post properly, then I'll move this to a forum that's actually related to the topic instead.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Planning permission required for what you propose to do now as the area of the existing extension must be deducted from the area of the 40 m.sq. exemption.

If the existing extension is 35 m.sq., you could extend that by 5 m.sq. without planning, but anything bigger will require planning permission.

The existing extension is only considered original to the existing house if built before 1963.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,046 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Agreed.

Just to add that the existing extension, if built to the rear of the house, would most likely have been exempt from planning subject to a couple of conditions. If built to the side it would require planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Johnoboyo

The 35m2 extension is currently completely to the rear of the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,046 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As DOCARCH said you could now add an additional 5 m2 without planning but anything above that size will require PP.

Advertisement